Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coffee bean grinder recommendation please?
nick205

posted on 4/11/23 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Coffee bean grinder recommendation please?

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend an electric coffee bean grinder please?

Budget sub £70 ideally.

Must grind suitable for French press/cafetiere.

Ideally something you can purchase online as too.

Thank you people.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/11/23 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
The general view is that you want to buy a burr grinder if you can. But cheap burr grinders can have real issues. Check out this video for an understanding of the foibles and maybe some hints towards an acceptable one...bear in mind he's a world class coffee chap and he concentrates on espresso grind which is a lot harder to get right so this review will be unfairly harsh.
https://youtu.be/AVYGxext8XI?si=XtfuMdSLSBGC8HfL

This guy rates things fairly and will often be favourable to cheap things if they just work, he's not an unrealistic coffee snob.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob and I can get a blade grinder to do a half decent cafetiere grind but it's hard to recommend it.

[Edited on 5/11/2023 by coyoteboy]

bi22le

posted on 5/11/23 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
I wish I was a coffee snob, I love decent coffee and have ( what I think) is a decent set up.

I use a Krups Burr grinder, something like the £60 high street one you see if you Google it. The better coffee snobs at work were impressed by it.

For reference I use a Gaggia Classic, basically the best you can get in a smaller configuration.

I just struggle to find decent beans.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 6/11/23 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback on this, useful to hear burr grinders are probably favoured over blade ones.

A friend had recommended a Bodum blade grinder (one he uses and seems happy with)

https://www.bodum.com/gb/en/11160-01uk-3-bistro

He brews his coffee in an Aeropress.

He also commented getting good beans can be hard work!

McLannahan

posted on 6/11/23 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
We have the Krups GVX2 - It's been a really good grinder, but it has had a hard life and gets used a lot. The button failed (snapped and fell into the body) but I was able to dismantle it and fabricate a replacement plastic mount from an old credit card. Button now a lot more sturdy and has lasted very well so far.

https://www.krups.co.uk/COFFEE-GRINDERS-AND-FROTHERS/COFFEE-GRINDERS/KRUPS-GVX231-Expert-Burr-Grinder-Black-/p/1500813215

bi22le

posted on 6/11/23 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
We have the Krups GVX2 - It's been a really good grinder, but it has had a hard life and gets used a lot. The button failed (snapped and fell into the body) but I was able to dismantle it and fabricate a replacement plastic mount from an old credit card. Button now a lot more sturdy and has lasted very well so far.

https://www.krups.co.uk/COFFEE-GRINDERS-AND-FROTHERS/COFFEE-GRINDERS/KRUPS-GVX231-Expert-Burr-Grinder-Black-/p/1500813215

This is the same one as I have, which also gets a hard life. Its a right little trooper!

The button has not broken yet but the safety button triggers when the tray slides out under vibration. Normally a sign its due a good clean!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/23 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Just a side note and something I've mentioned on here before linky. It might sound like I'm being a total party pooper but I was just the same as you and I loved my coffee and strong too. But I did drink way too much as do many of my co-workers here do. Problem was I didn't realise just how much caffeine I was taking every day, about the same as 10 cans of redbull lol! The result was my blood pressure ended up 185/115, how bad was that? well it was laterally off the chart on the wall somewhere in the border...

These days as well as on medication which helps a lot I've gone rogue and now only drink decafe (boo hiss! I here you cry) but my blood pressure is now totally normal and I can tell. No headaches, not shaking hands, no weird sh&t going on with my eye's, no pounding heartbeat! I was told by more than one doctor I was very lucky not to have had a stroke or heart attack, which brings it home when I have two young kids I'd like to see grow up.

I sit here at work typing this in the morning while Steve the engineering manager sits down to another huge cup of brewed coffee, he's complaining of headaches, shakes and stresses out all the time, I've asked him to get his BP checked, don't think he's bothered...

Hopefully this is helpful, go and enjoy your coffee

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/11/23 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy

Thank you, points noted.

In my case epilepsy means quarterly blood tests, blood pressure checks and liver function tests.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/11/23 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure you need to be the public service announcement when someone wants a coffee grinder Coming close to the actions of the folk letting down SUV tyres because they guzzle fuel, while having no insight into whether those people drive the car much, whether it's a more eco version, whether there are specific reasons for them having it instead of a mini etc. But I recognise it's coming from a positive place.

Ironically I've gone from 7-9 double espresso shots per day to 2 and I sleep worse now than ever. BP was indeed a little elevated over my normal 90/60 but I am not a spring chicken anymore. I went for this sucker because it was 50 quid used with an electrical fault...

Slater

posted on 7/11/23 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I am Locost, 1 cup of coffee per day, and use a simple French Press/Cafetiere, which are £7.50 from Waitrose (£10 in Tesco!).

I get the pre-ground coffee from the supermarket, about £4 bag which lasts about 4-5 weeks.

But after reading above wonder if I should get a grinder and get the full beans and go for freshly ground brew? Does freshly ground make that much difference?

nick205

posted on 7/11/23 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
I am Locost, 1 cup of coffee per day, and use a simple French Press/Cafetiere, which are £7.50 from Waitrose (£10 in Tesco!).

I get the pre-ground coffee from the supermarket, about £4 bag which lasts about 4-5 weeks.

But after reading above wonder if I should get a grinder and get the full beans and go for freshly ground brew? Does freshly ground make that much difference?

Like you I currently have a French Press/Cafetiere (1 cupper) and buy pre-ground from the supermarket at £4 a bag. Makes reasonable coffee IMHO.

Just interested to experiment further and have a go a grinding. Winchester (home for me) has a coffee roaster selling beans so that'll be my start point.

As long as the coffee's not worse and there's not masses of clearing up involved then it's got to be worth a go. I work from home a fair bit so need something decent to drink of a morning!

[Edited on 7/11/23 by nick205]

coyoteboy

posted on 7/11/23 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be honest, I'm more than happy with a french press and avoiding espresso, I got the espresso machine for the ability to make stuff like mochas and latte's but I don't do it that often. And they're [french presses] less susceptible to coffee grind consistency. More often than not I'm doing a normal coffee. But I usually use a pour-over with paper filters, makes a nice cheap solution with a good smooth flavour. The key is the correct grind size and consistency and finding a bean you like. Pre-ground are almost always stale, even good quality, unless you buy pre-ground from a local roaster.

One device that I have tried that makes a REALLY nice coffee every time, with even cheaper beans, is a vacuum coffee pot with a cloth filter. If you can borrow one off someone to test it, you'll be impressed I'm sure. It's super smooth, lovely flavours and totally predictable every time. The Bodum ones are outrageously priced but aliexpress has some good ones for 55 quid, search for Japanese Style Electric Siphon coffee maker. It's a little process and a bit more cleaning, but we're engineery types and we like process right?

[Edited on 7/11/2023 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.