New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NAS Help
daveb666

posted on 6/1/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
NAS Help

I want to get a NAS for my home. It will have 2 main functions:

1 - Act as an archive/backup for the wife's photos
2 - Act as storage for my movies/music etc

I want 2 x 2(or 4)TB drives. I will then split each into two, and then use RAID (therefore this is a requirement also) to mirror the data so that if one fails I don't loose everything.

I need a USB socket - this will plug directly into my TV so I can play movies/music
I need it to be wireless (so we can access files via iPad/tablet/phone)
I need it to be wired so that it can be accessed by the hard-wired computer in the office.
Ideally relatively quiet as it will be in the lounge

I don't need any other bells and whistles (I don't think).

Can anyone recommend the most cost effective solution for the above please? Happy to buy enclosures/drives separately if that's easier.

[Edited on 6/1/14 by daveb666]

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

blakep82

posted on 6/1/14 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea on NAS systems (is raid hardware or software controlled?)
You may need to rethink the usb situation, as I think you'll end up trying to connect 2 things both trying to be a host, and both trying to power the other? I dont know, but I don't think this will work

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rgrs

posted on 6/1/14 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
You are going to struggle, as far as i can remember there is a lacie drive on the market that allowed access via usb to a separate partition.

You don't normally get both lan and usb access. The usb sockets on most nas are there to add storage not access it.

But by their very nature they are designed to be accessed via Lan. Have a delv deeper into your tv and see if it can access media files via a Lan connection.

Roger

britishtrident

posted on 6/1/14 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
You can generally access via the USB socket but on any I have used you cannot connect via Ethernet and USB at the same time.
To connect by WiFi the drive is connected by wired Ethernet to your WiFi router.
It is really best to avoid hardware raid unless you really know what you are doing it in my experience it is much more likely. to result in data loss than automated backup to another drive.

Just use a normal back-up programming such as Cobian Backup to do automated full and incremental backups to another NAS or USB drive.
For archiving and backing-up photos Google Picasa works exceptionally well.

[Edited on 6/1/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

scudderfish

posted on 6/1/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Never think of RAID as a back up solution. It will protect you against a disk failing, but if you accidentally delete a file it just enables you to automatically delete it twice.
Mr C

posted on 6/1/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've a WD My Book Live Duo which does all the things you need. Mines set up predominantly to store and play my CD collection via a Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 and controlled by an iPad

Mines 6TB (2x3TB Hard drives) configured to 3TB using the built in Raid software in case of a hard drive failure. It has a USB port in the back if you need it. I've plugged mine into the router modem (BT home hub) I use the network power plugs to distrubute to my hifi where there is another router for the PS3, BluRay player, Apple TV and Media Streamer. I also access it wiressly through the home hub via the TV, laptops iPad etc.

I prefer the wired approach for music etc as I stream lossless files (FLAC) at a very very bitrate, equivelent to SACD if done wireless the network might not cope with it. that said, for MP3 etc it would probably be fine. not sure how it performs with films etc as I don't store or stream them. Its fully DNLA compliant and the latest version which streams more file types than previous versions

There are loads of other features as well, remote access from anywhere in the world etc.

I'm very happy with my setup, I've finally got it doing what I want it to after a few years of messing about with various streamers, NAS drives etc. This one works really well, along with some peace of mind with the back up if a disk fails, I don't have to rip all my CD collection again!!!

More info here..http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=620

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

jossey

posted on 6/1/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Zyxel 320

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 6/1/14 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Buffalo, comes with free backup software. Mine is a basic single drive network only, but has been great so far. Even allows you to access online. You dont need it to be wireless as your wifi router will sort that.

Mistral Motorsport

Barlidge

posted on 6/1/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a Terastaion for shared home storage for about 7 years to store pics,movies and all the other shared family stuff. Its not the cheapest but it's been faultless. I have it configured in raid5 to protect against local disc failure and am just looking into an online backup solution to protect against the likes of theft/fire/total hardware failure (mainly for the photographs).

It's configurable with individual permissions to separate areas so the little one can access stuff but not inadvertently delete things. but there are open areas where everyone can read/write.

DLNA certified so Smart TV's PS3 etc can stream stuff off it either wired or wirelessly via the wireless router. It may not be everyones cup of tea but it's done everything I've asked of it.

britishtrident

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
The major problem with depending Raid to keep your data safe is that the biggest single threat to your files is malware and virui, if depend on Raid you just multiply the number of copies of your files that are destroyed.
A combination of regular full and incremental back ups ensures that you can get your files to the state they were in before they were corrupted.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.