Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making nice marks on stainless steel
David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Making nice marks on stainless steel

Here's a query that's a bit different... and I know that I'll get an answer on this forum...

I am planning to make a 'Polar Sundial' for the garden, like this one (but made of metal, not cardboard!):

Having recovered from seeing the cost of a suitable bit of engraving-grade brass ( ) I am now thinking of using a length of 'dull polished' stainless steel. This is affordable, weatherproof and strong. The trouble is - I will need to put lines and numerals on to show the time. I could try to engrave them - a skill I'd love to learn - but from previous experience I know that it's tough to work stainless steel.

Can anyone suggest an alternative method for marking out the metal that will be durable and weatherproof? I was thinking of etching the design, but I can't think of anything that would eat stainless steel (or, at least, anything I would be able to buy).

The only other alternative would be to get the engraving done professionally, but I'm sure that would be expensive...

steve m

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Black enamal paint ?

Or some nice acid etching ?

HowardB

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
how about spark erosion? might be a bit exciting, but I am sure that there is scope for the adventurous DIYer,...

:

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

mark chandler

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Etch by sandblasting, the same way they do car windows?
a4gom

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'll ask the wife, you should see the state of our 3 month old sink!

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

RichardK

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
punches? I made a guide plate when I did my vin plate which was essentially a length of metal with very accurately drilled holes at set intervals and the letter punch is positioned using this. With a bit of practice on scrap reckon it could be made to be quite tidy.

or print out the numerals onto tracing paper and use a center punch to dot around the image??

Just an idea

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 26/6/11 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Madinventions

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
For stainless etching chemicals, see these guys.
http://www.megauk.com/metal_etching_kit.php
The prices on this page are steep because they include a load of kit you don't need for a one-off design. However, the parts numbers for the individual components (such as the etchant) are listed so you could give them a call. Plus, I've got a UV exposure unit you can borrow if you need one as I'm only up the road from you.

If you wanted to go down the aluminium route, these guys are absolutely superb for front panels.
http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/index.php?id=97&L=1

Good luck!

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

designer

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Any engraving company will lay you out a waterproof sheet.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 26/6/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hydroflouric Acid

But DO NOT get it on your skin.

Don't look if you're squeemish !!

http://firegeezer.com/2009/08/11/whats-the-hf/

paulf

posted on 26/6/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
We have a stainless etching system at work that uses an electrical current applied through a sponge pad that is wetted with an etching solution.You make a screen print stencil using a special printer and then position it over the work , the chemical soaked pad is then applied and used to pass a low voltage current through the stencil and work piece leaving a nice dark brown to black imprint of the stencil depending on current and time used.
I don't know what the chemical is but it is not particularly dangerous, just normal basic chemical safety is required ie wash hands well afterwards.
A Google search for electro chemical etching should bring something up.
Paul

Peteff

posted on 26/6/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
You can etch using a cotton bud and salt solution and a PP9 battery similar to the electrolysis process. Example here.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You can etch using a cotton bud and salt solution and a PP9 battery similar to the electrolysis process. Example here.

Sir, I think we have a winner - I'm quite impressed by the result.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Pete - that looks ideal! That page is now bookmarked. I knew this forum would come up with something.

As for hydrofluoric acid - a few years back I was talking with a bloke who had spent most of his life in the chemical industry (went from lab technician up to senior manager of research) working with some 'interesting' chemicals. He reckoned that he never lost his fear of that stuff...

I will investigate all of the other links though...

Thanks to all!

nick205

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Laser marking would do it, lots of stailness (and other metal) parts are marked this way these days. Most systems are CAD or True Type Font driven so you could create the layout/text you want and supply to a suitable company along with your sheet of stainless.

ETA....once the laser system is programmed the work part is done (same as a CNC set-up). You could probably get a batch of 5 done for the same price as 1 and be left with 4 to give away as gifts to family etc.

Also, water jet cutting might be an option. Use a very thin sheet of stainless and have the patterns cut right through it, then bond it to a thicker back plate (maybe in contrasting material).

[Edited on 27/6/11 by nick205]

posted on 27/6/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi David,

Laser etching is quite good, but not locost.

I have badges made by this method. (see pic)

laser etched badge
laser etched badge

However, with number and letter stamps you could do something like:-

l
l

(The dashes are a capital I)

First you would mark out lines with a scriber & square.
Then you would clamp box section across the plate to act as a guide and keep the stampings in line
and square, holding the stamp against the box.

By moving the letter "I" sideways you can feel it drop into the scribe line.

The trick when stamping is how hard you hit it. A number "1" requires less force than a "4" to get the same depth.

To finish you need to polish out the scriber marks with a flap wheel in a die grinder.

(Note. No chemicals. I know you just love chemicals. )

HTH
Paul G

nick205

posted on 27/6/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a4gom
I'll ask the wife, you should see the state of our 3 month old sink!

LOL

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Those badges have the sort of finish I would like on my sundial... but I dread to think how much a pattern 18" x 4" would cost to get done...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.