Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Doors advice (DIY)
swanny

posted on 4/9/23 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Garage Doors advice (DIY)

I have an up and over door on my now (half garage) which is now only used to store bikes.
The up and over is a bit knackered and it limits storage possibilities on the walls (i'd like to have old kitchen cupboards and bikes there)

Side hung doors seem a decent option.

I have a guy near me with hundreds of offcuts of Cedral https://www.cedral.world/en-gb/ for about a quid per length. So i thought about cladding door frames in this to avoid having to do any maintenance (paint etc)

is this a silly idea? what is the best sort of bracing to add to the doors? I did look at buying old doors and cladding them in the Cedral but the doors are pretty narrow and they arent standard size, so picking up s/hand doors is unlikely.

I also worried that over boarding old doors would make the finished thing ridiculously heavy.

I'm not really a wood worker tbh

paul

HowardB

posted on 4/9/23 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have done side hanging doors clad in timber and insulated to keep the cold out. The garage doors were hung on solid hinges and very very heavy.
The timber frames were 4x2" and clad with 3/4" T&G.
So far they have lasted about 20 years

I have seen where vendors have sold steel frames allowing for DIY installation of planking.

I don't have any digital pics - but can probably find the analogue ones if it will help

nick205

posted on 4/9/23 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got tarmac/blocks (hard smooth surface) outside your garage you could have little wheels to support the door weight as they swing open. I'd suggest drop bolt things on either door as well so you can be sure they stay open when taking stuff in/out of the garage.

As it happens I too have 1/3 garage with up n over door (after making an extra bedrrom). the up n over door certainly limits wall storage space! My doors is in good working order though so no change on the budget for now.

coyoteboy

posted on 4/9/23 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you can build a car, you can build some steel framed garage doors.
SteveWalker

posted on 4/9/23 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I did with my side gates. 25mm steel angle, braced (in tension) by a 40mm flat strip and with plates for hinge mountings, locks and for one gate to be prevented from passing the other. Infilled with timber.
gremlin1234

posted on 4/9/23 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, more questions than answers...
what size door do you need?
could you just have one ~1m wide door, and brick in the rest of the opening?
would you want to insulate the door?

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/23 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
I had huge side hung doors on my last house, the garage was a converted barn so they were big enough to get a tractor in. All painted wood they have lasted many decades. I actually liked them as they offered quite a bit of protection from the wind when half opened, I use to even throw a tarp over them to give me a extra space to work out the rain. I think using artificial wood is a good idea, although not necessary. Just make sure you can latch them open so they don't blow back in the wind as apart from hitting the car they can give you a right smack!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
swanny

posted on 5/9/23 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
sorry, more questions than answers...
what size door do you need?
could you just have one ~1m wide door, and brick in the rest of the opening?
would you want to insulate the door?

overall opening is just about 2m dead. i probably need 2 door to make getting bikes in and out easier. (its only a couple of metres deep now too since half of it got converted into a utility room!)

Insulating isnt a massive issue tbh.

nick205

posted on 5/9/23 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Insulating mine now isn't a consideration really either. When it was a garage it was as I wanted to warm the space for winter working. I'm not looking to keep bikes and some tools warm though.

As above, ensure whatever doors you make can be held open so they don't blow shut and hit you or whatever you're moving in/out.

Also ensure the rain run off is good and you prevent rain from getting underneath and back into the garage space.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/9/23 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I personally want to insulate my door, my garage was a windy gap filled mess, it would get endless condensation problems because it got cold at night and then ambient air temps warmed up and blew through moist warm air - everything got soaked. Everyone told me to get more ventilation but that wouldn't be physically possible without removing the door. Instead, I sealed everything and insulated the roof and door, and now it's a nice place to be and I don't get damp problems because the surfaces remain warm and above the dew point.

[Edited on 5/9/2023 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.