Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer Building Legal question
Jasongray5

posted on 11/2/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer Building Legal question

I had to build a trailer for my boat! I know its very strong because i pulled it over a ploughed feild with a quad bike and it didn't fall apart, I then pulled it along a private road with the boat this time at 70mph and it pulled strait without skipping or bouncing, so in essance, I know the trailer is good? But do home built trailers have to face the equivelent to a SVA?
Cheers Guys Jas Gray

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

hughpinder

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you're in the uk, not yet, but it has been on the news in the recent past that they may introduce a MOT equivalent for trailers

Hugh

coozer

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Reading through the draft IVA it looks like they are to included in it!

Bad, bad news indeed....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Jasongray5

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
boat trailer
boat trailer

Picture of said trialer,
So do I have time to register it (or something) before IVA? Do all home built trailers have to face this??

I have since added mud guards and tow hitch...

[Edited on 11/2/09 by Jasongray5]

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

Slater

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
The new IVA states that any home built trailer must pass the following tests:

1) Pull trailer over a ploughed field using a quad bike, the trailer is deemed to pass if nothing falls off.

2) Pull trailer at 70mph along a private road. A pass is deemed as long as the trailer does not skip or bounce.

Sorry.......couldn't resist.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

yellow melos

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
So will this mean that all trailers will have a VIN plate or some sort of identification ???
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
your trailer looks just like my dingys one, more than up to the task. No testing required

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I believe in NZ they have to present their trailers for testing much like the SVA in the UK... and also have an engineer inspect it during construction..

Its just more red tape to prevent people enjoying their "freedom" and to remove more need for common sence....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/2/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
probably ask for full distructive load testing too

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 11/2/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Better get a job lot of pre-printed /dated chassis plates for any trailers I may build in future
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/2/09 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
This is unfeasable.

The government have no logs of what trailers are out there now, so how can they prove that a trailer is new and therefore in need of a test?

Even if the test came in, I'd just claim its an old un that I've spruced up a bit.

What is next, MOT's for bikes? IVA's for wheelchairs? I bet it never happens, or if it does it will involve every law abiding citizen who currently has a trailer have to get them registered, which is just dumb!

02GF74

posted on 11/2/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I believe in NZ they have to present their trailers for testing much like the SVA in the UK... and also have an engineer inspect it during construction..

Its just more red tape to prevent people enjoying their "freedom" and to remove more need for common sence....

I am sure you would not say it is a bad thing if you got twatted in the face by a metal bar that came off a bady welded trailer.

On a different note, seeing how some people attach bikes to bike racks or large items, usually sheets of plywood held on by bungee after visiting B&Q makes me want to keep well away from them.

owelly

posted on 11/2/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
All new trailers have to be plated and stamped. The have to comply with whatever European gubbins apply. And they have to be CE marked and include EU Type approval. I seem to remember it applies to any trailer built after 1992 but I'm a bit fuzzy on dates!
However, if that trailer, or any other trailer for that matter, was built before 1992 and just modified, refurbished or repainted, then who's to know!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

MkII

posted on 11/2/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think some sort of mot type test for trailers would be a good thing, i get a lot of trailers in at work to have brakes and lights repaired or replaced but when i strip them down it is obvious they have been inoperative for quite some time.some of these trailers are carrying loads of several tons regulary and the vehicles towing them are not going to be able to stop in a hurry with no trailer brakes! .m.
dhutch

posted on 11/2/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
To answer the op, no, nothing needs doing as far as i know.
- I built a 8*4ft flatbed trailer (using parts from peak trailers kit parts list) and just threw it on the road.

Its a stonking trailer, and safe as houses, and a basic test of it prove that. However, would also be an additional cost im happy not to pay.

That said, there are a lot of peices of absolute junk out there, rust heaps, insuffenctly spec'ed chassis members, massivly damaged/unsafe tyres. etc. That realisitcally i would not want to be following ever.
- And they shouldnt be on the road.

That said the system that we have now (where theres no test, but you can get pulled for an unsafe trailer) does seam to keep most of them off the road.

Daniel

matt_claydon

posted on 11/2/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Type approval for trailers (and corresponding IVA for one-offs) is coming in in 2012.

Currently your trailer is still obliged to meet C&U regulations which are essentially the same requirements, it's just that you don't have to prove it to anyone before you can use the trailer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.