Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So This is Where They're Made?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/5/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
So This is Where They're Made?

Women
Women

Saw this in Hobart (Tasmania) this weekend.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

skinned knuckles

posted on 18/5/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
so now we know where to send them back to when they malfunction.... judging from the current performance of mine, there must be several outstanding recalls on the 1975 model!

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

nick205

posted on 18/5/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe the 70's weren't good manufacturing years then - my 1971 model is tempermental at times and the other 70's models I've tried in the past all had issues of one kind or another

Do yhey have a trade outlet at the factory?

Maybe you could test drive a few and organise a group buy for us?

skinned knuckles

posted on 18/5/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
i must say that the build quality of the 70's models is quite excellent (imho) but the main problem seems to be a software one. the current operating system system seems to reject the following upgrades:-

stop shopping 2.1
nagstop (version 2010)
emptyyourownhoover 3.11
learnto fill your own petrol tank (original version)
stop driving into the gatepost 5.0

there is also a virus going roung that seems to keep installing the mother-in-law program

[Edited on 18/5/10 by skinned knuckles]

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I know one thing, when you see the state of the premises it's no wonder there are so many sent back!

coozer

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
My old '57 is still going strong, purrs away nicely and doesn't give me too much trouble.

She's serviced twice a year with lots of tlc in between and that's all she demands of me

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cd.thomson

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
i've always had late 80's models,

They're significantly lower maintenance and have much improved flexibility. It's always nice to experience new hardware too.

They do tend to run quite hot though, and they come with less default software so it's rare they can cook and clean like the older models.

I always seem to develop compatibility issues unfortunately...

[Edited on 18/5/10 by cd.thomson]

Craig

l0rd

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I smell a sticky post

Fozzie!!!!!!

or should i say the Boss?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I just thought exactly the same, but hey, I'm sure there'll be a 'day of retribution'

Ninehigh

posted on 18/5/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

I hope you're a late 80's model, cos the compatibility issues might be there, as the EULA means both parties have to be over 16.

My early 70's one has been good

Agriv8

posted on 18/5/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Maybe the 70's weren't good manufacturing years then - my 1971 model is tempermental at times and the other 70's models I've tried in the past all had issues of one kind or another

could do but there is cosiderable cost of having to dispose of the current one.

There is a lot to be said for 'better the devil you know.....'

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

cd.thomson

posted on 18/5/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

I hope you're a late 80's model, cos the compatibility issues might be there, as the EULA means both parties have to be over 16.

My early 70's one has been good

I'm '87

Craig

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 18/5/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's a bit cold at rest but with gentle use soon warms up and can really go when hot. Reacts really well to firm inputs, but a delicate touch is more effective in the curves. Can be a real screamer at maximum revs. "NO" command is given repeatedly when ready for a squirt or two to boost the performance.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

snakebelly

posted on 18/5/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
cant get on with my 65 model, lazy and argumentative, going for a trade in any day now, when i get round to telling her!
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 18/5/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote

Liam

posted on 18/5/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hee hee Claire, Fozzie, etc - we're sorry...

Anyway - for me the real gem is an '83 model. Looks every bit as good as the newer late 80's models, but just has that extra bit of visual sophistication imho, and some mature software support. I'm really not sure who designs these things nowadays, but I find anything newer than about '95 just looks wrong. I feel a sense of guilt even showing an interest! I've never been a big fan of vintage models either, but can understand why those owners who have them still love them depending on the exact make and model. In fact there are a few i find genuinely desirable from as far back as the 60's or even late 50's.

I went for a Chinese model myself as I always did prefer the Asian styling over the Euro efforts. Never liked American at all to be honest - far too heavy and slow with poor ride quality.

The real great thing about my pride and joy is that it came standard with Engineering Degree 1.0 and as a result pretty much pays for itself! Also has the Asian Cooking Expansion Module which is a real bonus.

Only real fault is it occasionally overheats for seemingly no reason at all. Then as suddenly as it occured, all is back to normal with no sign of the fault. To tell the truth I dont think I'll ever get to the bottom of underlying cause of that intermittent fault, so will just have to live with it.

Only upgrade I'd consider making is larger airbags, as the standard items cater more to the Asian market. That said, the current bags are still great, suit the overall styling and are fit for practically all purposes. Overall I couldn't be happier.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/5/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried several late 70's models and found them to be fairly good, one was a little "buggy". Also tried several 87's models but they had many many software issues.

Happy with my 80's model which overheats randomly sometimes but is managable. Doubt I'll ever change now. 81 myself.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

kendo

posted on 18/5/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

I agree. My 1971 model is proving to be a right pita.

Fozzie

posted on 18/5/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
No apology needed Liam ..... this is by far the funniest/best thread I have seen on here for ages...... :

Personally, speaking as a 'Classic' model, I think I can honestly say us 'Classics' know how to treat our prospective 'owners' just right ....we know what they like....

The later models, that is the 80's-90, well, they are so used to having every gizmo, they tend to go wrong a bit too often.....and you must admit, they can be an absolute minefield to analyse and rectify......not to mention the astronomical costs of 'repair' and maintenance!

Not to mention the dodgy emissions they can give out after a cruise around the streets with their 'owners' at the weekends......

No...stick with the 'Classics' .... when they go wrong .... it's much easier and less costly to 'repair' ....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

cd.thomson

posted on 18/5/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
No...stick with the 'Classics' .... when they go wrong .... it's much easier and less costly to 'repair' ....

Fozzie

well you've won me over, where's the dotted line.

Craig

l0rd

posted on 18/5/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I have an early 80s model.

Very happy with it. Some software issues but not something i cannot live with it.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 18/5/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I must say you guys really go for the more modern rides. I run a '62 streamlined model with low drag and a lightweight chassis. Performance has not faded over the years, in fact I have seen some very significant improvements in ride and handling. The blower can be a bit noisy but really adds something special, and the four square stance gets my juices flowing every time! I do experience some backlash now and then but generally she can be trusted to get me there in fine style!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/5/10 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Phew! Thanks Fozzie

Started to worry what I'd kicked off here

Apparently it's good to laugh

Agriv8

posted on 19/5/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Phew! Thanks Fozzie

Started to worry what I'd kicked off here

Apparently it's good to laugh

One of the best medicens I belive

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Liam

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
While we're on the subject - does anybody have this problem and know what to do?...

I'm trying to leave all the options in Nightwear deselected but just get errors. Get a load of different messages like 'temperature error', 'insufficient comfort' and 'not an object'. Not sure what I'm doing wrong and have mates who say they can select nothing in Nightwear with their models and have no problems. Funny thing is, it does work during servicing, albeit briefly before defaulting back to pyjamas. I thought you were supposed to be able to do this at all times though?

Problem seems to have started after upgrading to Marriage, but I can't see what Marriage has to do with Nightwear. All the help files say I should have Marriage as it contains important fixes so I'm not sure if I should remove it. Having said that, I haven't really noticed any of the fixes and as a hands-on kind of guy who likes tinkering, the longer service interval under Marriage isn't all that welcome. I'm beginning to wonder if Marriage is just malware. I've heard though that it is very tricky to remove and can end up being costly to do so and could cause the Female to stop responding alltogether!

Any advice appreciated. Cheers!

OK I think I've had enough now

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.