Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP HELP HELP R1 breakdown
danny84

posted on 6/7/14 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
HELP HELP HELP R1 breakdown

This is a long shot but has anyone near Stranraer got a spare set of R1 4xv
Coil packs and leads.Im on a short break from the north east and heading home tomorrow.
The car seems to be running fine on full throttle then on 3 cylinders when on part throttle or idle.
Any ideas ??
I can get back to our digs today but don't fancy the drive home if it's not running right!!!!!
Failing that it's recovery and dealing with it next week.
Any help would be much appreciated)))

teegray19

posted on 6/7/14 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
if you find a local halfords grab some contact cleaner and spray the electrical connections to the plugs and coils etc.

doubt it would be a coil as you'd be down to 2.

a quick google pulled up some common probs with water in the HT leads etc. (not surprising looking at day one piccys!

hows the trip bar that?

Built Formular 27 with 1600cc crossflow, 1700cc 0 miles crossflow, Kawasaki ZZR1100

chicade

posted on 6/7/14 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds more like a blocked jet in a carb might easier to check and clean them first
sdh2903

posted on 6/7/14 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Had this exact issue on my 4xv.

Are you running the std coil/ht lead or longer leads?

I had the exact symptoms you describe and it was a ht lead that had come loose at the coil. Bonded the lead back into the coil with some sika and was fine afterwards.

As previously stated doubt it's a coil as they work in pairs so you'd have 2 cylinders down so my bet would def be a lead/plug problem.

danny84

posted on 6/7/14 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
The leads are standard with Nippon denso coil packs.Ive been out a few hours in my friends kit just to kill some time,came back and started the car and all seems fine again???
I'm wondering if the ht lead is failing when the engine is running hot??
It looks as though someone has been at it at some point as there is a bit of silicone type stuff where the lead goes into the coil pack.
I'll chance the drive back tomorrow and if it starts running like a bag of shite again just call recovery to get me home.
Then I 'll source some new parts.

sdh2903

posted on 6/7/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing someone has fitted longer leads and held in with silicon. The leads are just pushed on to the contact in the coil. From the factory it's like a resin that holds it in. I used araldite at first but it went brittle and started misfiring. Glued them in with sika flex and they were fine. Also check the lead is well screwed in tight to the cap at the plug end too.
philfingers

posted on 7/7/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
could be plugs. I have a 2003 YB11 with a Thunderace motor in it, predecessor to the R1
I had a misfire and very low revs and tickover. Bike has done maybe 1500miles from new. Stripped the carbs, they were mint inside. Turned out to be a dodgy plug, ran fine higher up but failed low down, which is rare. Maybe worth a set of plugs before anything else

The true home of cars born under the Sylva name - http://jpsc.org.uk/forum

STM Phoenix R1
Sold-Sylva Striker 1300xf, 40s etc
Sold-Sylva Phoenix, 1300xf, BVH, 234cam, 2xDCOE 40s, live axle - 'old school', rally car and a few bikes

danny84

posted on 8/7/14 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I might just get plugs and leads to be sure.
I'm buying a new engine this week and hopefully fitting it a soon as poss so want everything to be right.
Cheers for the replies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.