Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tin top question - damaged track rod ends?
novacaine

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
tin top question - damaged track rod ends?

hi all,

ive got a bit of a problem with my punto,

ive tried to undo the track rod ends from the upright using a wrench, was a bit tight then it went pop and now i cant undo the nut as the threaded shaft just spins,

ive got a replacement end and ive had a play with it, that spins too when i turn the nut but no where near as easily, ive tried getting an impact wrench on the old one and that doesnt work, if i impact the new end then the bolt tightens up exactley as it should

easy option would just be to chop the old end off and replace it with the new one but i cant for the life of me get the securing nut off the steering rack so im gonna send it into a garage to have them do it

just to clarify, the nut i cant move is the one that is labeled (1) in the following diagram

punto track rod ends
punto track rod ends

as it currently stands the nut is half way down the shaft of the track rod end, i need a way of tightning it to get the car to a garage, there is not allen key slot in the end of it.

should i take the steering rack out and cut the old rod end and take the whole lot to a garage?

cheers for your help everyone

matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

adithorp

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Put a bar against to top of the TRE and lever against something solid on the body, Then T**T... Sorry...tap it hard to reseat the taper. Keep the pressure on and TIGHTEN it with the impact gun. Run it back and forward untill it comes with plenty of easing oil. If that doesn't work get the nut hot (melts out the nylock) and try again...while its hot.

Don't pick up the nut when it comes off.

adrian

[Edited on 25/8/09 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeRJ

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Use a big lever between a convenient part of the chassis and the top of the track rod end to force the taper into the steering arm. This should prevent it turning enough to undo it.

Depending on the type of ball joint extractor you have, it may be possible to turn it upside down, put the forked end around the nut and the other on top of the track rod end and use it to force the taper into place.

[Edited on 25/8/09 by MikeRJ]

MikeR

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
lower the car onto the ground, the weight of the car will stop it spinning.
adithorp

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
lower the car onto the ground, the weight of the car will stop it spinning.

How???

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeR

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
dunno - but its exactly the problem i had with a mates car years ago, struggled all day. mechanic mate came over and suggested what i've just said. Did it and it worked.

Then needed to get out the ball joint extractor to split it.

(actually now wondering if we also put a jack under the joint when the car was on the ground - it was years ago)

r1_pete

posted on 25/8/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
dunno - but its exactly the problem i had with a mates car years ago, struggled all day. mechanic mate came over and suggested what i've just said. Did it and it worked.

Then needed to get out the ball joint extractor to split it.

(actually now wondering if we also put a jack under the joint when the car was on the ground - it was years ago)

Works for top and bottom ball joints, I wouldn't want to jack up against the steering arm.

You need to either lock the taper up again as has been suggested, or grind the nut off....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maartenromijn

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Like above, angle grinder is the way to go!

The new TRE locking nu can be done easily because the taper will grip inside the upright.

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

Howlor

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've often used a G-Cramp to hold it in the taper.

Steve

austin man

posted on 25/8/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with most methods, the problem is that it has come away from the taper you could even saw the thread off. Just make sure that you crack the locknut on the steering arm to enable you to remove the track rod end.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

britishtrident

posted on 25/8/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
As already said use a lever put pressure on the taper, then you should be able to retighten it. Then clean the threads with a wire brush, then you can slacken the nut back off while you push the TRE into the socket push the TRE

Before undoing a TRE or any other bolt thread exposed to road muck it always pays to first wire brush the threads to stop the crap on the exposed thread jamming under the nut as you unscrew it.

[Edited on 25/8/09 by britishtrident]

novacaine

posted on 1/9/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
just for the record,

ive fixed the problem, there was a load of rubbish clogged between the nylock part and the thread, so I G-clamped the TRE and burnt the nylock away with a few matches and got the impact wrench on it, would have worked fine with a normal ratchet as well I suspect

job done

moral of the story : dont be lazy and unscrew bolts over rusty threads, wire brush them first

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.