Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fine Question
Mansfield

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fine Question

I need to MOT my XJ600S Diversion. It is a tidy bike, but has been off the road for a while. MOTing it will add pounds to the value, maybe as much as £100 net.

The bike is currently SORN and I have no insurance. The MOT station is 2 miles away, and on a busy main road with several sets of traffic lights.

What would be the fine if I was 'caught by the fuzz' for no insurance?

I need the bike gone for locost space, and I need the max cash for locost building money.

While we are on the subject, any one fancy a tidy XJ600S with or without MOT?

Thanks, David.

RichieC

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
On the other side of the coin, could you ever live with yourself having had an accident and hurt/killed anyone on an un-insured bike?

2 miles or not, I wouldnt risk it. How many times have you seen bikers knocked off through no fault of their own. If you are caught up in such an incident and are asked to produce your documents you are suddenly in very deep water.

As far as fines and points go, as a starter:
No MOT - Up to £1000 fixed penalty
No Tax - Up to £1000 fixed penalty
No Insurance - 6-8 points, up to £5000 and possible disqualification.

For me its nowhere near worth it but Id be more concerned about hitting anyone un insured

big_wasa

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
As I get older I get more law abiding but it didnt used to bother me

Ring your insuarance and get 1 days cover, book it in for the mot and then I think your covered.

steve_gus

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
as has been said, you would likely get enough points for an instant ban.

why not get it transported by a local company - im guessing it would cost less than 80 quid - which is way less than a ban and several 100s of pounds fine

or..... do what I did when i picked up my bike from 160 miles away - hire a van for a day - about 45 quid or so

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Better still, get a mate with a van to run it down the road. As Richie said, don't even think about riding it down there - if anything happens you will regret it for a long time.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I got caught by the fuzz once.......

bloody hurt!!

(sorry, someone had to!!)

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Mansfield

posted on 3/2/06 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I am hearing you. I wont risk it. 10 years ago I wouldn't even have asked.....

Thanks for the advice, David.

stevebubs

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
You can normally hire transits for a couple of hours for very little money...

Do you know anyone with a bike trailer?

blockhead_rich

posted on 4/2/06 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
My sister's fiance got killed 1 mile from their house on a bike that he'd fixed the night before, no tax, mot or insurance. It's scarred my sister's life ever since. Enough said I think.
Rich

02GF74

posted on 4/2/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
you could push it theere on the pavement - no law against that but you need tax and insurance to be on the road.... may get interetiing if you need to cross roads!!
jimmyjoebob

posted on 4/2/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
A friend with comprehensive insurance could ride it with your consent to a prearranged test legally. SORN declaration allows for this.
dblissett

posted on 4/2/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
mot

cant you ask the testing station if they will pick it up from you as most of them have some form of transporting bikes that have been droped and need repairing.
i cant see that being more than £30.
and well worth it

RichieC

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjoebob
A friend with comprehensive insurance could ride it with your consent to a prearranged test legally. SORN declaration allows for this.

Only if there was a policy on the bike in the first place. Its only some Fully Comp policies which afford you Third Party cover and that is subject to the vehicle having a policy on it anyway otherwise youd only ever need to insure one vehicle and drive as many as you liked.

kev R1

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
you can't push it even, road laws and regulations are in force from boundary to boundary!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.