Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: coolant replacement
danny84

posted on 21/6/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
coolant replacement

Me again!!!!
I'm fitting a temperature sensor to my R1 indy by moddifying an existing T piece in the top hose connected to the radiator. Soooo when i took this piece out i rekon i lost about 400ml of coolant some on the garage floor,some in a measuring jug.How do i go out about putting the coolant back in and getting rid of any air locks.Coz in theory there are two hoses full of air now.I figure i have a pressurised system.
The radiator has no cap on but does have a small diametre water hose coming out the top horizontally withe a screw and jubilee clip.Is this for bleeding.

Full idiot proof instructions please.

Cheers Danny

Jon Ison

posted on 21/6/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
You must surly have an expansion bottle in the system?
danny84

posted on 21/6/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Expansion tank.The system works fine just don't want to F*** things up when i refill!!!

I know the coolant goes in the expansion tank but will i get any air locks when i reconnect the T piece or will the system bleed itself??

[Edited on 21/6/13 by danny84]

james h

posted on 21/6/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
From my experience, you should be fine. It is a bleed coming from the top of the rad - I've decided to link this to the header/expansion tank in my car. So in your case I would just use that as a bleed.

There may also be a bleed at the thermostat, depending on engine year. The 5PW R1 has a small diameter bleed pipe running from the thermostat to the expansion tank. In some cases, people take the pipe off and tap the thermostat, then use a bolt as a bleed as well.

James

danny84

posted on 22/6/13 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah there is a small pipe off the thermostat which is also blocked with a bolt too.I was told this was used originally for the carb heater on the bike.i could use this too as a bleed.Cheers for the replys guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.