Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heatshield stuff
bigandy

posted on 11/4/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Heatshield stuff

Afternoon all,

I'm just looking round for some heatshield type stuff to stick on the underside of my (fibreglass) engine cover. The stuff from places like Demon Theives and rally design seems extortionately priced for what seems to be ally foil with a fibreglass mat backing.

Does anyone know of any cheap suppliers of the flexible heatsheild stuff? Or perhaps an alternative?

I'm mainly concerned about the proximity of the exhaust pipe to the fibreglass body work.

Cheers
Andy

[Edited on 11/4/05 by bigandy]

Dammit! Too many decisions....

NS Dev

posted on 11/4/05 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
dunno, I had to pay for the extortionate stuff, but now you have made me think................what about exactly what you just said!

Fibreglass matting (£2.78 per sq M for heavy woven stuff from CFS online) with ally foil stuck to it using a high temp adhesive.

bigandy

posted on 11/4/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone confirm that the makeup of this extortionately priced stuff is just heavy woven glass cloth stuck to some ally foil?

I've just been thinking about the suitability of laminating glass fibre for a heat resistant layer, and I can't see why it wouldn't work. the only fly in the ointment might be any form of coating used on the glass matting. If that is a problem, then i suppose i could always utilise a few fire blankets?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

NS Dev

posted on 11/4/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
Can anyone confirm that the makeup of this extortionately priced stuff is just heavy woven glass cloth stuck to some ally foil?

I've just been thinking about the suitability of laminating glass fibre for a heat resistant layer, and I can't see why it wouldn't work. the only fly in the ointment might be any form of coating used on the glass matting. If that is a problem, then i suppose i could always utilise a few fire blankets?

Cheers
Andy

I really don't know I'm afraid. Certainly the stuff I have just seems to be glassfibre matting, made up of "strings" of glassfibre woven into a mat. This can be bought from CFS. The stuff which looks different to me is the foil. This appears to be more ductile than normal foil. I also don't know what glue would stick them together without making it too hard and withstand the temps.

clbarclay

posted on 11/4/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
It was more for noise reduction than heat sheilding, but an option offered aftermarket for range rovers etc. was a lead (i think) woven blanket, that sat ontop of the engine.

Not sure if engine blankets are still avalible or avalible in suitable sizes for locosts etc.

NS Dev

posted on 11/4/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Though having done a quick search, this might do the glueing bit! look for the "thermic seal" stuff.

hot glue!!

mattpilmoor

posted on 11/4/05 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
We use some stuff at work that's like a quilt for protecting components from the heat produced by jet engines. The company's called microtherm. They're based up in Liverpool. Not too expensive and good quality. No connection.

[Edited on 11/4/05 by mattpilmoor]

Measure twice - Cut once - Still f*!K it up!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.