Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: salary sacrifice scheme
davie h

posted on 26/1/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
salary sacrifice scheme

My employer is going to introduce a salary sacrifice scheme whereby they will lower my salary by the amount i pay to my pension (about £3500 a year not a month). they will then make the pension contribution for me and i will according to them reap the benefits to the tune of an extra £15 a month(woo hoo) in my take home pay as i will pay less NI.

now call me suspicious but i dont trust the buggers and im worried about the potential outcome for my pension when i retire as i should be in the same job for the next 21 years.

is anyone else involved in these schemes or are there any financial wiz kids/girls on here in the know.

cheers Davie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24179682@N04/?saved=1

twybrow

posted on 26/1/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
My company (GE) do exactly the same. It is quite common. Nothing to worry about AFAIK.
MikeR

posted on 26/1/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
my company did something similar with my pay about 8 years ago - only did it for a year as the tax loophole was closed.

Just make sure the money does go into your pension and not into some fund, which gets paid into your pension at a later date (ie just in case your company goes bankrupt your money doesn't disappear).

Doofus

posted on 26/1/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
It might effect the size or mortgage you can get because it reduces your income, that they use to calculate what they can loan. Only really a problem if you intend to get the biggest mortgage you can.
davie h

posted on 26/1/10 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
my main worry is my pension and any possible problems ,as i see it they are changing me from a contributory pension to a non contributory as i would no longer be paying to the pension and my worry is that if there was a problem with the pension scheme and it was in financial trouble could the somehow claim i have not made any contrabutions, is it even possible that they could claim that. i dont even know if that make any sense or if im worrying over nothing and should treat myself to a crate of beer every month with my windfall.

Davie

[Edited on 26/1/10 by davie h]

ashg

posted on 26/1/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
i would say the best thing you can do is get the paperwork and go to a financial adviser.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

davie h

posted on 26/1/10 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i would say the best thing you can do is get the paperwork and go to a financial adviser.

thats my next step i just thought i would ask on here as just about anything can be answered. cheers for the replies

Davie

stevebubs

posted on 27/1/10 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Normal as far I as know (both Siemens & Cable & Wireless operate similar schemes)

S

stevebubs

posted on 27/1/10 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
PS I think the fundamental reason most companies do this is that is saves them on their employers' NI contributions.

When applying for a mortgage etc, your company will normally quote a "notional salary" to your mortgage company - this is your take-home gross salary + pension, i.e. the same salary as you have today. This should be covered in their FAQs....

craig1410

posted on 27/1/10 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
My employer organises what is called a Group PERSONAL Pension scheme. The key thing here is the PERSONAL bit. This means it is mine and is financially completely separate from the company. They contribute 5% of salary and I contribute 5% on a matched basis. It is much the same thing as giving me a 5% pay rise and then doing a salary sacrifice of 10%.

You do pay less tax because you don't get taxed on pension contributions and if you are a higher rate tax payer you can claim back even more money by doing a tax return. If you are a standard rate tax payer then you will save NI as you mentioned.

Just make sure that it is a Personal pension scheme which is wholly owned by you and that it is with a financially stable pension provider. A financial adviser would be able to look at it in more detail and may well be worthwhile.

HTH,
Craig.

norfolkluego

posted on 27/1/10 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with Steve, it's about the NI saving for your employer, they can pay the same as you do currently into your pension but as it's not salary they don't pay NI on it (neither do you I would think), they gain at no cost to you (you may even save something on NI), fairly common these days but as said if you're worried see an FA.
Simon

posted on 27/1/10 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
Is this similar to AVC's (Additional Voluntary Contributions)?

If so, and in my opinion, I'd run a mile. I used to work with a chap who was really keen on these. We worked out you'd put an extra £14,000 in to get £1k/year out. This was before Gordo started taxing pension funds.

Once the money was in, it stayed in, and he died about 3 months after retiring.

As others suggest, get it looked at professionally.

I don't have a pension, apart from the pitance that I gained from 20 years in London, I figure I'll turn to crime, get caught and then looked after by the state. It'll be one way of getting it back

ATB

Simon

ATB

Simon

whitestu

posted on 27/1/10 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Same thing is done where I work. I agree it sounds dodgy, but don't think it actually is.

Stu

Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/1/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Our company is doing exactly the same thing. It's obviously for the benefit of the employee though surely?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 27/1/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
My Pension with my company is done this way. If the company is fair (as mine is) for every £100 you give up from your pay packet (net, after tax) you should get the following added; Tax at 25% or 40% (depending on the tax rate you pay) Employees national insurance contributions of 8% (but might have gone up, can't remember) and employers national insurance contributions of 12%. So in effect you should get £145 or £160 paid into your pension. If your employer is looking to save money they might not give you the employers national insurance contributions of 12% but mine gives me it.

