Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Please help , am new , what to build .
aevans692

posted on 14/5/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Please help , am new , what to build .

hello all.

I am new to the site so hello all..

I have been looking at building myself a 7 style car, I am working on a budget, but have plenty of time.. I have spoken to people from diff kits/makes I have done a little reasearch and now I am at a bit of a hard place..

I would like a kit that is good value for money, but is actualy not to dificult to build, i would like to buy and build my car over a bit of time as to be a bit lighter on the bank balance..

I first looked at the gbs zero about a year ago, seemed like an ok-ish build, I have more reacently spoken to them again and was told the kit has been improved, some things have been taken out of the kit, i found that they were a bit hard to talk to aswell didnt seem to want to give me much time, which maybe i just caught them on a busy day..

I have also spoken to tiger racing, about the avon , they were great to talk to and answered all my questions there kit sounded good , and seemed like I had more options on packages and could buy it all in small easyer to swallow parts..

I spoke to mk , but again must of caught them on a bad day as didnt get much back from them...

I really would like some recommendations , I dont want to build somthing that im not going to be happy with, or somthing which will end up as a wast of time and money, My plan was to buy as i build so i could spred the cost...

i like the look of the avon over the zero , the avon looks a bit more sporty/ modern The zero to me just looks a bit less refined and not as sporty, and to be honest i think the alu or ss body looks a bit unfinished......

I really like to look of the r500 super light , but I really could not afford one of them , but like that type of look. I also want a car with a good well designed chassis which is going to be a joy to build . a car which is well engineared so passing the iva should be ok.

I have a budget of around £3000 to get me started , the rest of the car I will pay for as I go , am I asking too much ,

thought and advice please... thanks guys...

imp paul

posted on 14/5/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
have you had a look at the mnr type of kit looks very nice and the chaps seem nice people to talk to have a look good luck paul
fesycresy

posted on 14/5/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Dax isn't that far away from you. Around the 25 to Harlow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

big_wasa

posted on 14/5/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Before spending your hard earned on a Tiger go and look at the quality of an Avon. Do a search on here. Can the westfield be bought bit by bit or in a way to fit your budget ?
black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 14/5/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
If you have the time and the skills, or are willing to learn, why not build from scratch, there are a few designs out there to pick and choose from, 'the book' locost, haynes roadster, mc sorely etc. you can even pick the best bits to build it to suit whatever engine and transmission you fancy, even bike power if you are that way inclined.

locostbuyer83

posted on 14/5/11 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

I'd be tempted to buy a unfinished kit from here or eBay as you will get better value for money, lots of spares that you could either recon, use or sell.

Just a thought.

bi22le

posted on 14/5/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome along!

Your not to far away from me and we have a relativly active kit car scene in Kent.

Once you start really looking at the cars you will notice difference. They are all 7 style cars but the chassis and and body panels are all different.

Have a look also at MAC 1 and RAW. I haved had both of these and they both seemed well made. Having the manufacture close to you is good (both of my suggestions ar not!) and also try and get a ride in a car. Also a part build probably is the best value for money. If your patient or \ and lucky you may pick up the majority of your car for £3K, there is the odd bargin about dometimes.

Do you know if you want a bike or car engined car? Any ideas on engine? If your thinking car engine then some chassis are better than others for certain engines.

Ask lots of (stupid) questions, you wont be the first or last to ask them.

Best of luck and I hope ,my info helps!

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

AdrianH

posted on 14/5/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that you get along to Detling and have a look around the cars in the show and those outside, be a pest and ask lots of questions 21st and 22nd May in Kent.

Do not may any decisions until you have gone around there, both days and spoken to lots of people, use the first day to ask as many questions as you can, then use Sunday to ask the ones you think of Saturday night.

As mentioned above if you have the skills then do a book build for yourself. Talon can build you the chassis and provide all the wishbones uprights etc and he is not a million miles from you.

Building a kit can be a long process, sometimes years, some even say 7 or more!

I would only suggest that you set a budget, plan your build with engine gearbox or bike engine etc then stick with it. Looking through posts on several forums you can see where a plan is this, then 6 months later, different that, then later still changed again so the car is never getting finished and the car is sold as an un-finished project.

The Zero or Robin hood vehicles are generally SS and not painted. Aluminium can look very good polished, or spray pained (like mine) or vinyl rapped, so suit. Or complete fibre glass bodywork. All options are there.

Just my thoughts.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.