Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: more 3-D than real life
02GF74

posted on 20/11/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
more 3-D than real life

ooooh, just discovered an interesting effect.

If you let your eyes unfocus onto a pc keyboard, head about 1 ft away at 30 degrees, you can get the stereogram effect .... the keys seem to be more 3-D than in real life!

Has something to do with a repeating sequence of images that build up a picture that the brain interprets as 3-D.

here is exmaple of a stereogram below: (it needs to be in a fixed spacing font, e.g courier; not sure if the tags are working in this post)

[font=Courier New][IRRJ`BHCVWM[RJ`B`BHCVWM[RJ`B`BHCVWM[RJ`B`BHCVWM[RJ`B`BHCVWM[RJ`B`BHCVWM[RJ`B`BH
YP]W[VQ^^TTQYP]W[VQ^^TTQYP]W[VQ^TTQYP]W[VQ^TTQYP]W[VQ^TTQYP]W[VQ^TTTQYP]W[VQ^TTT
YOR\I``[BRC`YOR\I``[BRC`YOR\I``[RC`YOR\I``[RC`YOR\I``[RC`YOR\I``[RCC`YOR\I``[RCC
YH^HGLOVKCLDYH^HGLOVKCLDYH^HGLOVCLDY^HGLOVCLDY^HGLOVCLDY^HGLOVVCLDYY^HGLOVVCLDYY
[DGHULX]_FJH[DGHULX]_FJH[DGHULX]FJH[GHULX]FJH[GHULX]FJH[GHULX]]FJH[[GHULX]]FJH[[
BSWWCJ][J_CWBSWWCJ][J_CWBSWWCJ][_CWBWWCJ][_CWBWWCJ][_CWBWWCJ][[_CWBBWWCJ][[_CWBB
RUOV]`UNQI^JRUOV]`UNQI^JRUOV]`UNI^JROV]`UI^JROV]`UI^JROVV]`UI^^JROVVV]`UI^^JROVV
T`GMJUDTWGNST`GMJUDTWGNST`GMJUDTGNSTGMJUDGNSTGMJUDGNSTGMMJUDGNNSTGMMMJUDGNNSTGMM
NZBAT^TK[XU`NZBAT^TK[XU`NZBAT^TKXU`NBAT^TXU`NBAT^TXU`NBAAT^TXUU`NBAAAT^TXUU`NBAA
DM`FAB`B][YMDM`FAB`B][YMDM`FAB`B[YMD`FAB`[YMD`FAB`[YMD`FFAB`[YYMD`FFFAB`[YYMD`FF
`J^OXD\NSUE``J^OXD\NSUE``J^OXD\NUE``^OXD\UE``^OXD\UE``^OOXD\UEE``^OOOXD\UEE``^OO
LPXM^RRVY`PHLPXM^RRVY`PHLPXM^RRV`PHLXM^RR`PHLXM^RR`PHLXMM^RR`PPHLXMMM^RR`PPHLXMM
QVLNI\MGE\YAQVLNI\MGE\YAQVLNI\MG\YAQLNI\M\YAQLNI\M\YAQLNNI\M\YYAQLNNNI\M\YYAQLNN
Q]UIU]CFCRDKQ]UIU]CFCRDKQ]UIU]CFRDKQUIU]CFRDKQUIU]CFRDKQUIU]CFFRDKQQUIU]CFFRDKQQ
FSXWTP`CVZHLFSXWTP`CVZHLFSXWTP`CZHLFXWTP`CZHLFXWTP`CZHLFXWTP`CCZHLFFXWTP`CCZHLFF
`]FHQJWVCPVY`]FHQJWVCPVY`]FHQJWVPVY`FHQJWVPVY`FHQJWVPVY`FHQJWVVPVY``FHQJWVVPVY``
POHH_`N\TVLQPOHH_`N\TVLQPOHH_`N\VLQPOHH_`N\VLQPOHH_`N\VLQPOHH_`N\VLLQPOHH_`N\VLL
\_YL_STXBXME\_YL_STXBXME\_YL_STXXME\_YL_STXXME\_YL_STXXME\_YL_STXXMME\_YL_STXXMM[/font]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/11/06 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
cool, it reminds me of the credits for the matrix films you know the green on black streaming writing

the keyboard one is cool too

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

nick205

posted on 20/11/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a toot on that after you mate
BenB

posted on 20/11/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Has someone been using contact adhesive without proper ventilation again??!?!?

Never could do those stereogram things. Only time I came near I was so wasted I think I was actually hallucinating!!

scotty g

posted on 20/11/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I can't even do those magic eye picture things, all my mates are saying "oooooh look its a dolphin" or something and i'm thinking bo11ocks its just a load of squiggles, crap!
DIY Si

posted on 20/11/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Same here, never once been able to see anything at all. Just a load of squiggles and funny shapes. Doesn't help that I'm half way blind!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

worX

posted on 20/11/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Load of squiggles

There was a big crowd around a window of a shop in Chester once, ooh's and aaarh's emenating from the crowd - couldn't see a damn thing!!!!

