Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scalextric classic track to digital
steve m

posted on 23/11/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Scalextric classic track to digital

A couple of months ago i ressurected my old scalextric (1970 model) for myself and grandson, and have added some new classic track with new handsets and power supply etc from ebay, cheap!!

I am now thinking on going digital, so we can use more cars at the same time.
so if i buy the digital pack and track converters (sport to classic)
question,
will the old track be suitable with the digital ?

roughley how long can the track be before we loose power on "the other side"as we currently have about 40 pieces of track with no noticable power drop
and with the new setup, this would be 60-70 track lengths?

and, ! has anyone noticed the price hike in scalextric on ebay since James May did the Brooklin track programme ???

some items have doubled in price

MK9R

posted on 23/11/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
A couple of months ago i ressurected my old scalextric (1970 model) for myself and grandson, and have added some new classic track with new handsets and power supply etc from ebay, cheap!!

I am now thinking on going digital, so we can use more cars at the same time.
so if i buy the digital pack and track converters (sport to classic)
question,
will the old track be suitable with the digital ?

roughley how long can the track be before we loose power on "the other side"as we currently have about 40 pieces of track with no noticable power drop
and with the new setup, this would be 60-70 track lengths?

and, ! has anyone noticed the price hike in scalextric on ebay since James May did the Brooklin track programme ???

some items have doubled in price

The new digital stuff looks brilliant!! My son has a sports set which is slowly growing, i think as time goes on i may have to upgrade to digital for "him"

From what i understand from my reading up on it, any track works with digital, you just need the cars and controllers

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
not knowing the details, I suspect this is much like trains.

the digital signal is passed on the rails and requires a decoder inside the train.

if that is the case, the track should be the same but as you say, new cars, or modified ones, are required plus the controlled.

sounds like a PIC project if you knew the protocol.

MikeRJ

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
sounds like a PIC project if you knew the protocol.

Scalextric Digital Protocol

Liam

posted on 23/11/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
The loosing power at the far end of the track problem is caused by voltage drop due to the resistance of the track and poor connections between track pieces (so worse with old dirty track, and would be worse the higher the current demand is - i.e. multiple cars with digital). I would have thought you could eliminate this by running higher guage cable from the power supply to the extremities of the track, therefore keeping the whole track at a nice 12V (or whatever it is nowadays). In fact I'm sure this is so obvious to scalextric people there must be off the shelf products available for this very task!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 23/11/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
You can, run digital on the classic track, but you need an adapter as the tracks are different. You can by a kit that transforms you classic system to digital (can contains the above converter track), it is possible..

Also you can convert the old cars to digital so long as you can fit the electronics into the old cars...

As above though the track needs to be clean and good connections else it may not work.. So I guess it depends on the state you your track..

Dan

[Edited on 23/11/09 by Bluemoon]

rallyingden

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
When I was a kid Brother & I had a track that filled parents drive ...... including a 30 foot stright !! Pits etc... Wish I still had it it would be worth a fortune

RD

MikeRJ

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
The loosing power at the far end of the track problem is caused by voltage drop due to the resistance of the track and poor connections between track pieces (so worse with old dirty track, and would be worse the higher the current demand is - i.e. multiple cars with digital).

Many years ago dad built my brother and I a huge 4 lane Scalextric track in the (converted) loft. Poor connections between track pieces was such a problem that he eventually soldered small link wires between every track section since it was a permanent layout. Was totally reliable after that unless you didn't play with it for a while, in which case the tracks needed a bit of a scrub with emery paper.

contaminated

posted on 23/11/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just get yourself a digital starter set. It'll be fine as long as your classic track is reasonable. Some info here:

http://www.slotcarcentre.co.uk/acatalog/upgrade.htm

Interestingly I've just yesterday dug all mine out. 25 cars (3 I scratch built), two complete Scalextric Sports sets and a fair bit more sport track

Oh, and bear in mind it's not just that you need to "chip" old cars to get them to use digital capabilities - analogue cars won't actually run on digital track. So if like me you like playing with the older stuff don't bother and just get some Sport track and a couple of converters.

You can use special Scalextric jump leads to power up far away parts of the track and Scalextric Sport let's you power each lane independently to avoid this. For digital, since 6 cars run in two lanes it's not an issue - other than a particular track piece that you need every so often.

[Edited on 23/11/09 by contaminated]

stevebubs

posted on 23/11/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
You can have a pretty long setup on one power supply..

Scalextric 1
Scalextric 1

Scalextric 2
Scalextric 2

[Edited on 23/11/09 by stevebubs]

[Edited on 23/11/09 by stevebubs]

steve m

posted on 24/11/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys for the response, also shows that im not a "sad git" for playing with toy cars

I will look on fleabay to source some new digital track

Steve

Liam

posted on 24/11/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Thanks Guys for the response, also shows that im not a "sad git" for playing with toy cars

No, it just shows there are a lot of sad gits who play with toy cars

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.