Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2-pack zinc chromate primer disposal
David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/22 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
2-pack zinc chromate primer disposal

Before anyone says it - I know that this is nasty stuff, but I only used to brush it on, in very small quantities...

I'm in the midst of a massive garage clear-out, and now I'm onto all the stuff that you can't take the the usual council tip - paints, old coolant full of anti-freeze, brake fluid, & stuff like that. I intend to pay for a 'hazardous materials' collection with the local council's refuse department (it's subsidised, but still has to be paid for - hopefully not too expensive).

During this process I came across 1 tin and 1 container of 2-pack chromate primer, well over 15 years old, which I'd like to put into a less hazardous state before it's collected.

Would it be a seriously exothermic reaction if I pour the catalyst into the base material? There's enough room in the can. Probably it would just set, but I really don't want a can of overheating nasty stuff in my garage!

The reason for asking this is that a while ago I had a can of old fibreglassing resin that I wanted to get rid of, so I put some hardener in it - thankfully it was in a metal container, as it got VERY hot!

obfripper

posted on 6/5/22 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
It won't get hot as polyester resin does so should be fine, but you may find the hardener has gone solid anyway. It will usually last 2-3 years if unopened, and around 6-12 months once opened and exposed to the air/moisture.

Dave

David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/22 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
The hardener is still liquid - but I have no idea how effective it will be after 15+ years!

Nice to know it won't get all nasty on me though - but the stuff really stinks, even when in the open air, so I doubt that I'll be popular with the wife while it goes off...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.