Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which turbo for gsxr bec
peter bland

posted on 22/12/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Which turbo for gsxr bec

Apologies if this has been covered but I'm wanting to turbo my gsxr 1000 k2 and want to keep boost to about 6psi so I don't have to upgrade any of the internals. I have been told to use a Mitsubishi turbo from the Volvo/Saab but not sure which model? Any advice welcome.
Proby

posted on 22/12/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've just purchased a TD04-HL 16t, which is a mitsubishi turbo off a Volvo. I'm about to try and stick it on my CBR919, as many people have recommended its the perfect size.

Visit GraphicMonster

mark chandler

posted on 22/12/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo part number
Turbo part number

Low pressure turbo from a V70, I think it was a 2.3 and ran around 6psi in the car, it's a bit smaller than a 16t so will spool up faster, boost is limited by the waste gate so can run more pressure.

The 16t is capable of running more boost, may come in a little later.

Either are a good choice IMHO

My turbo is a different beast altogether so cannot comment on how the above will perform in real life, what I can say is on the track you will live between 6000-10,000 rpm, changes in BEC,s are so fast spooling time will not matter once moving.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 22/12/12 by mark chandler]

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/12/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
16t is good for 250bhp+ (volvo 850R T5)
15g maybe 240bhp

13's were fitted to various subaru's so might be expected to spin-up quicker for you.

I suspect at only 6psi that you don't need to go as big as 16t, also 13's are cheaper.

Davey D

posted on 22/12/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
What about the t28. Should be able to pick one up for a good price
Proby

posted on 22/12/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I got hold of a 16t cheap, which is why I picked it. Is it going to spool up too late? Little worried now, only wanting to run 7 psi ish to start with!

Visit GraphicMonster

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/12/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
16t will work

Here is a datalog from my gsxr1100 engined. Boost controlled to stay below about 12psi.

Not sure whether 16t is optimal if you are running low boost on a 900cc bike engine.

peter bland

posted on 22/12/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, looks like 13 t might be the favourite.
Volvorsport

posted on 23/12/12 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
13c is the one.... fitted to all the 940 turbos post 90 apart from some garrets but these were rare.

the main difference is the flange on the exhaust , conical or flat . 13c is only conical.

flat is easiest of course for making an exhaust , i cant imagine anybody having the tooling to form a flare in the garage...

15g/16t are 5 cylinder versions .they just have a bigger compressor housing than the 13c , part thottle will produce boost ........

youll need some big circlip pliers aswell for reclocking the turbo , just remove the little pin .

they have a CBV which can sometime split , it may be easier to blank it off and fit a proper dump valve depending on the way you fuel the engine....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Proby

posted on 23/12/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like I might be trading the 16t for a 13c then! I've not started fitting it yet. I may as well swap it before I start.

Visit GraphicMonster

Volvorsport

posted on 23/12/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
tbh , the 16t is the better turbo - if you want to sell it , give us a shout ....

make sure you have a decent intercooler , the 13c will start to heat air up as soon as you go outside its efficiency range , as would any turbo , but you dont want any ping at all .....

13c/15g/16t all share the same footprint and turbine housing , so its not too much effort to swap them anyway.

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.