Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone worked in India?
DarrenW

posted on 10/9/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone worked in India?

Im in early stages of talks with an Indian company. They are looking at CV etc to see if i have what they need. Possibility of a 6 month contract job.

Has anyone ever done a similar 6 month contract with an Indian firm? ie not a firm that you work for in UK that sends you over to India for a few months. Just wondering what the implications are ref tax etc. id hate to pay tax in India and also tax in UK (as i will remain officially reident in UK, wife and kids will stay in uK too so ill have to transfer money home).

If its a big hassle i might just have to put a daft price in.

Location will be Pune, ive heard its a great place to live. Lots of big industry and afluent companies there now.

mookaloid

posted on 10/9/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Never worked there - but I've spoken to a lot of people that do

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nib1980

posted on 10/9/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
pune is big dirty industrial city, miles from anywhere.

if your gonna live out there, make sure you plan accordingly.

i've worked out there for short times with my UK based company, I love the country loads and keep going back, but i do have the backing of a major Multinational, so i get treated very well.

U2U me if you want more info

my last trip

outside factory
outside factory

[Edited on 10/9/09 by nib1980]

DarrenW

posted on 10/9/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Nib. I was sent to China a lot with last firm so have an idea what to expect. The bit im not well up on is how much to ask for as a contractor. I want to make sure its enough to live like a king while im there, enough for family to be Ok back home, taxes etc covered and a bit to put in the bank as a sweetner. Id hate to agree to a deal and find UK government want 40% of everything. If i know about it in advance ill be oK.

I very much doubt ill be out there long enough to take advantage of the 6 month tax free bit.

blakep82

posted on 10/9/09 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
well, as for living like a king, a guy i work with has just moved over from india, he was saying that if you've got a job where you earn £14,000 here (like we do) then in india, thats the equivalent of living here and earning £140,000, if you get what i mean. hopefully that gives you an idea

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Humbug

posted on 10/9/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you will be able to remain resident in the UK and not pay any UK tax.

Here is a link to a page about Double Taxation Treaties, which are "conventions between two countries that aim to eliminate the double taxation of income or gains arising in one territory and paid to residents of another territory." i.e. so you don't pay in both places.

I would get some professional advice on this if I were you - you may need to register before you go, for example?

Good luck

carpmart

posted on 10/9/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I worked for an Indian company for 3 years. I did work based from the UK but It was only me an another guy in the UK. I spent several months working in Bangalore, Chennai and Delhi.

I would suggest you talk to your accountant and he will tell you how to invoice and receive payment in the most tax efficient way.

U2U me or call me and I am happy to tell you my experiences in more detail. I'll send you my number over!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

speed8

posted on 10/9/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
You are allowed 90 days in the UK or up to 180 so long as the average over 5? years is 90days.
India will no doubt have a double taxation agreement with the UK so if you do pay tax there you can reclaim it back against your UK tax bill.

There are also part year rules for short term assignments which might help you but it's probably worth paying for an hour with a good accountant to figure what you will be liable to (I mean good tax accountant rather than your local tax return bod, some of them don't seem to be aware of half the rules for overseas workers).

I would recommend one but all of mine seem to either have heart attacks or kick the bucket

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.