Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Pipe Bender where abouts
wayner

posted on 1/11/02 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Pipe Bender where abouts

Where's the best place to buy a 1 1/4" pipe bender ( no not the the water pipe type ) and also the guides for forming the fish mouths, I want to build a light weight Reynolds tube chassis. Any second hand ones someone is finished with in the Bucks Berks area.
mad-butcher

posted on 1/11/02 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
pipe bender
i personally think this is a mistake a lot of people make pipe is generaly thick wall Tube is thin wall .I bought one of machine marts hydralic tube benders by mistake great on thick wall tube shite on thin wall it's all in the shape of the formers u can get away with it if you pack the tube with sand and then plug it
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 1/11/02 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I also have an MM bender. I used it on the tubing for the rear end of a previous locost chassis. First piece of tube collapsed bit then I tried it with a plumber's spring inside and it was OK. No good for 1 1/4" tube though unless you can find a bigger spring

Fishmouthing. I tried a decent make of holesaw (same diameter as the tube) in a decent pillar drill held in a decent vice and it worked fine. You need to make sure the pilot drill of the holesaw is dead centre, though

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Rorty

posted on 2/11/02 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
Wayner,
I can't help you with a supplier of benders in the UK, but I can perhaps give you a few pointers in regard to bending and cutting fishmouths: www.rortydesign.com/tube_work.html

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Bird

posted on 2/11/02 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Is it that the former needs to be a much tighter fit than the machine mart bender?
I imagine they are designed for hydraulic pipe, airline, black iron gas pipe ect...

Am I correct in thinking if the former fitted exactley then the pipe would have no room to kink.

Just asking as I making a pipe bender for the 19mm on the chassis.

Alan B

posted on 2/11/02 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bird
Am I correct in thinking if the former fitted exactley then the pipe would have no room to kink.

Just asking as I making a pipe bender for the 19mm on the chassis.

Sadly..no.
It needs to be FULLY supported to avoid the kinks.

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/11/02 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I used a standard plummers pipe bender (Record) for the rear panel supports, I worked perfectly, I recon Ron must have used one too because the radius is exactly 3"
Steve Bird

posted on 3/11/02 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I thought plumbers pipe benders would have sizes for copper pipe which use 15mm & 22mm.
Perhaps the electricians use 19mm for conduit?

The big problem is the roll cage though.

wayner

posted on 4/11/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the "tube" bending part needs to rotate around the radius of the bend rather than pushing and hoping the pipe will form into the former as per the pipe bender. Unfortunately the average plumbers benders just ain't goner be man enough for this type of " tube"

Rortys site explains it well.

garethpowys

posted on 4/11/02 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wayner
Unfortunately the average plumbers benders just ain't goner be man enough for this type of " tube"

Rortys site explains it well.

Machinemart do a hydraulic pipe bender for about 100 quid. Will handle pipe up to 2" IIRC.

However I have seen heavy gauge pipe bent by more crude methods. First the pipe was filled with sand or molten lead. Then the ends of the pipe were capped to stop the filler coming out, eithe by threading the pipe and screwing on ends or by welding on a flat cap. Then the pipe was heated with a torch and bent around a former by a couple of big lads and brute force.

Gareth

Afro

posted on 2/6/03 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if many of you have tried putting in copper plumbing pipes in your house but imagine bending a piece of thin walled copper plumbing pipe round your knee... it simply kinks...

Well, a lot of hydraulic pipe benders work like having two fixed hands at the end of the tube and a knee in the middle which is moved out by hydraulics , giving no support to the tube other than on the inside of the bend.

Proper 'Tube Benders' on the other hand support the tube almost all of the way round it's circumference offering it no chance to kink.

You can pick up a useable hand or vice held pair reasonably cheaply but when you get up to 1" they can be quite hard to draw round the tube.

A manufacturer whose tube benders I use for bending all tube from 6mm to 1" stainless is Swagelok. Theirs have rollers at the entry and exit of the former making it easier to draw round the tube (mild steel should be really easy) and fully supporting it too.

A point to note is that using tube benders affects the material by putting compression on the inside and a lot of tension on the outside of the bend.

Mild steel can cope with this pretty well but if you are using more exotic alloys they may require heat treatment to relieve the stresses created.

Hope this helps

andyps

posted on 2/6/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Havign worked for a Swagelok distributor many years ago i would suspect their tube bender would be very expensive - all their product were, but they were of very good quality.

I have been wondering about bending the square section tubing to form a solid scuttle frame - any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Afro

posted on 3/6/03 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Pair of benders

You'd be right in that swagelok are expensive.

I got my sizes wrong anyhow, 3/4" and above was always done on a set of benders with changeable formers (cos they were what work could afford).

As for bending RHS I dunno, 50 x 30 channel was bent to a radius for a project I was doing a few years back and that was cheap as I remember so it may be worth looking into having sections formed and then weld them in...

Peteff

posted on 3/6/03 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this.

In the locost diy spirit. These lot are world champions at not spending money.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/pipe/index.html

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

macbrew

posted on 3/6/03 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent Pete,

Had a cr4p day so I needed a good laugh.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.