Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Specing a Dry Sump pump?
Benzo

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Specing a Dry Sump pump?

Hi guys,

Im installing a BMW v8 into a project i have the current oil pump is situated in the sump and it is around 6 inches deep, to get the bonnet clearance i need to install the engine, i need to make that sump slimmer, ive tried the pump from an X5 which uses the same engine but its still allows my sump to hang too low.

My only option is to buy an external pump and run it off a belt drive with either a single stage pump and a wet sump or a dry sump with a 3/4 stage pump.

I have a guy doing the shell fabrication for me at the moment, he is a very capable fabricator, he can make me a sump but how do i get details for the or required flow rate, oil pressure etc to spec the pump i will require? how do i work out the engine speed of the power take off for the pump or the gearing required for the pump?

Is there any kind of references which give engine statistics like this?

Thanks.

ashg

posted on 16/8/13 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
the newer m3's run a dry sump system, i reckon that would do it. failing that its taking apart the old pump and calculating the volume it can flow.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Barlidge

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using that lump also and at some point will have to answer the same question. Vag motorsport do them but not cheap

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m60-m62-dry-sump-kit-p1648.aspx

I spoke to Pace who sent me a spec form which I haven't got round to filling in yet but most of the answers for it can be found in the TIS manual.

how low is the sump with the X5 sump in?

Benzo

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barlidge
I'm using that lump also and at some point will have to answer the same question. Vag motorsport do them but not cheap

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m60-m62-dry-sump-kit-p1648.aspx

I spoke to Pace who sent me a spec form which I haven't got round to filling in yet but most of the answers for it can be found in the TIS manual.

how low is the sump with the X5 sump in?

Hi mate, what are you putting the engine in to?

I've found vac Motorsport, dailey engineering & a company in englad here who will make me a kit, but it's going to cost Around 3.5k+ which I'm not sure my project is worth!

If you think you will have clearance for the x5 parts I have about £700 of new parts sitting here which I would be willing to sell seeing as they now don't do my job.

Have you seen the installation on the v8forum.co.uk? I got Excited and bought a load of new parts which I would be interested in recouping a few quid on.

Drop me a pm mate

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.