Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FIA TYPE SWITCH WIRING
richard

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
FIA TYPE SWITCH WIRING

Sorry if this is a silly question but here goes.
I want to fit an FIA Type switch that i have already bought to the dash board my already road legal book chassis locost not as an anti theft devise but just to make it easy to cut the power in the event of a accident / fire type / emergency.
At present the alternator lead goes to the battery along with the main lead to the starter motor.

i was gong to run the alternator lead to the stater motor permanent live connection and then run the main lead from battery to cut out switch and then the other side of the switch to the main terminal on the stater motor where the alternator lead is.

But i am aware that although it is not good practice you can disconnect a battery and allow the atternator to run the car, so not sure if this is the correct way to wire it or not.
cheers Richard.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
On this page:

http://www.shedworks.eu/tips.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
The way that I did mine was to break the earth lead, which I was told would not ruin the alternator if the engine was running when I flipped the cut out. Have no idea if it's true as never had to shut down with the engine running, :-) Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

BaileyPerformance

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard
Sorry if this is a silly question but here goes.
I want to fit an FIA Type switch that i have already bought to the dash board my already road legal book chassis locost not as an anti theft devise but just to make it easy to cut the power in the event of a accident / fire type / emergency.
At present the alternator lead goes to the battery along with the main lead to the starter motor.

i was gong to run the alternator lead to the stater motor permanent live connection and then run the main lead from battery to cut out switch and then the other side of the switch to the main terminal on the stater motor where the alternator lead is.

But i am aware that although it is not good practice you can disconnect a battery and allow the atternator to run the car, so not sure if this is the correct way to wire it or not.
cheers Richard.

Hi,
The switch has 2 contacts as well as the main battery contact. Run the red alternator wire to the starter as normal.
The main (big) contacts break the main heavy red cable from the starter to the battery, as you said.
The normally open contact should be used to disconnect the ECU/Coil (to stop the engine if the isolator is operated with engine running). The second normally closed contact should be wired from the engine side of the main battery isolator contact via a 3ohm resistor to ground. this "drains" the alternator power down to ground when the isolator is operated and the battery is disconnected. This protects the car from electrical surge damage and protects the alternator regulator from over voltage.
You should have been supplied with the resistor when you bought the isolator.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
HowardB

posted on 29/5/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
On this page:

http://www.shedworks.eu/tips.html

a page full of useful stuff,....

thanks

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.