Steve.

Liam

posted on 20/11/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Wow that's cool!! You can do it to different levels too. I had my eyes three patterns (keys) apart - i.e. one eye looking at G and one at K, with the brain merging the images. Makes the keys look very big and further away!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 20/11/06 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
HERE is one I made myself.

Cross your eyes so that both images are aligned.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 20/11/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
YES! That definately hurts your eyes.
My keyboard is 3D anyway, 'cos I can't afford a new flat one.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

t.j.

posted on 20/11/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Get me a medic!

My eyes are pointing in wards!

AAuch!!

Fozzie

posted on 20/11/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
HERE is one I made myself.

Cross your eyes so that both images are aligned.

That is sooooo cool!
How on earth do you go about making that?

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

thunderace

posted on 20/11/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I LIKE THIS Rescued attachment drunk1.jpg
Rescued attachment drunk1.jpg

whitestu

posted on 20/11/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea what you are talking about
Fozzie

posted on 20/11/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Click on Lees (RoadKill) 'HERE' link, you will see 2 pictures side by side, focus your eyes on the line where they meet side by side (middle) relax your eyes, and a picture will merge in the centre of the 'pictures' of the room in 3D........

HTH Fozzie

I have no idea what Thunderace's picture is all about, can't see a 3D image there myself!

Liam

posted on 20/11/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
How the hell do you do roadkills?! the images are way too far apart for one of my eyes to look at one and the other eye to look at the other. The distance (on my 19" monitor) is greater than the separation of my eyes and they can't seem to cope with that (like focusing beyond infinite?!)

Liam

[Edited on 20/11/06 by Liam]

Fozzie

posted on 20/11/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Liam, focus on the join in the middle, ie where the 2 pictures meet, relax your eyes so everything is out of focus, then slowly bring your eyes back into focus (without blinking), and a third picture will appear in the centre of the room in 3D.........

Fozzie

Haven't touched a drop...honest......

Liam

posted on 20/11/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm yeah i know the theory and can always do the normal ones of these, but on this one the spacing of the repeat is just too far apart for my eyes to move so that my left is looking at the left pic and my right is looking at the right pic!

Almost had it then!! if i reduce the pics to about 75% in photoshop i'll have it!!

Liam

zetec7

posted on 21/11/06 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
RoadkillUK - what spacing did you use to get that much 3D effect? I've tried that before, without much success at all...

And, for those still having trouble seeing the 3D effect, sit back about 3' from your monitor, hold your finger up 7-8" in front of your face (with the monitor's photos in the background), and focus on your finger. Suddenly the photos in the background will seem to overlap exactly - take your finger away while concentrating on the photos, and there it is! Crystal clear, amazing 3D. (I used to do stereo air photo interpretation for the government here, so I'm used to it).

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

Fozzie

posted on 21/11/06 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec7
RoadkillUK - what spacing did you use to get that much 3D effect? I've tried that before, without much success at all...

And, for those still having trouble seeing the 3D effect, sit back about 3' from your monitor, hold your finger up 7-8" in front of your face (with the monitor's photos in the background), and focus on your finger. Suddenly the photos in the background will seem to overlap exactly - take your finger away while concentrating on the photos, and there it is! Crystal clear, amazing 3D. (I used to do stereo air photo interpretation for the government here, so I'm used to it).

Top Tip there .......!!!!!!
Certainly makes the whole process a lot quicker!

ATB Fozzie

02GF74

posted on 21/11/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
those stero images - invented by the Victorians; you can buy old postcards that fit into a holder and then stare at them./

the sterograms are different in that the two images are merged into one and by letting your eyes hang loose - usually they point slightly inwards you can get the 3 D effect.

The ascii that I posted needs to be displayed in a fixed font so it appears in a rectangle - if you look at it, you will see three squares of inscreasing size with the smallest on top all floating above each other - well worth the effort and not that hard to achieve.

Liam

posted on 21/11/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I can do Lee's fine if i make the pics smaller in photoshop! My eyes can't seem to move further apart than straight ahead which they need to, to do that stereogram as it displays on my monitor. Can your eyes move further apart than that then? Or is your display just smaller?

Liam

EDIT: Yay! Or if i just whack my res up to 1600x1200 they are small enough too!

[Edited on 21/11/06 by Liam]

t.j.

posted on 21/11/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
it is not working with my super-eyes either!!!!

probably i'm to stupid or......... to smart to see

RoadkillUK

posted on 21/11/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hehe, dunno about the distance, but I reckon that a little more than the distance between your eyes.

Was gonna do one of the car too but I don't have a camera any more and the car is never really in a photographic condition

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.