[Edited on 27/1/10 by sucksqueezebangblow]

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

NS Dev

posted on 27/1/10 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Pension.....what's one of those..........

I'm really not looking forward to being old, but hey ho!!

I'm 32 now, and after having 2 pension schemes robbed by thieving corporations, and now being self employed, a pension is something I can only imagine having.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

wilkingj

posted on 27/1/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thats cos pension payments laws have changed in the last few years.

You can check with HMRC, and they should be able to confirm the exact situation for you.

I would also get regular pension statements, to make sure they ARE actually paying it into your pension pot.

Personally If I had my time again, I would buy a second house and rent it out. Then put all the money into that, so when you retire, you have a second house with mortgage paid, and then draw the rent as pension. You will allways then still have the capital in reserve.
OK house prices can go down. However, over 20+ years they definately go up overall.
Lets put it this way, the house I bought in 1976 cost £11k (yes eleven-K) I sold it for £83k in 1990, and it it sold for £198K in 2004/5. Its about £240k now (a mate still lives in the same street in a similar house).
Despite two recessions, IMHO property is still beating the average. I just wish I could have bought a second house to rent out.

Its all too late for me, I'm 57, and should have done this 40 years ago. Although Buy to Let was not an option then.

Best thing is to take GOOD professional advice, and get it in WRITING, so you might have some comeback if it all goes wrong.
Dont take advice from people who are not acredited Financial Advisors. ie me!
I can only tell you what I did or think I should have done!
Dont follow me, I'm lost too

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/1/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I work for a Financial Advisors and no theres is no problem with a Salary Sacrifice Scheme and NO it is not like an AVC scheme.

Hopefully, to put it simply - you currently pay say £50 into your pension and when paying this you have to pay tax and NI on your gross salary before the amount is then taken out of your NET pay.

With the scheme you employer reduces your salary by x amount which means that you net take home pay is exactly the same as it was before the scheme (you will not be better off each month). By giving up the salary though your employer does not have as much employers NI to pay and for this they then make an employers pension contribution equivalant to what they were paying before, plus what you paid (been taken from your salary (i.e. sacrificed) plus the NI saving they have made.

You are no worse off each month and the employer is no better off each month, the only thing to improve is the amount of money going into your pension scheme.

You also made reference to the fact that it is now a non contributory pension scheme. It is correct that the employer is the only one now making the pension contribution, but this will be through a personal pension type arrangement offered under a 'company' scheme banner. Therefore all the money invested is in your name only and the company cannot reclaim any of the fund for 'dodgy dealing'.

HTH

PS - They should provide you with a copy of the salary sacrifice calculation and also a letter from the pension provider confirming the increased pension contribution.

[Edited on 27/1/10 by Tiger Super Six]

Mark

Tiger Avon

Vindi_andy

posted on 27/1/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
The company I work for offer a similar thing. It does work out you save money because your gross pay is lower therefore less tax and less NI.

In mine the pension company is a seperate company. It is still a contributory scheme its just the company is paying your contribution for you, mine will match any contributions I make upto a threshhold

It may not affect your mortgage as this is based on Nett pay ie takehome and not gross pay and when you do the calculations because of the reduced tax and NI you may find that your actually take home the same or, in some cases in the office i work in, more

As has been said its primarily to take advantage of the change in pension law. One of those changes is you can have as many pensions as you like as long as your total contributions are less than a certain percentage of your salary

ETA I didnt read supersix's post before I typed this

[Edited on 27/1/10 by Vindi_andy]

Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/1/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
The company I work for offer a similar thing. It does work out you save money because your gross pay is lower therefore less tax and less NI.

[Edited on 27/1/10 by Vindi_andy]

I can assure you that you won't be better off. The lower tax and NI are on a lower initial gross salary because you have sacrificed some.

The whole scheme is not about getting more income, it is simply to take advantage of the fact that Employers don't have to pay NI on pension contributions but they do on salary costs.

Mark

Tiger Avon

davie h

posted on 27/1/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

im just in from work so im a bit rushed, my company have given me in writing that i will be £15 a month or so better off. they will reduce my pay by £270 a month and put the £270 into my pension..
(although i know i wont miss it as thats what i pay each month to my pension and wont notice that im getting payed any less) but they have said that because im getting paid less i will pay less ni and be £15 better and they wil make money on not paying as much ni.

i do get annual pension reviews and im tempted to go along with it for a year(although from what i hear most of the staff have choose to opt out of the scheme) and check my review when it comes through the door.

Davie

Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/1/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, that's not how a salary sacrifice scheme works as it is a tool to enhance pension contributions.

Do you have the calculation to email me and I will take a look and I can let you have a normal calculation showing how the usual give up would enhance your pension.

Mark

Tiger Avon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.