Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cost of powder coating
carlknight1982

posted on 15/3/13 at 03:44 AM Reply With Quote
cost of powder coating

Im looking to improve the finish on my roll bar, its basically roller painted in hammerite and im not happy with it never have been but it got thru the iva test, im wondering what the cost of getting it powder coated would be and what the finish would be like over having it chemically plated like black nickel and clear etc etc

opinions and experiances?

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

dave r

posted on 15/3/13 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
powder coating chips.....

5 wheels blasted and coated at perfect coatings near you (meppershal) was about 225

do look nice but do chip if you knock them (same as any paint really)

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Matt_C

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
All depends where you have it done. I got my whole chassis, wishbones etc blasted and powdercoated for £250. That is a place in derby though so not very convenient for you. They are much harder wearing compared to paint but you need it blasting first to key it or it can just flake off.

The factory supplied powder coat on the Luego Velocity's was appauling, no blasting and a mate managed to pull huge chunks off with gaffa tape.

mcerd1

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
^^ as above - it will chip eventually, so it must be blasted first to make it last a decent length of time

also I'm told the satin black is normally the toughest finish
the clear coat they put on wheels etc is the most likley to get chipped, I had my hubs done in silver but without the clear top coat and its very tough

my chassis with a few odds and sods cost me £450 inc VAT - so not cheap but the guy I use does a first class job
small extra bits I've had done since like hubs cost me about £10 each

the POR15 stuf gets a good name, but its not cheap either....

[Edited on 15/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

rusty nuts

posted on 15/3/13 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Por15 followed by Hardnose paint is holding up far better than the powder coating the chassis etc were original coated with.Not to expensive either.
fullpint

posted on 17/3/13 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Powder coat (if done right) is a lot tougher and far more durable than paint out of a tin.
Blasting is a must.
I always show people two sample pieces which are powder coated and smash them together so they can see just how tough powder coat is. No chips..
I would go for powder coat mate but like every thing some people may not agree.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 17/3/13 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Try these guys. They did all my interior panels and engine bay panels. It all turned out really well and was way cheaper than I expected.

G and L coatings

snakebelly

posted on 17/3/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Our old Avon roll cage was done by a local company under a sponsoship deal, most people wouldn't believe it was paint the finish was so good and it never ever chipped, it's all down to the prep, get it done by a good company and it should last forever.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.