Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cats....
MikeFellows

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cats....

A cat keeps decapitating birds and leaving them on my patio (3 so far) and its starting to looks like some sort of slaughter house out there.

I'm not sure if it does it to taunt the dog while we are out or it just doesn't like us.

I'm not the biggest fan of cats, but in the same recpect I dont want to do it any harm, just wish it would go elsewhere, any ideas?

MK9R

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't an owl model palced outside supposed to scare them off?? or have i dreamt that??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Put down cat food laced with antifreze.. kill the little bugger good and proper!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

55ant

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
loads of stuff out there to spend your money on, and even if you know whos it is you can ask them as nicely as you want they still cant ask the cat to stop. we have guinea pigs and had two cats keep coming round and trying to get in the cage, i found a cheap little waster pistol to give them a squirt with and havent seen them since. Im a big animal fan and im not out to hurt them, but its the only way to get them to go away and stay away.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

afj

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what our cat does sometimes

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MikeFellows

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
like I said I dont want to hurt them, they soon wee off when the dogs out, but its only happening when nobody is home.

I think the whole thing is quite funny, but im going to have to clean the patio this weekend now as its covered in blood and i have no clue as to what diseases birds carry.

ive no intention of spending any money on the problem, im sure there is something just as initiative thats free

[Edited on 26/5/10 by MikeFellows]

Benzine

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Put down cat food laced with antifreze.. kill the little bugger good and proper!

yeah giving a little cat kidney failure is exactly the first thing I thought of when I read the thread

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Lion Poo from you local garden centre - house cats are Shxt scared of the real deal and when they smell it, dont come back.

Mind you a Patio covered in big cat crap my be worse than dead birds LOL

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

zilspeed

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
For some reason it's bringing you presents.
It must have some weird sort of respect for you.

They hate citrus smells.

Get some strong smelling citrus about the area where they are and they won't be inclined to come back.

Regarding the other comments above, well done...

Ours doesn't get out for the reasons mentioned there. I don't imagine our 8 year old daughter would be particularly happy if it were to be poisoned / trapped.

MikeFellows

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Lion Poo from you local garden centre - house cats are Shxt scared of the real deal and when they smell it, dont come back.

Mind you a Patio covered in big cat crap my be worse than dead birds LOL

Do they really sell lion poo at garden centres?

eznfrank

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
We have got one of THESE, the links says it's £40 but I'm sure I only paid about £25 for ours. Very effective but it's not always obvious when the batteries have run out and when it's wet you can actually hear it and I don't think you're supposed to.

Edit - ooppss Sorry, missed the bit where you said you didn't want to spend money on it

[Edited on 26/5/10 by eznfrank]

UncleFista

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
You need a security light with PIR sensor, a length of hosepipe and the water solenoid from a washing machine.

Bodge them all together and you get a movement sensitive cat sprayer.

My brother had one to stop cats going down his cellar steps (external). It worked great, but we kept forgetting it was on and getting sprayed ourselves

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

BenB

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a spray from garden shops that seems to work quite well. Not sure what's in it but cat's done like it and that's all I need to know.
A1

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
how did it get off your exhaust?
britishtrident

posted on 26/5/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Birds ur lucky lad
My cat used to behead baby rabbits.

A fake snake - Cats are petrified of snakes ---- ours even used to take avoiding action if it saw a coiled up length of green hose.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

swanny

posted on 26/5/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
on the patio is fine. i'm lumbered with a useless cat that catches stuff and never kills anything. hopefully if his mate is in we can encourage him to nick it and eat it in the garden. sometimes though his mate is out. just dicovered a dead, slightly chewed mouse he'd left under the cat bed. nearly got a boot up his arse.
am hoping the pair of them get a better offer of cuddles and tuna from some local old lady sharpish!

r1_pete

posted on 26/5/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Birds ur lucky lad

A fake snake - Cats are petrified of snakes ---- ours even used to take avoiding action if it saw a coiled up length of green hose.

Ours has brought us 3 grass snakes, SWMBO is absolutely petrified of snakes and spent 4 hours sat in the car on the drive because he'd left a semi live one on the doorstep.
PMSL when I got home, but she was in a right state, then the cat sauntered in wondering what all the fuss is about....

wilkingj

posted on 26/5/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nah... You lot have got it ALL WRONG.

Take the cat into your confidence, and train it to kill Pidgeons.

Pidgeons are Vermin, so it will be doing eveyone a favour.

Plus when you get a few, you can have Pidgeon Pie... Yummy.

If the cat doesnt perform, have a Cat Curry, and it will taste just like a chicken curry from the local takeaway

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

coozer

posted on 26/5/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Birds ur lucky lad

Ours has brought us 3 grass snakes, SWMBO is absolutely petrified of snakes and spent 4 hours sat in the car on the drive because he'd left a semi live one on the doorstep.
PMSL when I got home, but she was in a right state, then the cat sauntered in wondering what all the fuss is about....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tony-devon

posted on 26/5/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think the comment regarding poisoning it wasnt particularly funny

at least yours is only birds, I get half a rabbit LOL

only reason its half is that she managed to rip it in two while trying to pull it through the catflap LOL

years ago we had a problem with one of the cats wanting to go behind the telly or curtains and scent/spray, not very pleasant

I found that a strong solution of washing powder and water sprayed out in the area worked very well, as did surgical spirit in the places where the smell didnt matter too much

but as already said, its a gift

[Edited on 26/5/10 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

scootz

posted on 26/5/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's a cat that's doing this and not the strange twins who live round the corner... you know, the ones with the large ears who don't speak much???

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 26/5/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Throw a few bits of orange peel down or a few cloves of garlick.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

welderman

posted on 26/5/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
our cats used to bring home lots of animals, it's sign that they want to give you a gift for looking after them.
Best one was a live sparrow, wife hates birds, i had to go home and let it out the house, but could not get in as the wife had pushed the sofa up to the porch door so it would not get in the living room

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

perksy

posted on 26/5/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Beleive it or not its bringing them to you as a present
Surprised its coming to you at all if you have a dog though

They aren't keen on Citrus smells (Orange etc) and also Vinegar is a smell they aren't keen on
Water pistol is another idea
The battery powered 'sonic' deterents also seem to work quite well

As for the comments relating to Antifreeze

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.