Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP - don't let me buy a Toyota Townace
nick205

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
HELP - don't let me buy a Toyota Townace

Oh dear

With 3 young kids to ferry about, SWMBO has advised (strongly) that we need to replace our faithful 2000 (W) Pug 306 with something larger. Whilst I don't disagree, the Pug is a very known quantity in terms of history, low mileage @ 72k and in very good nick.

My co. car is a Passt estate which is ample moving us all about at weekends/evenings so it's really just the local weekday journeys we're talking about - the Pug currently does less than 6k miles a year!

Anyhow, SWMBO starts looking on Autotrader and being a bit of a comedian I suggested she might like something like a Toyota Townace. Taking me at my word she started looking at them and has now decided that they fit the bill perfectly

I can't let this happen

I need some options and alternatives so what can you merry men suggest...

Budget £2-3k
Seats 5+
Diesel or Petrol as mileage is so low
Boot to take a double buggy
Some shred of street cred would be nice

maartenromijn

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Volvo 850 / V70?

Mercedes 200 td /250 td / 300td? Runs on vegetable oil!

German TEC
German TEC

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

matt_claydon

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Townace is RWD is it not? I smell a donor vehicle...
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
we just bought a grand scenic and despite myself i have to its ace.

when i say ace, i mean, it is designed for families and it shows. 7 seats when you need them, massive boot when you dont.

you might be able to get one for £4k..
found one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-RENAULT-GRAND-SCENIC-1-6-VVT-Authentique_W0QQitemZ300328768282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item45ecfd531a&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14

Agriv8

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
old landrover county if you dont have a tarmac drive..regrads

Agriv8

Ps Passat estate do seem to be able to swallow alot of stuff dont they mines getting redy for a trip to switserland

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

coozer

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Starwagon. Comfy, versatile 4x4.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maartenromijn
Volvo 850 / V70?

Mercedes 200 td /250 td / 300td? Runs on vegetable oil!

German TEC
German TEC

Diesels cheaper than veg oil atm.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
yeah but with some slight body mods...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Wasn't the town ace described on top gear as handling like a space hopper? Wasn't it What Car? or someone who said it was seriously unstable?

For 2 kids and a lot of stuff, an estate car would surely be a better bet than an MPV. Why not find a 306SW as you like your current 306? mid sized estates were never big sellers but there are a few to chose from. The Focus is a well liked car and there was an estate. Citroen do one. There's even been a polo estate.

balidey

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Picasso. Very good car (for what it is)
Also if you can get past the looks (and by the post above I think your wife can ) then the Fiat Multipla is a fantastic family car. I would have bought one but the wife refused to drive it. The newer ones look normal but are still out of my budget.

Guinness

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

My mate has one of those Delicious Star Wagons.

It's way underpowered, lurches alarmingly in corners, but apparently has L200 running gear underneath?

It does however have electric curtains! Single switch on the dash closes all the curtains with an ominous swish

Mike

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

My mate has one of those Delicious Star Wagons.

It's way underpowered, lurches alarmingly in corners, but apparently has L200 running gear underneath?

It does however have electric curtains! Single switch on the dash closes all the curtains with an ominous swish

Mike

the seats flop back to horizontal and 70's slap bass comes over the stereo....

Guinness

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
the seats flop back to horizontal and 70's slap bass comes over the stereo....

Worryingly accurate The velurlux interior was hideous too!

Mike

nick205

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

Agriv8

Ps Passat estate do seem to be able to swallow alot of stuff dont they mines getting redy for a trip to switserland

A Landy has been discussed and hasn't been ruled out although I can't help thinking they're a bit dear for what they are. I also have a tendancy to shout abusively at 4x4 drivers round our way, but then they're mostly of the Merc ML/Lexus variety

Yup! The Passat is a big ole load lugger for sure. I haven't had to move anything that won't fit in it yet including sofas, railway sleepers, engines, sand, rubble, family, dogs etc. (not all at the same time though!).

