Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Uses for a 12V winch.
zilspeed

posted on 19/4/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Uses for a 12V winch.

Not that I have a 4x4.
I was researching the guts of 12V winches (as you do after cutting the grass and whilst drinking your tea.)
It's a 12V high torque but compact, lightweight and cheap motor - think about it.

Anyway, stumbled across this interesting thread on a 4x4 forum.

Talking of winches....although a bit off topic......

I was talking to a mate on the weekend who was recalling a conversation he'd had with a bloke a whaile ago.

Bloke was out camping and looking at his nice, expensive, shiny newish winch which he had never had to use. In the background his kids were squabbling cos they were bored with this camping bullchit. The proverbial light-bulb clicked on for the bloke.

He reeled out the winch cable up a bit of a slope and tethered it (using his tree-trunk protector of course) to a tree. Placed an inflated inner tube in front of the bullbar and rigged up a flying fox for his kids to play on.

He now feels better cos he's getting some use from his winch; plus kids are having a ball!!!

Now I need to go onto ebay and get me some 4x4 action.

As Pooh Bear would say, "oh bother".

dinosaurjuice

posted on 19/4/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Not that I have a 4x4.
I was researching the guts of 12V winches (as you do after cutting the grass and whilst drinking your tea.)
It's a 12V high torque but compact, lightweight and cheap motor - think about it.

a reversing motor for a bec, obviously

speedyxjs

posted on 19/4/09 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Starter motor for me jag engine?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 19/4/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
quote:
Not that I have a 4x4.

My first thought too, till I looked on eBay. No load speed 10m per minute. With 1.8 tonnes, 5m/min. With a BEC in tow, probably 8m per minute and that's 0.3 MPH. Also the 100A draw pulling a locost could be troublesome. Nice idea but where would you attach the rope?

zilspeed

posted on 19/4/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
quote:
Not that I have a 4x4.

My first thought too, till I looked on eBay. No load speed 10m per minute. With 1.8 tonnes, 5m/min. With a BEC in tow, probably 8m per minute and that's 0.3 MPH. Also the 100A draw pulling a locost could be troublesome. Nice idea but where would you attach the rope?

Boom boom....

The 5m/min bit is after the reduction gears have done their bit.
strip out the reduction gears and have it driving the sprocket that you fit to the rear halfshaft or whatever just to do that job.

Regarding the 100A draw.
How do you imagine these things are powered in their normal useage as a winch ?
Heavyweight dedicated wiring right back to the battery perhaps ?
I have even seen some operating off huge crocky clips like your jump leads, and those work fine too. (As a winch, obviously ;-) )
The fact that they also come with a flying lead for the controls as well kind of adds to the argument.

Then theres's the additional bit that kind of nails it for me. Saw one fitted to a car last week in a paddock.
Guess what?

Works great.

Getting a sprocket made up to suit the various requirements will present no great problem either.

I'll keep y'all posted.

[Edited on 19/4/09 by zilspeed]

designer

posted on 19/4/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
The Swedish bloke used a winch motor on his trike build.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 19/4/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Found it

http://www.home.mride.se/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 19/4/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Starter motor for me jag engine?

i think you'd need some sort of hydraullic motor start for that, like they use on ships :p

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

minitici

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look in my photo archive!
Reverse on Sierra Chain Drive
Reverse on Sierra Chain Drive

Gives about 1 mph backwards with the chain drive differential.

I fitted an AB supplied bike starter motor reverse to a Westfield last week and was somewhat taken aback by the almighty bang as the motor engages - nearly ripped the brackets off the chassis.

With my winch motor, the dirive take up is much more gentle and does not try to rip off the teeth.

speedyxjs

posted on 22/4/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
The Swedish bloke used a winch motor on his trike build.

Not much of a looker though is it?

[img]ttp://d7302617.u46.surftown.se/images/T42/153-5377_web_IMG.jpg[/img]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.