Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T Dual fuel cookers arrgghhh
aka Keith

posted on 31/10/13 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
O/T Dual fuel cookers arrgghhh

A way of topic for the helpful collective - from cars to cookers

We are looking to reaplce our dual fuel cooker (as it is beginning to show its age) and we got it with the house over 10 years ago (electric overn with a gas hob). link to photo archive attached

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/galthumbs/P1020862.jpg

Now the space we have is 60cm between the low level carcasses and 60 cm between the overhead carcasses when you take out the extractor fan.

Can someone please tel me in simple english if I can replace my zanussi 60cm cooker with another 60cm cooker (eg a SMEG which requires no gap between it and carcasses).

Looking at some internet sites, installers are saying that they (the installers) require a 2cm gap on each side and I do not want to pay for someone to come out and then refuse to sign it off. So are they asking for 2cm gap for working space to install, or is it a certificate standards, even though it doe not ask for these in SMEG tech and installation manuals?

Cheers
Craig

JohnH

posted on 31/10/13 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to fit any cooker into the space. As a joiner we leave very little gap down the side of cookers as they get full of food stuff. Most free standing cookers have cool sides, so no need for a gap. Your pictures very small. Good luck.
Irony

posted on 31/10/13 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I've left very little gap between the cooker and the cupboards. Maybe 2mm. Why don't you get a all electric one and fit it yourself. Gas hobs are awesome but the modern halogen and induction electric hobs are getting close these days.

Buy one from boots online, cheap, awesome selection and the missus gets the boot points to spend on tat.

[Edited on 31/10/13 by Irony]

nick205

posted on 31/10/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Buy one from boots online, cheap, awesome selection and the missus gets the boot points to spend on tat.

[Edited on 31/10/13 by Irony]

Can't help with the OP's question, but the "tat" made me laugh...quite hard

mcerd1

posted on 31/10/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
big pic:
kitchen cooker old
kitchen cooker old

looks like you've got a decent sized kitchen at least

just replaced mine (all gas, too much ££ for the electric ovens )

mine is tight to the sides and the installers were perfectly happy with it
(got john lewis to do it as the price matched, delivery was free and fitting cost next to nowt )

-

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/10/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got the same doors and worktops ……… Kitchen MFI worktops Focus I think
JoelP

posted on 1/11/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Gas fitters have a legal requirement to fit to the manufacturers specification. Hence if the book says 2cm, they have to do that. However, many installers won't check, and in reality it doesn't need the 2cms. If you first man refuses to fit it, just call in another and don't pay the first.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

adam1985

posted on 1/11/13 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
The installer should fit to the manufacturers instructions which will more than likely be 2cm anyway as thats what the regs are. If the gap is tight it should ring alarm bells to the engineer to check the clearences. If you get a heating engineer who does fit it then id be worried as they obviously arent that good.

Whats the point in trying to get somebody to fit it when you know its wrong, you might aswell do it yourself if you dont want it done correctly. all its doing is wasting your time and the engineers time, you need to rework the units, 500mm cooker or see if electric will fit.

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/11/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
i would be doing that myself. a bit of gas ptfe tape, and adjustable and that is it.
I get really fed up with the "it is too dangerous to do it yourself" brigade, or indeed the " I must have a certificate"

Having just sold my house, nobody has paid any interest in the gas or electrical systems. About the only questions related to planning and building regs for my carport. I explained I had the pp, and regs are not required.......

gas work is not mystical or difficult.

aka Keith

posted on 1/11/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the replies.

The main reason I originally asked was that for the cooker we are looking to replace it with, when you look at the fitting instructions it does not give any clearance for sides between carcass, and yet if you look on some so called websites that are selling the same cooker, it says that you need 2cm either side so I did not want someone to refuse to fit if that is part of the package.

I called theUk head office of the manufacturing company and the sales people said 2cm gap required, even thought their brochures said that it can be fitted next to kitchen furniture - but when I asked the manufacturing company technical office they said 1 or 2 cm either side for easy of installation (they did not say it was a legal requirement). So if I have the manufacturing company giving me two sets of so called advice...fun as you can see.

many thanks for the replies

Cheers
Craig

iank

posted on 2/11/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
i would be doing that myself. a bit of gas ptfe tape, and adjustable and that is it.
I get really fed up with the "it is too dangerous to do it yourself" brigade, or indeed the " I must have a certificate"

Having just sold my house, nobody has paid any interest in the gas or electrical systems. About the only questions related to planning and building regs for my carport. I explained I had the pp, and regs are not required.......

gas work is not mystical or difficult.

The problem comes if there is an accident as an insurance company will sue you into the stone age if you can't show qualifications.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JoelP

posted on 2/11/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Some people will not want to do gas work themselves. Others will and might be fine. But at the same time, there are plenty of people who think they can do it but actually can't do it safely. Hence it's a bad idea advising diy gas work. As with most things, it's simple when you know how!

I would add that a gas fitter not checking the instructions is still safer than someone doing it themselves, as they will still assumedly pressure test it on completion, which a diyer won't do.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.