Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turn down the volume

posted on 24/12/12 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Turn down the volume

As I'm a tad deaf sound quality on the TV is everything.

The setup is that the Sagem hard drive runs the TV and the sound runs through my HiFi separates
to the sand filled speakers. The Sherwood amp/radio is set to AUX and the volume set half way.
For TV everything then works off the hard drive remote, channel, volume, rec, play. etc.

The second one up in the pic is a DVD/CD player which we hardly ever use. Neither of us are into music.

Since it's Christmas the wife suggested we put a Christmas CD on so there I am down on my knees
looking for the right buttons to press. Switch amp to CD, press On switch (DVD player), press load,
insert disc, press close, aaaaaaaand play.

200 decibels would be an under estimate as the DVD player volume was set to full.
White "confetti" floated down all around us, and it took a moment or two to turn it down and realise
what had happened. Our eyes gazed at the dust cover cone in the speaker and DID WE LAUGH.

We laugh every time we walk past it now, but will probably stop when we have to buy new ones.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Paul & Aileen G

note the speakers
note the speakers

ashg

posted on 24/12/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
oh dear.

if you ring mission they can probably supply you with a replacement driver if you dont want to buy a new pair, i blew one of the driver units in my m73's in a similar fashion.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

balidey

posted on 24/12/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
We had something similar a while back.
First I must explain that we had British Gas out to service our boiler in the morning.
Then in the afternoon we were in the kitchen and heard this sudden and deafening noise like gas escaping.
We immediately panicked, assumed there was a gas leak as a result of the boiler service and started to bail out.
As we ran past the lounge we noticed the noise was coming from in there.
Thats when I assumed it was our gas fire leaking.
But no gas smell and the fire has not been touched for months.
Then I realised that the sound of the 'gas leak' was actually our amp had been turned on, aux input selected, volume up to max and the sound of static at full blast was just like a gas leak.

Luckily no damage to our speaker cones, just a change of underwear.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

posted on 24/12/12 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
oh dear.

if you ring mission they can probably supply you with a replacement driver if you dont want to buy a new pair, i blew one of the driver units in my m73's in a similar fashion.

Hi Ash

They are Mission 733i 's and now obsolete, but they do a replacement that requires minor mods to the case. ( £99 /pair )
Don't know if you can see but there's radial cracks in the left one so a pair is needed.

The laugh has now reduced to a grin.

Cheers,
Paul G

MikeRJ

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately this is quite a common problem with the white plastic coned drivers in Mission speakers. The plastic becomes brittle with age and it only takes a small knock or a slight incident with the volume control to break the cones up.

The replacement drivers have black cones, so you'd probably want to replace both. This place shows a price of £59 per driver, which makes the economics of fixing these a bit dubious when a brand new pair of Mission M33i's is £199.

ashg

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think I paid something similar from memory. Much cheaper than a new pair of speakers though. Just think of it as a nice little refresh.

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Unfortunately this is quite a common problem with the white plastic coned drivers in Mission speakers. The plastic becomes brittle with age and it only takes a small knock or a slight incident with the volume control to break the cones up.

The replacement drivers have black cones, so you'd probably want to replace both. This place shows a price of £59 per driver, which makes the economics of fixing these a bit dubious when a brand new pair of Mission M33i's is £199.

That link shows a pair as £92

Cheers Mike

Paul G

ashg

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have you looked to see if you can get a recone kit?

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

rusty nuts

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you weld it up Paul?
All the best for Xmas to you and your family, see you in the new year for a beer or two . Mel

mds167

posted on 24/12/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wilmslow Audio is another place for replacement drivers and upgraded crossovers but they aren't cheap. Good story but a real shame!

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

posted on 24/12/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Now don't get complicated Ash.

I can cope with filing a hole out, doing up some screws, even soldering a couple of wires on.

Anything else I'm lost, unless it has a dizzy an' a set of points.

Hi Mel

Can't weld it mate. The HF will just make the speaker go GRZZZZZZZZZZZZZK
Always up for a pint though. Happy Christmas.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.