Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: troubleshooting on newly built 750 mc locost
raver

posted on 12/2/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
troubleshooting on newly built 750 mc locost

Hello all,

just been testing a newly built locost for the 750mc championship at pembrey in the wet, and have discovered some problems...

1. slight misfire/hestiation when getting back on throttle during cornering. ok at full thottle, acceleration. Im suspecting the float levels in the carb? any advice? -seems to be only under high 'g corners.

2. heavy inside-left wheel spin only during left handers, as the driver's wieght is on the right i appriciate that this may casue some wheel spin, but seems excessive. Im using poly (pretty hard) rear tailing arm bushes - could this cause the suspenson to lock up? Where can you find some softer equivilents?

Any ideas, pointers would be appriciated...

britishtrident

posted on 12/2/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
For the wheels spin check the corner weights could be front left and rear right are supporting most of the cars weight.

For the hesitation it might be worth check the the accelerator pump is working ok or it could be you need to look at the carb jetting to match the airfilter/intake you are using.

raver

posted on 13/2/05 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks will check the carb components.

the corner wieghts on the day were, n/s/f - 154, o/s/f - 149, n/s/r - 141, o/s/r - 182 (all in kg), so is heavy as you say on the front left and rear right, with a heavy driver how can you equise these weights?

I.S.M

posted on 13/2/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Those CW's are very good. Nice and close accross the front axle - just what you want.

This might sound a little patronising, but are the shocks of known valving? AVO inparticular are known for rubbish/inconsistant valving. Also, spring rates/tyre tread/wear?

Also......you were in the wet

Jamie Robinson
ARDS Circuit Driving Instruction
www.jamie-robinson.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chunkie

posted on 13/2/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've only just learned about suspension it's opposing corners that matter for weight distribution. If I learned correctly, Your N/s/f and o/s/r are 28Kg out - I wouldn't have thought that excessive but would have an effect in corners.

Stiffer spring/ preload would help on n/s/f IIRC - remember I only just learned all this so someone else may dispute it.

cheers

chunkielad

I.S.M

posted on 13/2/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry misread in my haste - difficult to know without knowing CW's with you in car.

Jamie Robinson
ARDS Circuit Driving Instruction
www.jamie-robinson.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
raver

posted on 13/2/05 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Those corner wieghts are including driver.

driver is 93kg (heavy!)

Do you think it is best to equalise rear wieghts as they are the driving wheels, and may be sensitive due to the solid axle?

Not sure about the dampers....

Is inside wheelspin common in the wet usually?

Chunkie

posted on 13/2/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Again, this is recently learned but...

INSIDE wheelspin could be - diagonal corners weights are not similar and also the suspension setup may not be keeping the wheel level and true to the floor in the turn.

Remember that it's DIAGONALLY OPPOSITE corners that are important not accross the car or front to back.

So, N/S/F should be similar to O/S/R and O/S/F should be similar to N/S/R.

Again, only just learning this stuff but that's how I've read it in Des Hammill's 'How to build and modify Sportscar and Kitcar suspension and brakes'.

blackie

posted on 13/2/05 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Talk to Ivan / Matt at Procomp (0121 350 3258) about bushes for your trailing links - they do nice compliant ones that are ideal.

DB

Locost82

posted on 16/2/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Well that's me confused then!!

My understanding was that the ideal situation is 25% weight in each corner, and failing that try to equalise across the axle.

Does anybody have a definitive guide to corner weights/weight balance etc?

I have always been confused over the benefit of a perfectly balanced car and a car that will go around a fast right-handed circuit (Mallory for example). I would have thought heavy inside wheels would reduce the weight transfer outwards and increase grip accordingly, or again am I confused and speaking out of my @rse?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.