Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Depressing but very poigniant
Jasper

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Depressing but very poigniant

I was sent this recently, don't know if it's been on here before, but it's always good to be reminded. Rescued attachment image0011.jpg
Rescued attachment image0011.jpg

Jasper

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
And the photographer left this in his diary:

Dear God, I promise I will never waste my food no matter
>>how bad it can taste and how full I may be. I pray that He will
>>protect this little boy, guide and deliver him away from his
>>misery. I pray that we will be more sensitive towards the world
>>around us and not be blinded by our own selfish nature and
>>interests.
>> I hope this picture will always serve as a reminder to us
>>that how fortunate we are and that we must never ever take things
>>for granted.
>>
>> Please don't break.. keep on forwarding to our friends On
>>this good day.. Let's make a prayer for the suffering in anywhere
>>any place around the globe and send this friendly reminder to
>>others; think & look at this...when you complain about your food
>>and the food we waste daily.........

nick205

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
It certainly put's some perspective back into your own life doesn't it
ceebmoj

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I know that if this guy was to help this chilled where do you stop. But to be able to walk away with out helping in some way. Yes I don’t know the circumstance but I would hope I could do something.

James

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

"He later confided to friends that he wished he had intervened and helped the child. Journalists at the time were warned never to touch famine victims for fear of disease."

[Edited on 20/10/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
The picture is his work.... but I'm more than a little dubious about the 'diary' entry.

For a start is was a girl!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

UncleFista

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
If it's true that he did nothing to help, then the one with feathers wasn't the only vulture there...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

ceebmoj

posted on 20/10/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
You might be told that there is danger to you but there are times in your life when you need to have good deep look and see who you are. I am sure that we have all be at a point in our lives when we have been afraid to act but with any luck most have and to quote.

"The man adjusting his lens to take just the right frame of her suffering might just as well be a predator, another vulture on the scene."

Yes there is a need to imuminate many of the things that happen in the world however there is also a need to act upon the images we see.

Jasper

posted on 20/10/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
The picture is his work.... but I'm more than a little dubious about the 'diary' entry.

For a start is was a girl!

Cheers,
James

Think you're right there mate - doesn't seem to fit if you know what I mean.

StevieB

posted on 20/10/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
It's not always that clean cut in the world and I've known a lot of mates go a bit wayward in dealing with the consequences.

Whilst serving in places like Iraq, Afghanistan and parts of Africa, you are often faced with extreme poverty and starvation.

To give a child a ration pack and some clean water might just get them through another day or two. It will also mean that the local 'defenders of the faith' will be round to torture anf kill them as traitors to the cause for accepting food from the invaders.

Pushing all political argument to the side - how does a man deal with that choice (and sometimes that man is an 18 year old marine fresh out of the wrapper).

This is a bad world filled with unimaginable evil, and we have no idea of how lucky we are to have the most basic of priveleges in this country.

owelly

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
...or perhaps the child is just waiting for the vulture to get close enough so it can grab it?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
That was not needed owelly.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies if my post offended anyone but is was my hamfisted attempt to point out that there are many sides to a story and even more sides to a picture. I have seen that exact picture apart from the vulture was a soldier. So which is the real one? And if the picture is tugging at people heartstrings, put your hands in your pockets and help out. Just make sure the charity you support doesn't send the money to foreign governments who spend the money on wars and weapons.
Political broadcast over....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

spunky

posted on 22/10/06 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
...or perhaps the child is just waiting for the vulture to get close enough so it can grab it?

Actually i'll defend that comment. having looked at the pic, (which i've seen several times before) and read the postings. Sure its tragic and depressing. But we live in a shitty world.
I'm certain I wasn't the only person that laughed at owelly's quip. trench humour, thats what we do, and long may it continue.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.