Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front uprights
charlie

posted on 15/11/02 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Front uprights

What uprights would you advise using for a sierra based locost (IRS)?
I was going to use the sierra ones but I believe I would need to get them machined so that the bottom balljoint fits (Cortina balljoint). So heres my questions.

Is there another balljoint that fits straight in?

Would it be better to fit the cortina uprights as per the book? I've heard that caliper seals are hard to come by if I need to service them and I'm not sure if my sierra wheels would fit.

I'd be gratefull for any advice on what other people have done since I'm hoping to have a rolling chassis done before christmas.

charlie

P.S hopfully I will soon be able to give some advice!!

interestedparty

posted on 15/11/02 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charlie
Is there another balljoint that fits straight in?

This is well-trodden ground on this site. The consensus is, no, there is no bolt on ball joint that fits as is, best alternative is to drill the sierra upright for a Maxi balljoint ( this is what MK do)

If you have a sierra donor then this has got to be the way to go.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

charlie

posted on 15/11/02 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks,
I take it MK will do this for me? I'd have to order one of their upright inserts anyway

Mr G

posted on 17/11/02 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
As Sierra Mk1 and Mk2 uprights are different in the way the balljoint is secured then i advise the procurement of mk1 uprights as i take it the mk2 are of the pinch bolt variety.

We have used this on my mates sierra but if you ask me the 'BOOK top wishbones now have to be shortened as they throw the sierra hub to far out at the top. I see lolocost have taken this into account on thier IRS chassis.

Cheers G

[Edited on 11/17/02 by Mr G]

Duncan

posted on 20/11/02 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mr G, how much shorter do the top wishbones have to be when using Sierra uprights?
Mr G

posted on 21/11/02 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thats what we need to work out! His kit is currently sat in storage as he's having a new garage built - So i cant give you any measurements.

Put it this was even with the top ball joint fully wound 'in' your looking at positive camber. The balljoint is your standard transit item... If they do ones with more thread and less casting near the joint then theoretically you could cut them down and screw them in more to try and solve the top beng thrown out. The suspension brackets can't be moved either as they have chassis members behind them and theres not enough room to re-drill the holes and move them back.

At the Exeter show i did ask the gentleman on the lolocost 'Caravan' if there was a difference in cortina and sierra uprights for the top joint connection (after using a stub converter)and he said yes but didnt seem to want to say too much....

G

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 27/11/02 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
If you use sierra 4x4 hubs, they have pinch bolt type bottom ball joints. Mondeo ball joints fit and can be bought separate and mount by three 8mm holes. Bigger brakes too!!
Mr G

posted on 27/11/02 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
My Haynes sierra manual (906
all V6 models including 4wd) states that xr4x4 front discs are 240mm diameter compared to 260 for the 2wd xr4i.

Cosworth gear on the other hand is a different matter.

Cheers

G

James

posted on 28/11/02 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan
Mr G, how much shorter do the top wishbones have to be when using Sierra uprights?

Dunc has a picture (with dimensions) of a Sierra hub in his photo archive. Perhaps he could mail it to you?

Having looked at them myself I'd quess the difference (between Sierra/Cortina upright) is about 1.5". But I haven't measured them to be sure.

HTH,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.