Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hands Free or Sat Nav (Tom Tom?)
John P

posted on 3/8/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hands Free or Sat Nav (Tom Tom?)

I wanted to get a true hands free kit for my car (the company will probably pay for this) since I hate earpieces etc.

However I noticed that some Sat Nav systems include a blue tooth link so they also act as a hands-free kit and don't cost that much more.

I now understand that I could upgrade my existing mobile to one with a GPS capeability and then go for a normal hands free kit.

Not sure which would be the cheapest or best. At present will probably go for a Tom Tom unit as sold by Halfords but is this the best solution and is Halfords the best source.

Any advice would be appreciated since I'm just getting more confused.

rayward

posted on 3/8/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
HI,

i have a nokia 6680 with TomTom and GPS unit for sale if your interested??.

Ray

pdw709

posted on 3/8/06 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Don't go to Halfords!

I've just bought a TomTom1. Halfords charge £259 but you can get it substantially cheaper. Amazon only charge £214 with free P&P and i've seen it as low as £205. I actually only paid £195 but I bought 2 at the same time and therefore got a £40 discount (one was for my fathers birthday present).

Do a search online, you will not be dissapinted.

Phil

Scotty

posted on 3/8/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
word of warning !!!
dont leave the cradle stuck to the windscreen when leaving the car anywhere, toerags are breaking into cars on the assumption that you have stuck it in the glove box, happened to a couple of mates recently

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

gingerprince

posted on 3/8/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
word of warning !!!
dont leave the cradle stuck to the windscreen when leaving the car anywhere, toerags are breaking into cars on the assumption that you have stuck it in the glove box, happened to a couple of mates recently

In fact they're even doing this if you just have the "tell tail" ring mark on your screen that means you own one - on the off chance you left it in the glove box. Probably worth leaving glovebox open to show the scummers there's nothing worth nicking.

DEAN C.

posted on 4/8/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Comet and PC world are selling the Tom Tom one at £219,thats all I paid for mine 2 months ago.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Jasper

posted on 4/8/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Nokia N70 - then get TomTom free off the web.

No telltale rings on the windscreen as you can just use a regualr mobile cradle with built in hands free if you want.

caber

posted on 5/8/06 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have tom tom running on a Treo650 with a wired GPS and use bluetooth for hands free it tok a while to get all the connectors sorted but it is dead good now!

Caber

Stuart Ainslie

posted on 6/8/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a TomTom 510 that my employer got for me - God knows why as I dio very little driving for work and commute by train!

Said TomTom does come with the Bluetooth link and does work well as a hands free with my S-E W900i phone. Texts etc get displayed on the TomTom screen along with the phone book.
No need to actually touch the phone at all.

Alright for nothing!

andkilde

posted on 7/8/06 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'd skip the suction cup entirely and go for a proper mounting bracket -- my GPS unit came crashing down on me a few times. I picked up a Ram bracket from a fellow on ebay who goes by "laptopmounts" and a permanent antenna -- mounted the unit into one of the cupholder holes.

Not an "invisible" installation but the unit is much more usable.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.