Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice wanted - What CLEAR material can be used (locost) to roof a carport type structure???
Steve Hignett

posted on 19/11/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Advice wanted - What CLEAR material can be used (locost) to roof a carport type structure???

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice...

I'm thinking of building a shelter on the back of my house covering the back door and extending into my back yard a fair bit (something like 6 to 8 feet). I'm pretty certain I know someone who could suggest what steel (or more likely stainless steel!) I need for the supports/A frame etc, but just wondered what the lowest cost material that looks good for the roof!

I'll probably also clad a little of the sides to "finish" it and stop a little sideways rain etc.

The main purpose is so that when Milenah (wife) comes home with Josef (baby boy) in his pram, then she could just leave the pram outside and maybe her jacket and shoes etc. all safe and dry and just take the baby inside without worrying about everything getting wet.

I did have a tarpaulin structure at the back that I worked on kitcars under, but that's not happening again so that's coming down. It looked pretty awful though, but it was attached to the shed rather than the house, so wasn't the end of the world. This new one however will be attached to the house so I want it to look a bit better, but (as always) have Zero budget

So, what's the best looking, cheapest material to roof a car port type structure please guys (and girls!)?

Just in case it matter, it will be roughly 2.5m extended away from the house and 4m wide...

TIA, Cheers,

Steve

loggyboy

posted on 19/11/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=622409&Trail=searchtext>CORRUGATE D
balidey

posted on 19/11/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Twin wall polycarbonate roof panel

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/11/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
As Loggyboy said. That stuff is relatively cheap and quick to fit to a wooden structure. Just make sure you get the proper screws/plastic caps so it stays watertight. You'd be suprised how much water can make it's way through a tiny hole!

Trust me, I know from using some on a stable roof!

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

welderman

posted on 19/11/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote

You knew i would do something silly like this, but its not stupid lol.

Joe

shelter
shelter

bbwales

posted on 19/11/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would personaly use triple wall polycarbonate for the roof, I say this from experience as you can walk on it so you can get to the windows above to clean them. If you look in the small ads you can get it fairly cheaply. I have 4' wide sections on my conservatory with no supports in the middle and I can still walk on it and I am a fat git.

Regards

Bob

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/11/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you use the twin wall polycarbonate system then you can get various types of systems that hold it together. Usually stainless steel with a plastic cap that presses onto it, around 2 or 3 metres long. DON'T buy the Wickes brand one with a domed finish that presses into a stainless piece. It's rubbish and leaks as I found out when I replaced my leaky conservatory roof with another leaky conservatory roof
MikeR

posted on 19/11/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad this has been posted as i keep thinking of doing something similar for when i get back from walking the dog / storing the car when i want more space in the garage / etc.

One of my issues was how i access the two windows above the roof to clean them - so interested in the idea that you can stand on one of the roofs. I'm guessing this doesn't work on the design in screwfix that just bolts to the house wall.

ReMan

posted on 19/11/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW and just to support your idea.
My carport is the most useful space in the whole house from building cars to washing dogs and even hanging washing and children playing I would have been lost without it.

It's a proper indoors outdoors, fully enclosed by house one side and solid fence the other, gated and doored

Ours is corrugated plastic and is still OK after about 15 years. I boarded over it with loft chipboard when I needed to maintain the flashing on it

wilkingj

posted on 19/11/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you drain away any water. ie a gutter and a soakaway (if you cant get it into a drain).
Make sure it dont run off into or onto your neighbours property.

Check if you need planning permission, or building regs. A Lot will depend on the construction / foundations / floor etc.
A quiet chat with your local planning officer can be very useful.

Like my car port is 2950mm high. Over 3 metres and it would need planning permission... these sorts of things are worth looking at before you start. The rules are always changing, so check what they are, then work within them.

It can start to get expensive if you build then have to take it down or apply for retrospective planning permission that you didnt budget for etc etc. Get it right first time... its cheaper and easier that way!

Best to do all the homework before starting.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JeffHs

posted on 19/11/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a large lean-to at the back of my garage. I've replaced panels twice, using standard diy shed corrugated. Apples break it every other year. I replaced the whole roof with corrugated translucent fibreglass from e-bay- brilliant stuff, strong enough to walk on with spreader boards and does not go brittle like the acrylic stuff. I would thoroughly recommend you don't use acrylic!
I paid £100 to do the lot - 14 feet by 10 feet.

hobbsy

posted on 22/11/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
FWIW and just to support your idea.
My carport is the most useful space in the whole house from building cars to washing dogs and even hanging washing and children playing I would have been lost without it.

It's a proper indoors outdoors, fully enclosed by house one side and solid fence the other, gated and doored

Ours is corrugated plastic and is still OK after about 15 years. I boarded over it with loft chipboard when I needed to maintain the flashing on it

Hmm I might replace my manky existing carport with a fully enclosed one - what did it cost you in total?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.