Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: !800 zetec into book chassis.
paulf

posted on 8/8/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
!800 zetec into book chassis.

I know this has been discussed many times before but cant find enough info to make a decision.
I have just obtained an 1800 zetec with the intention of fitting it in place of the crossflow in my car but dont think it will fit.
I have measured up and the total height of the engine is 23.5 inches and my car is only 24.5 inches from the nose cone to ground.I know i can chop an inch or so of the sump and could raise the chassis height from 4.5 inches to 5 inches but would still only have about 2 inches of road clearance.
It seems that my nose cone may be to low as its a caterham copy and is only 8 inches at the highest point.I also think the engine may be to far forward as the cam belt cover is an inch or so into the nose cone position, it seems my only answer is to either get a taller nose cone or some how put a bulge in nose cone and bonnet, but i dont fancy either as i like the lines of the car as it is rather than the taller option.
Im sure people have put them into Stuart Taylors which tend to have low line body work also, has anyone any experience succesfull or otherwise of this swap?.
If I cant sort it i will have to go back to my original plan of fitting a blade engine as I definitely need more power, but this causes other complications for me with having to sort the dash etc and makes my megasquirt set up redundant.
Paul.

[Edited on 8/8/06 by paulf]

MikeR

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
why is the engine so far forward?

They are a tight fit in traditional body work (i've looked at it for a future upgrade). Most people fit bodywork with an extra inch in it + shortened sump.

Another trick is a bonnet scoop or even have the cam cover visible sticking out.

good luck and keep me posted.

(ps they do fit in caterhams, i used to know a bloke who converted his from xflow using lots of james dunnel (?) bits.)

Gunner1

posted on 9/8/06 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 2 litre Zetec with a standard sump. The sum sits 4 inches from the ground and with it mounted as far back in the chassis as possible.
While the chassis is designed for a standard nose, it is 2 inches higher, longer and wider. The base of the nose (a cmc one from the states) sits on top of the lower frame rail, In any case, the cam just clears the hood..barely.

how about mounting your standard nose on top of the lower frame rail and raising your frame rail two inches along the sides, sloping back to standard height at the back of what would be the door opening......

Danozeman

posted on 9/8/06 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
Iv got a 1.8 zetec in my locost chassis. Its a Luego locost chassis but its the same as the book.

Iv had to fit the velocity bodywork which is taller that standard think by about 2 inches. Youl get a type 9 in there with the engine sitting far enough back.

Theres some piccies in my archive.

[Edited on 9/8/06 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

roadboy

posted on 9/8/06 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Removing the plastic pulley cover will give you an extra 1/2''
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi PaulF

have a look here.

I had a similar problem to you although my engine sat a long way back in the chassis - here

Regards

Wyn

procomp

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi the car in my avatar left has a smaller engine bay than the book . But has 35mm taller bodywork than the ST and also has a flat bottom sealed chassis ie the engine is level with the base of the chassis with a 6" sump and all fits under the body except for the twin 40s out the side but they have long trumpets on and a large air cleaner. The problem with your engine being to far foward is probably that the tunnel is quite narrow as the book.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
i can guess the answer but .........

who's body work?

(the guess being your own)

procomp

posted on 9/8/06 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi you dont need a second guess.

cheers matt

Surrey Dave

posted on 9/8/06 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2.0 Zetec to put in my book car, its tight ,but I think it can just be done, may have to change the nosecone for a taller (MK?) one.

But to get it in I will make my own sump from an 1800 cvh steel one, because the Scholar alloy ones are still too deep 6", mine will only be as deep as the bellhousing at the back tapering up at the front so I can hang the engine low at the front.

[Edited on 9/8/06 by Surrey Dave]

motorcrossrider

posted on 9/8/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to darren at GTS Tuning who was very helpful and is supplying me with bodywork to fit. As i am also fitting a 1800 zetec.
MikeR

posted on 9/8/06 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ah....... great, can you measure the nose and scuttle height.

I've asked this question lots of times and people don't seem keen to let you know. Matt (procomp) is the only one who's come out and said "ours is this". If only procomp did a bonnet and rear panel (hmmm, do you think thats subtle enough? )

motorcrossrider

posted on 9/8/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would measure it but iv not recieved it as of yet. Try calling GTS Tuning they have been very helpful towards me and im sure at some point darren told me the dimensions. However i have a brain like a siv
paulf

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox has about 1 inch of clearance between the bell housing and tunnel front face at the lump behind the clutch release lever housing and slightly more behind the starter motor bulge. I built the car with the intention of fitting a bike engine so didnt worry to much about where the gearbox fitted and also tried to maximise the foot well space on the drivers side.
I could maybe chop out the tunnel front and modify it but dont really fancy the work involved. I was planning on building another car to fit the bike engine but may just put it in this one if I cant resolve the space issue. I suppose i could even fit the megasquirt to the blade engine as well if i got a set of blade throttle bodys.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
why is the engine so far forward?

paulf

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
How much higher ids the MK one ? do they do one to fit the book chassis?
The scholar sump is 160mm deep as far as i can find out and my standard sump is 170 deep so not worth fitting but I intended to cut down the original sump as short as possible and fit an oil cooler to regain some oil capacity.
If i drop the front of the engine a bit I am concerned that it will affect the alignment of the prop shaft UJs adversely, I cant lower the gearbox much as its already quite low in the chassis.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
may have to change the nosecone for a taller (MK?) one.

But to get it in I will make my own sump from an 1800 cvh steel one, because the Scholar alloy ones are still too deep 6", mine will only be as deep as the bellhousing at the back tapering up at the front so I can hang the engine low at the front.

[Edited on 9/8/06 by Surrey Dave]

paulf

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Wyn .
I remembered that thread but couldnt find it my car looks much like yours in the photo , how did you end up in the end with it? .Did you use a robinhood nose cone?
The pics were usefull but do you have any of the finished installation.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Hi PaulF

have a look here.

I had a similar problem to you although my engine sat a long way back in the chassis - here

Regards

Wyn

procomp

posted on 10/8/06 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike R u2u sent regarding bodywork .

sorry for the hijack

cheers matt

lsdweb

posted on 10/8/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul

The only photos I can find arehere and here

I'll have a dig around for some more but, as the car went last year I can't take any more!

The nose came from Lolocost (Robin Hood) - here

It wasn't the best quality but it was good enough for me. It took some fiddling to fit and needed angling downwards at the front to get it to look right!

Regards

Wyn

Surrey Dave

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Caterham nosecone , I believe the MK is 1" higher at the back edge and fits the book chassis outline.

I would only angle the engine slightly ,probably no more than 1"

[Edited on 10/8/06 by Surrey Dave]

scotty g

posted on 10/8/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, i will be going up to the GTS workshop tomorrow (friday) so i will measure the heights of the nose and scuttle for you.
Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.