Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank earth
leon51274

posted on 1/5/14 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank earth

Morning,

It's been brought to my attention of the requirement of earthing the fuel tank for IVA, something I must confess had completely been forgotten about!

There is currently an earth for the sender but I'm under the impression that this isn't good enough. My initial thought was to put an earth via one of the aluminium brackets that holds the tank in place, however these have rubber strips between the brackets and the tank which makes it no good what so ever!

How have you guys gone about earthing your fuel tanks?

This is something I need to sort PDQ as IVA has now been paid for!

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Leon

loggyboy

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Is the metal mount/bracket of the tank connected directly to the chassis? If so its automatically earthed.

Mistral Motorsport

leon51274

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Is the metal mount/bracket of the tank connected directly to the chassis? If so its automatically earthed.

Yes it is, but would the rubber in between them not cancel out the fact that the bracket is earthed? Or am I missing something!

Cheers

Slimy38

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, the rubber straps effectively insulate the tank from electricity as well as vibration. If I remember correctly the sender that I'm going to use on mine is also insulated with a gasket, so while the sender will be grounded the tank won't be.

I would just go for a hole drilled in the tank, then either a rivnut or rivet to secure a tag for an earth wire. Just need to ensure the swarf from the hole is removed.

[Edited on 1/5/14 by Slimy38]

leon51274

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Yep, the rubber straps effectively insulate the tank from electricity as well as vibration. If I remember correctly the sender that I'm going to use on mine is also insulates with a gasket, so while the sender will be grounded the tank won't be.

I would just go for a hole drilled in the tank, then either a rivnut or rivet to secure a tag for an earth wire. Just need to ensure the swarf from the hole is removed.

Umm, this was what I didn't want to do but at the moment I can't see any other way around it. My sender also sits on a plastic gasket type thing so that's also a no go.

adithorp

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
The sender and it's earth are grounded to the tank via the securing bolts. The IV earth requirement is to prevent static build up so a large earth isn't required and I thought the sender earth was sufficient. If not you could trap a wire between the straps rubber and tank (on the tank side).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

theduck

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have earthed my tank and using the captive bolt that the sender fastens to. Could you not do similar?
leon51274

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
I have earthed my tank and using the captive bolt that the sender fastens to. Could you not do similar?

I've just checked for continuity between one of the bolts on the sender too the fuel tank and all is ok, another job off the list!

Cheers for the help chaps.

serieslandy

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to surgest using a jubille clip around one the the outlets with a ring crimp.
Like an earth clamp for copper pipe.

leon51274

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Rather than risking anything I've fitted a separate earth from a sender bolt to chassis and checked the tank with a multimeter and all is nicely earthed.

Cheers for the advice.

The Black Flash

posted on 1/5/14 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Get a photo of it if it's somewhere hard to see, as he might want to look at it. Mine was happy with a photo.
leon51274

posted on 1/5/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
Get a photo of it if it's somewhere hard to see, as he might want to look at it. Mine was happy with a photo.

Its all nicely in view.

renetom

posted on 1/5/14 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
The senders earth tag to the chassis is fine
Our examiner actually checked ours & was happy
with that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.