Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie question - gearbox
Lawnmower

posted on 16/1/05 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
Newbie question - gearbox

Hi, I hope to use an Rover o series EFi engine which comes with i believe a (honda) pg-1 gearbox.

This is from a montego estate, fwd.
Front discs, 2l petrol, 115bhp.

My question is , if i stick the engine in the back of a locost, so it is a RWD, then won't the gear box be sticking out the back too, or have a misssed something?

scoobyis2cool

posted on 16/1/05 at 02:17 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know any details about the engine/gearbox you mention, but if you are planning on building a 'seven' type car then I think you'll find you'll need the engine in the front, and you will need to mate it to a rear wheel drive gearbox (commonly the type 9 box from a sierra).

I have seen a rear-engined seven style car, so it is possible, but the vast majority are front engined, rear wheel drive.

If you are planning on building a rear-engined car then I'm afraid I haven't got any experience of those at all, but I would've though you could just take the whole engine-gearbox-driveshafts unit and put it in the back of a purpose built chassis. I'm sure other people will be able to give you a bit more detail than that!

Hope that helps

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheGecko

posted on 16/1/05 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Given that you're asking this question here in the Mid Engine section of the forum I'm going to assume that you're proposing a mid-engined Locost using the complete FWD Rover drivetrain.

Job one, have a look under the bonnet of the Montego and familarise yourself with the layout. Unless the Montego is extremely unusual amongst modern FWD cars, it'll have the gearbox hanging off one end and the whole lot arranged transversely acroos the engine bay (normally with the gearbox at the left although some vehicles have it the other way). The differential housing pokes out of the back of the gearbox and the half shafts run along just behimd the engine and box.

So, in answer ro your question, no the gearbox shouldn't be "sticking out the back". The wheels go back further than the box.

Hope this helps,

Dominic

theconrodkid

posted on 16/1/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
its a VW box on them,only the diff will be hanging out the back.they are a bit long in the tooth now,why not use a mondeo lump?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Lawnmower

posted on 16/1/05 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.
Reason for using it is that by the time I get round to building somthing, it will be a yaer on fom now, and the montego will have failed its MOT due to spreading rust.

Car is not mine yet, but have first dibs ahead of the scrapyard. Unfortunatly it is 100 miles away, and at the moment I am not commited to a particular design-EXCEPT the design will form around what is available cheaply to me rather than what I would ideally like it to be (cost).

For front engined rwd, I would need to get another gearbox (lt77) from a sherpa / sd1/lr -more cost

The gearbox rover used started out as a VW, but got changed to a honda according to:
http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm

Your rigth, i do need to look under bonnets, just i wrote that question late last night 100 miles from he car in question.

theconrodkid

posted on 16/1/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
i worked on montys of all years and never met a honda box,afaik all honda engines of the period rotated the other way so engine would have been on passenger side???

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

big_wasa

posted on 16/1/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
engine in the back

Hi, check out sylva's website for ideas.Its ford bassed ,and not locost but a nice looking car...... www.sylva.co.uk
Lawnmower

posted on 16/1/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks,

Am still in the ideas phase at the moment, so will consider anything!

Aloupol

posted on 16/1/05 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
I have seen a rear-engined seven style car.

I saw the pic of a car looking like a mid engined Seven, not the R1OT, something realy close to a Seven.
I don't find it now, anyone has got the link?

[Edited on 16/1/05 by Aloupol]

TheGecko

posted on 16/1/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Could it have been mine? Here's a recent pic of the model - the real project is on hold currently due to recent changes in my personal life
Gecko model with silver sides
Gecko model with silver sides

Dominic

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.