Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know current scrap steel value?
DarrenW

posted on 10/11/08 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know current scrap steel value?

As title, just wondering what the value of scrap steel is at the mo. Just before summer we were getting £150 a tonne for mixed and £200 for heavy (and higher than that at certain times). Ive heard its dropped rather a lot since then.

bob

posted on 10/11/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what the price of scrap is at the moment but it must have plumeted, i am starting to see cars dumped in the road again which is something we havnt seen for the past 18 months or so.

Would be interesting to know what the avarage car weighs in at nowadays.

JoelP

posted on 10/11/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
the man who collects my kitchen waste says he weighed in something like 3 washers and 2 ovens and got £2.20. According to him it has plummeted. Not sure about copper, but i'll just hold onto mine if the price has dropped.
chrisg

posted on 10/11/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I weighed 20kgs in and the guy asked me what colour balloon I wanted!

£48 a ton locally (Sheffield)

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Krismc

posted on 10/11/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Dropped from £200 a ton down to £28 a ton in three years at the one i go too. Im gutted cause the bronze and copper is going down now and i aint finished sorting it.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Simon

posted on 10/11/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
Im gutted cause the bronze and copper is going down now and i aint finished sorting it.

I'm quite pleased bronze and copper are on the tumble

We use it at work and have been paying £4800 (LG3) for ingots, all because the copper price had peaked at over $9,000/tonne. That's now down to $3,800

We used to pay a £1000/tonne!!

ATB

Simon

clairetoo

posted on 11/11/08 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Will this mean the return of the £50 banger ? Hooray for cheap motoring

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

02GF74

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
.. and the reason is?

DarrenW

posted on 11/11/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
.. and the reason is?

..... so that i can decide if its worth scrapping some off. If ill be lucky to break £50 a tonne then its not worth the bother.

Secretly im also hoping that steel prices continue to drop globally. All of our parts at work are made in China and we have terrible trouble squeezing cost increases out of our European customers, whereas our own factories seem to be able to sleep soundly at night after hiking them up dramatically.
I need to find out where i can track global commodity pricing so i can justify a price review with them.

02GF74

posted on 11/11/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ no, wondering why the price has dropped so much, suely the Chinese haven;t had their fill of it yet or is their economy slowing down as well?

DarrenW

posted on 11/11/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Chinese economy is certainly slowing. Ive seen a reduction in their steel costs recently but not sure what the % is.

As an aside - the company i work for is Chinese. About 6 months ago the VP of the American side (son in law of the company owner) was reporting that a lot of Chinese companies will be going bust soon. He said a lot had been borrowing money with interest rates at about 10% per months (yes - per month). We queried how he knew and he simply said because our company was one of the money lenders. He was basically saying that a lot of them borrowed to expand production capability etc but will struggle to meet repayments. He warned that a lot of people in the west buy goods and pay up front and will come unstuck at some point by not having the goods sent. His prophacy is certainly coming true (he was reporting this before the media got hold of the credit crunch and global issues theme). Our company isnt the cheapest but we never demand payment until goods arrive so was saying we should use this as part of our marketing.

Simon

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
My bro lives in Oz and runs his own freight logistics business. He was in China a couple of weeks ago and reckoned there was one particular area where nearly 30,000 business had folded (yes, thirty thousand!!!). More the better in my book as they rely on state subsidies to keep raw material costs at unreasonably low levels, which would be ok if the rest of us where on the same playing field.

ATB

Simon

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/11/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Its £20 a tonne here now, a load of scrappies are going to go bust as the price dropped so suddenly. They have hundreds of cars stockpiled that the paid £100 for which are now only worth £20.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Simon

posted on 12/11/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like they might have to do some work to earn it back, like recycle salvage, rather than buy, store and flog

ATB

Simon

Syd Bridge

posted on 13/11/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Resale market value for scrap is usually about 10 times what the scrappy gives you. At least that's what it seems down here.

Cheers,
Syd.

DarrenW

posted on 13/11/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I cant confirm the 10x bit but i did hear our local merchant was taking scrap direct to the dock earlier this year and getting silly money for it. I did hear he was paying £200 a ton for heavy and selling it on for over £400 - but i suspect he would be getting more than that.

Some merchants in the west of the country were paying far less than £200 a tonne though cos they had to move it over to the docks on east coast so were factoring in additional haulage. I know someone who deals with farms who said a farmer he knows cleared his yard (lots of tonnes) and it was worth his while to transport the scrap 100 to 150 miles (one way) to merchants in North East.
Now though it would seem people will prefer to hold onto it if they have space.

02GF74

posted on 13/11/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
My bro lives in Oz and runs his own freight logistics business. He was in China a couple of weeks ago and reckoned there was one particular area where nearly 30,000 business had folded (yes, thirty thousand!!!).

sensationalist statistic perhaps? since there are 10 chinese to every other person on the planet and a business is probably classed as one man and his grandma making t shirts, the figures are insignificant to the total number of businesses in China. Probably.

locoboy

posted on 14/11/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
4 months ago i was getting £240 for a discovery shell with the interoor and a load of junk in it complete with a chassis.

We stopped taking them when we got £34, approx £20 per tonne.

We are now stockpiling it, its not worth our journey (one at a time) to weigh them in.

My old man sells steel and has done for 40 years.

His company has 9000 tonnes of different steel products sat at docks around the UK bought at an average price of £700 per tonne, now worth about £400 per tonne, thats a loss of £2700000

ATB
Locoboy

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/11/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
But on the bright side.
Chinese economy goes tits up......means cheaper TIG sets for us.
I think I may wait a while.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/11/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Does it mean that the price of new stock steel will be coming down? Back to £80 for all the steel needed to build a chassis?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

DarrenW

posted on 19/11/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
New steel costs are defo falling. Maybe not back to same levels as a few years ago but a few % off in the last few months.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.