Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh Dear... I think I've just done a silly...
James

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Dear... I think I've just done a silly...

Been boarding my loft this afternoon. Done it before fine on an identical house.

The joists at the outer ends of the house are approx. 50mm lower so I spaced them up by 50mm for the boards to sit on by *nailing* 50mm lengths of timber. I screwed them down in the other house.

Came down for a cuppa and had a browse on DIY forums... the one thing I've read several times is *not* to nail stuff cost the plaster comes down.

I'm now too scared to go up to the bedroom to check if the ceiling now needs re-plastering!

Gulp... here we go....

Oh, and girlfriend has just arrived home. This could be interesting!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

hellbent345

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
oh, sh*t
hellbent345

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
hope it hasnt come down fella!
chris_smith

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Guinness

Whoops!

Mike

omega0684

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
don't leave us in suspence what happened?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Come on then - whats the damage (to the ceiling as well as your face if the missus see's you have trashed it)???
mookaloid

Description
Description

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

handyandy

just tell the girlfriend that you must have big mice in the loft, go into the loft & "sort" the problem out, & come down a hero in her eyes.

James

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Phew!

One 10mmx10mm flake of paint/plaster where one of the plaster board nails has come down a bit.

Phew!

Have a nice weekend everyone!!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
One 10mmx10mm flake of paint/plaster where one of the plaster board nails has come down a bit.

Phew!

Have a nice weekend everyone!!!

Cheers,
James

So we wont be having our first forum murder then?? I feel almost cheated now!!!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
For future reference...

I used a special bit in my drill - one end is the drill bit, complete with pilot, main bit and countersink and the other has a screwdriver.

The sequence was drill a few holes, push in screws, turn the bit over and whizz them home, start again.

balidey

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
its the snow ball effect, it jsut starts with a bit 10mm by 10mm, then bigger bits start falling. You best get the hoover out now
JoelP

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
For future reference...

I used a special bit in my drill - one end is the drill bit, complete with pilot, main bit and countersink and the other has a screwdriver.

The sequence was drill a few holes, push in screws, turn the bit over and whizz them home, start again.

we use them at work, a real godsend. Dewalt flip bits i call them, no idea what they are really called!

designer

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same years ago and EVERY board nail head was exposed. It looked like it had been snowing in the bedroom.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
For future reference...

we use them at work, a real godsend. Dewalt flip bits i call them, no idea what they are really called!

I always go one better and use two drivers.

Hellfire

posted on 27/2/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I did the same years ago and EVERY board nail head was exposed. It looked like it had been snowing in the bedroom.

James

posted on 28/2/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
For future reference...

I've seen those bits. They do look good.

TBH, I mostly use the Screwfix 'Gold' type (or whatever they're called) screws which need neither a pilot hole nor counter-sinking. You just drive them straight in.

Combine them with an 18v Makita and it makes life very easy!

Cheers,
James

owelly

posted on 28/2/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
That's just brought back memories of seing Miss Owelly's legs dangling through the ceiling a couple of weeks ago. I laughed so much a near spilt my Quavers. She dangled and cried for 20minutes. I blame it on the hormones. I told her she shouldn't be climbing around when she's seven months pregnant.........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.