Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mookaloid

posted on 7/12/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a job for Mango

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Avoneer

posted on 7/12/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Have a drink. I think you need a bit of Dutch Courage.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 7/12/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Work with a guy from S.A. he may be able to help?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/12/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
nothing important,

just wanted to know the afrikaans for

"have a merry christamas and a happy new year"

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Ivan

posted on 7/12/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ek wens jou ("julle" is the plural of "jou" ) 'n gesseende Kersfees en 'n voorspoedige Nuwe Jaar.

This translates to - I wish you a blessed christmas and a prosperous new year and is the proper greetingin Afrikaans.

Otherwise - ek wens jou 'n vroulikke Kersfees en 'n glukkige nuwe Jaar - is the direct translation of your wish.

[Edited on 7/12/06 by Ivan]

Guinness

posted on 7/12/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ivan

Just seen you live near the Cape. Lucky man!

Spent a wonderful week staying at the Boulders Hotel a couple of years back.

Did the Cape Point, Table Mountain etc etc.

Spent three weeks in SA and thought Simons Town, Boulders was the nicest bit!

So nice in fact that my wife wants to buy Boulders Bay hotel!

Mike

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/12/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ivan, the misses works with someone from cape town

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/12/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
As he still lives there I will allow him to do the translation. I now speak fluent Scots and can translate Scrubber or Chav to something more easy on the ear like english.
My Taal is a bit rusty but I was able to use it in The Flemish parts of Belgum and in Holland where they laugh at baby dutch.......

Ons moet nou ry in motor!

Ivan

posted on 8/12/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Mike

Yea I live in paradise - penguins whales and some of the best drives in the world right on my doorstep. Who could ask for more.

There is currently a small (12 room) lodge for sale right on Fisherman's beach just to the left of the photo for about 1M pounds

The image is the view from my garage.
Description
Description

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/12/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Paradise with the sting in the tail

This is one bit of Africa I dont miss after two separate close calls where we had the firepower and the skill to use it .
Unfortunatly my wife was shot at point blank and lived cause the gun jammed!
Yes the warm climate is nice but the good days went a long time back.
My stepmother tells me of a farm attack a night ago in which the farmer and his wife nearly died from stabwounds.

The farm clearences are under way maybe not on the scale of Zim but they are happening. In the UK we wouldnt dream of killing a farmer for whatever but thats the third world. You can take the 3rd world man out of the bush but you will never take the bush out of them.
As it is they just land grabbed my Dads house in the Limpopo so buying into the SA lifestyle is a risk and one never faraway blinkers please

Cape Town hit by hijacking plague

Hijacking in Cape Town has increased by almost 50 percent in 12 months, bringing a Johannesburg-style taste of fear to the Mother City's streets.

And the latest statistics show that the hijacking, rape and murder of Port Elizabeth visitors near Cavendish Square in Claremont on Friday was not an isolated incident.

The situation is so bad nationally that insurance companies are rejecting gearlocks and standard vehicle immobilisers as security measures for the models at the top of hijackers' and car thieves' hit lists.

Industry sources said on Tuesday that the most frequently targeted vehicles in Cape Town were Toyota Hiaces, Hiluxes, Ventures and Stallions.

'It's not only expensive new vehicles that are getting hijacked'

Also near the top, the South Africa Insurance Association claims, are Volkswagen Citi Golfs, Ford Tracers, Mazda Midges and Isuzu bakkies.

Latest favourites include the Volkswagen Polo Playa and Polo Classic.

But the head of the Netstar satellite recovery system in Cape Town, Mike Demont, shattered the myth that drivers of older vehicles are safe.

"It's not only expensive new vehicles that are getting hijacked," he said. "The problem is much bigger than people realise.

"A lot of older cars are being hijacked for parts."

'A lot of people are hurt or shot because they put up resistance. Don't!'

It was from a 10-year-old Opel Monza that Port Elizabeth man, Derrick van Niekerk, was dragged and shot in the head by three attackers on Friday.

Demont said the increase in hijackings in the greater Cape Town area was confirmed by the latest police statistics.

Hijackings of cars and trucks increased by 49 percent between 2000 and 2001, bringing the total to 443.

Sources in the vehicle and insurance industry said drivers of bakkies - of any kind - were in the most danger.

More vehicles were being hijacked in outlying suburbs such as Durbanville as well.

But hijacking is still most rampant on the Cape Flats. Nyanga, Philippi and Brown's Farm have been branded the most violent danger zones.

Soaring hijack and car theft rates are forcing many insurance companies to insist on hi-tech security.

"Hijackers are not out to just randomly shoot people. A lot of people are hurt or shot because they put up resistance. Don't!" Demont warned.

Ivan

posted on 8/12/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
And yet I still think I live in paradise

And so do my German neighbours and the Swiss Major General up the road and the Brit summmer resident two houses away and many happy South Africans and and and

Oh yes - and the penguins!

t.j.

posted on 8/12/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
in Holland where they laugh at baby dutch.......

Ons moet nou ry in motor!

Like this sign says in Dutch!

"Kick the window out!"

[Edited on 8/12/06 by t.j.]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.