Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Odd tintop noise
novacaine

posted on 17/6/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Odd tintop noise

Hi all,

It's coming up to MOT time and my car has started making an odd noise

It makes a speed dependant clicking noise from the left front on left lock, if the wheels are straight or with right lock no clicking noise, only on left lock and only when the car is heavy ( 3 passengers + driver)

I'm hoping it's outer cv as I need to replace that boot anyway, but part of me is dreading that it's diff related

It's a mk2 fiat punto jtd on an x Reg if that helps

As always, pointers and opinions are greatly appriciated

Cheers

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

fesycresy

posted on 17/6/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Any noise when you do a circle on full lock at low speed ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

novacaine

posted on 17/6/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
With everyone on board yes but only on left lock, no noise if it is right lock or without the passengers

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

blakep82

posted on 17/6/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
mate had the same noise on his mk3 golf, if was a cv joint. fingers crossed

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

novacaine

posted on 17/6/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
to add a bit more about the problem,

it is only really noticeable under load,

If I do circles on full lock with a small bit of power applied it will click, and again with driving at speed, it will click all the time on left lock but get louder when power is applied, again, only with a full load of passengers

thanks for the replies,

oh and a bit of a numpty question, if i take the boot off will it be obvious if the CV is damaged? will there be play in it?

as you can imagine, i would rather not fork out the £60 on a new CV when I don't need it

Steve G

posted on 17/6/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I got half way through and immediately thought CV joint...... and then you said it yourself.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/6/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
ditto, its the joint

one of the tests to do when looking at buying a car

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
novacaine

posted on 17/6/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
thanks all, will put a nearside outer cv on order

Cheers

Matt

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/6/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would repack it with grease first and see if it cures it, it may have split a boot before you owned it and not been repacked properly.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

tomprescott

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I would repack it with grease first and see if it cures it, it may have split a boot before you owned it and not been repacked properly.

Agreed

Dusty

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
If the boots been split a while it may be packed with grinding paste. Another possibility is front wheel bearing. Easy to test by jacking up and trying to wobble the wheel with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.