In reality I suspect it's going to be a Scenic/Picasso that gets the job - I'd just prefer something a little less obvious

gottabedone

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'd second the Espace - We had one for years - we have 2 kids and 2 big dogs. Anything from 2 to 7 seats and a transit sized rear for the diy/dump stuff. 2.2 Turbo Diesel made it a fast tractor.

I have a 307 estate now - more car like with loads of room and the rear seats lift out too.

regards

Steve

[Edited on 29/7/09 by gottabedone]

Agriv8

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Agriv8

A Landy has been discussed and hasn't been ruled out although I can't help thinking they're a bit dear for what they are. I also have a tendancy to shout abusively at 4x4 drivers round our way, but then they're mostly of the Merc ML/Lexus variety

Yup! The Passat is a big ole load lugger for sure. I haven't had to move anything that won't fit in it yet including sofas, railway sleepers, engines, sand, rubble, family, dogs etc. (not all at the same time though!).

In reality I suspect it's going to be a Scenic/Picasso that gets the job - I'd just prefer something a little less obvious

On My second got the first to 214k new one has a 'wind whitle' from the nearside at 60 MPH plus and is really getting on my T1T's going to try sone vasaline on the seals before a trip to oxford at the weekend to see if that eleviates the problem or its likley to get a match halsway through France

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

balidey

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

We looked at both, and much prefered the Picasso. The scenic actually felt much smaller inside. Odd seeing as they are basically the same car.

And as I said earlier, if you want a less obvious choice, the Multipla is a cracking car, and 'quirky' looks

nick205

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

On My second got the first to 214k new one has a 'wind whitle' from the nearside at 60 MPH plus and is really getting on my T1T's going to try sone vasaline on the seals before a trip to oxford at the weekend to see if that eleviates the problem or its likley to get a match halsway through France

Regards

Agriv8

Haven't suffered the wind whistle issue although there is an irritating rattle from the glove box area (even with the glove box empty). Amusing how these little things can get out of proportion when you subjected to them for hours on end

My parents had a Passat years ago (A reg) which had a rattle from the instrument panel. My mum drove the car day in day out and it didn't bother her. My dad drove the car for 2 weeks on holiday one year and nearly dismantled the entire dash on the side of a french motorway. Ended up with a bright yellow Bic biro jammed at an angle between the instrument cover and the dash surround - rattle gone.

The car was sold some years later with the same Bic biro still in place accompanied by an explanation to the new owner

blakep82

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
you brought it on yourself...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

chris_smith

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
we have the Seat Alhambra had for a few years now "S" Reg diesel and its been brilliant really good on running costs etc it fly's through mot's with no more than the odd brake pad or bulb to replace and all the seats pop out when you need to move big stuff, cant recommend enogh really, its also the one which shared with vw sharan and ford galaxy

chris

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

nick205

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
you brought it on yourself...

Sadly that's not quite the case - a 2nd child was the family plan for our 3 bed house, modest income and mid size cars.

The result turned out to be twins requiring 2 of everything, a bigger house and bigger cars. Only problem is the income has remained modest

SteveWalker

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's a bit of a squeeze, but we can fit three child seats into the back of a Focus without any bother.
lotusmadandy

posted on 29/7/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have an 04 plate zafira,it is my second
and have had one now for 5 years they both have given perfect service in that time with minimal repairs.

Andy

MikeRJ

posted on 29/7/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
The Toyota Lucida/Estima are generaly pretty good VFM, though watch out for overheating issues with the diesel engine as they tend to crack heads.
nick205

posted on 29/7/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Right...I think I've found the optimum solution...

Big enough - yes
A little interesting - yes
Potential for tinkering - yes
Cheap - enough

Now, just have to persuade SWMBO it's the right one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Cortina-MkV-estate-2-8-injection_W0QQitemZ190324509867QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2c50398cab& amp;_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.