Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Really big problem, this time no solution
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/2/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Really big problem, this time no solution

I live in a rented cottage, I am building the car in a barn adjacent to it. My landlord has been given a prohibition order relating to the use of the barn as it has no planning permission.

I now have to get out of the barn and consequently have nowhere to build, or store my tools etc. I cannot see any way I can continue the build for the forseeable future.

It is a real shame, I was so pleased with the progress, and all the modifications I have made have really gone well, I can honestly say there is no part of the car that I am not happy with.

I am totally gutted. When doing the car, I could always find a way around a problem, but I cannot see any way around this, again totally gutted

Mark

Jon Ison

posted on 8/2/03 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
power to your elbow, where theres a will there's a way, summat will come up

good luck.....Jon.

theconrodkid

posted on 8/2/03 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
summer is coming get a big tarpaulin to cover the car and hide yr tools inside somewhere

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/2/03 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
After getting over feeilng sorry for myself with the aid of a bottle of wine and a straw, I think the alfresco approach is the only way to go, It is going to complicate things a bit, but I'll be damned if this is going to end up as an unfinished project, I am just too pleased with it.

Argos do a decent looking car cover for £20, which will let the car breath and may slow down the rust aspect before I get it properly painted (it is protected with Zinc182 at the moment)

Any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved

Thanks for the support

Mark

paulf

posted on 8/2/03 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
How about getting one of those gazebos that have removable sides, or making a shelter with some fence panels.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
After getting over feeilng sorry for myself with the aid of a bottle of wine and a straw, I think the alfresco approach is the only way to go, It is going to complicate things a bit, but I'll be damned if this is going to end up as an unfinished project, I am just too pleased with it.

Argos do a decent looking car cover for £20, which will let the car breath and may slow down the rust aspect before I get it properly painted (it is protected with Zinc182 at the moment)

Any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved

Thanks for the support

Mark

Metal Hippy™

posted on 8/2/03 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a serious bastard.

You'll get something sorted though, I'm sure.

Stick at it....

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/2/03 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just opened the second bottle!, never done that, after finishing one, too p*ssed to find another!

Everyones support is great, tarpaulines, gasebo's etc, I can see me finishing the car and hiring a sodding great crane to get the bugger out afterwards (there is no car access behind the cottage, so it will either have to come out through the front door in bits or over the top with a crane - should amuse the neigbours!)

Anyone want to slander the Penwith District Council, find the website and go for it!!!!!

robinbastd

posted on 9/2/03 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear your news Mark. If I can be of any help,give me a shout. I'm about to re-roof my workshop,and I haven't really made a start on my project yet,so there is space.
Regards,
Ian

Dick Axtell

posted on 9/2/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Have just seen your message!! That's a real b**t**d blow!
1: Have you checked out the availability & market for rented lock-ups in your area??
2: Alternatively, whose land would you have to cross, when moving the completed car?
3: Could you reach a suitable agreement with them?

Best of luck; hope you can work out a solution. Try sharing some of your wine with those neighbours whose land you'll be trashing - sorry, traversing - with the finished car.

johnston

posted on 9/2/03 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
if your payin rent for both get the landlord to build a lean too type thing next to the house if it has no fondations and cant be classed as a permenant structure or can be classed as a farm building it can be any size you want and council cant do anything

guy bout 5mile away from me got turned down for his workshop so he devised away it could be lifted on jacks and so not permenant and council cant touch him and this is a big workshop

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/2/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
A big thanks to everyone who has replied, I was feeling really low last night and you have all really cheered me up. I am looking at the positives today and sod the negatives.

I am going to build under tarpaulines, going to store stuff in the donor hulk, I haven't used any of the suspension so it is still moble and more importantly secure and water tight.

I am going to build in a module fasion, finish the rear axle completely (everything like handbrake, brakelines etc) then remove and store it. Once I have done everything I am sure I can persuade the lads at work to do a reassembly job at work over a weekend - it will be the fastest chassis build up ever, three time served mechanics, five skilled bodyworkers assembling all the pre sorted sections. I had better make sure I have got everything right first time!!

I had planned to paint the car at work anyway after prepping at home, the paint company we deal with are currently being primed to donate a couple of litres of polychromatic paint.

I am sure you will all be updated ad nausium WATCH THIS SPACE!!!

Again thanks to everyone

Mark

auzziejim

posted on 9/2/03 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
LOL i like it! paint company-primed

seriously though sorry to hear about your problem mark im sure you will be able to make the module system work!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/2/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Dunc - he that does not post much now - bought a gazebo thingy with sides and it worked well for him. just gotta watch the wind and cold.

you could build at least 6 months of the year in it tho......

does anyone bother to check prohibition orders after a month or so............

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/2/03 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis is under an argos car cover in the back yard (on the jig table), with the engine underneath. Steering rack, rear suspension arms, panhard rod, roll bar are all under the bed, rear axle is on the kitchen table getting its final paint. (soon to go under the bed)

The modular thing does seem to work!!!

PS, The argos car cover at £19.99 is relly good - padded and water proof, elasticated ends, looks ideal to keep in the car for covering when camping etc

{8 identical versions of this post appeared, see post below}

[Edited on 16/2/03 by Mark Allanson] Rescued attachment DCP_0541sml.jpg
Rescued attachment DCP_0541sml.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/2/03 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
BLOODY HELL!!!!!

Freeserve cut out when I was posting the above, I put it back online and look, can I be accused of repeating myself?

Metal Hippy™

posted on 16/2/03 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not go into edit post and select delete for the extra ones?

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/2/03 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Hippy, makes me look less stupid than I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Metal Hippy™

posted on 16/2/03 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't possibly comment...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.