Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: xflow starting
Kevin

posted on 28/1/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
xflow starting

I have tried to start my xflow today after rebuilding. I have the firing order to 1243 and it is firing back through carbs. I have tried 180 degree as well. It is fitted with a fast road cam that i have put in, that was lined up with the dot on the crank. This engine has not been running before. Moving the distributor only seem to change the carb that it back fires on. (twin 40s) any sugestions please.
Dave Ashurst

posted on 28/1/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Start with cam timing. How confident are you that the cam timing is right?

If not very then I'd stop turning it over and check it, or get it checked and set it properly and then check compression. Hopefully it's not so far out that some valves are bent already. (Fingers crossed.)

I don't know about "lined up with the dot on the crank". Is that what the cam needs? I must say I find cam timing difficult and always struggle to do it well enough with a timing degree wheel and a dial gauge. I find a small change makes a big difference to peak performance.

D

Kevin

posted on 28/1/12 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks I will check the cam and go from there. When I removed the old cam I put it back in the same position but maybe got it wrong. Hopefully no damage
rusty nuts

posted on 28/1/12 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin[/i. It is fitted with a fast road cam that i have put in, that was lined up with the dot on the crank.

You might be lucky but chances are the cam is no where near timed correctly, the marks are for a standard cam . Have a look at Burtons catalogue /website for clear instructions on cam timing. Did you check valve to piston clearance when rebuilding the engine? Did you reset the valve clearances(tappets) to the correct setting for the cam you used? It might be worth turning the engine over in the direction of rotation using a spanner on the crank with the rocker cover off until the valves on no 4 cylinder are both rocking and the crank timing mark lined up (Do not rely on the TDC mark being accurate)which should be TDC on the compression stroke on no 1 cylinder, check which HT lead the rotor arm is pointing to , that should be for no1 cylinder. That should be near enough to get it running

Kevin

posted on 28/1/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have the valve clearance correct as it came with the cam. So I will go to the burton site now and see what I can find. Thanks
daviep

posted on 28/1/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
When you put the plug leads on did you remember that the distributor rotates anti clockwise?

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

dimlaz

posted on 28/1/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think the right firing order is 1342 in the most of the vehicles not 1243.
Dave Ashurst

posted on 28/1/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dimlaz
I think the right firing order is 1342 in the most of the vehicles not 1243.

Yes, but the firing order in a ford crossflow is 1243

Kevin

posted on 28/1/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I did realise that the rotor arm went anti clockwise thanks. Had a good look at burton power which helped so back to the drawing board on fitting of the cam. I will also check that the inlet valves are closing fully.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.