Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Fuel Tank
macnab

posted on 24/12/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
New Fuel Tank

Hi,

Pondering where I should post this topic so I stuck it here...

In true car person tradition I got a fuel tank for Christmas and of course ran off with it to the garage rather than have to wait to Christmas day...

Since I have a gutsy engine I got a 55 Litre tank and plonked it over the diff rather in the normal space. I thought I’d attach some pics in case someone else was thinking of getting a tank and let them see what this type is like. It’s quite heavy at 5kgs and appears to be 4mm thick throughout, actually meant for boats it seems a bit sturdier than you’d usually get for a car. And yes I know what you thinking ‘Scott you halfwit it doesn’t even fit!!’ but I was going to make a vac formed cover to fit over the top (probably out of that carbon look plastic sheet that was shown on here).

Hope this is some help to someone, oh yeah it’s a tek-tank tank…eh hmm!! Rescued attachment fuel tank.jpg
Rescued attachment fuel tank.jpg

stevebubs

posted on 24/12/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hehe...I've a 50litre tank in my Fury....

Gives a great range for trips - I can fill up in Uckfield and make it all the way to Le Mans without needing to stop for Fuel...

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/12/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Looks a bit overkill to me,55litres of fuel sloshing about over the rear axle,with the weight of the tank your looking at around 60kgs,not only that,but putting it above the diff is raising the cars centre of gravity,I hope at least its baffled
TangoMan

posted on 24/12/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote

Where you thinking of driving that you need so much fuel.

That's a lot of extra weight to pull around. It will affect the handling being right at the back of the car.

Still, I guess it is better than being like me worrying about running out while in France. I had to get off the Peage on the way back from LeMans as I was running low and wasn't sure when the next services was.

Summer's here!!!!

omega 24 v6

posted on 24/12/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well at least it's a seasonal colour.
IMHO it's too big, too high and as already said I hope it's baffled. if not at half full you'll have a huge weight*gforce trying to push the cars arse sideways. 30 litres at a half G would make it very lively if you hit a greasy patch especially so high up in the chassis.
As long as your happy with it is the main thing I suppose.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RazMan

posted on 24/12/06 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooh I didn't realise that Leggo made petrol tanks - very colourful

I have to repeat the too big & too high comments I'm afraid. Mucho sloshing that high up has to be bad news for handling. 55 litres will give you over 350 miles (at 30mpg) range - do you really need that much?

[Edited on 24-12-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 25/12/06 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Ooooh I didn't realise that Leggo made petrol tanks - very colourful

I have to repeat the too big & too high comments I'm afraid. Mucho sloshing that high up has to be bad news for handling. 55 litres will give you over 350 miles (at 30mpg) range - do you really need that much?

[Edited on 24-12-06 by RazMan]

If you intend to drive distances in France at night, then Yes - unless (by some miracle) you either
find a manned service station
have a Carte Bleu

Agreed on the weight being very high up not being such a good idea - even with baffling.

WRT tail happiness due to weight - the only time I fill my 50l tank is when I'm intending to go a long distance. Rest of the time it's <50% full.

[Edited on 25/12/06 by stevebubs]

macnab

posted on 25/12/06 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote

Lots of interesting comments there!! ha ha ha!

Most are quite right. It is huge but I need range due to the long trips (1000 miles in one day kind) I often do in my cars and both my buggy and Falcon are very bad in that respect. I have run out of fuel I think about 5 times now in the Falcon, very annoying. If you think the colours bad you should see it in real life it does look like it came from a Lego set…but then it’s hidden behind the panelling anyway and I’m sure it will cheer the SVA tester up! Baffles none, but not a problem as I prefer foam filling anyway and have used that stuff for years. I did have a good long think before hand about the height and the effect on handing but considering most of the time it’ll be a third full (that’s what I usually drive cars at) plus I have no cage and the old style heavy steel floor I doubt I’d really notice. Bare in mind I have pretty wide wheels on it also.

Chassis colour, hmm that was a choice a long time ago when I was suppose to do the car in British racing green like an old 7 (big fan of the ‘Prisoner’ yes that show with the weather balloons...), it was black when I got it but had a few cans lying around the garage at the time…

Then again I should have plenty of traction with all that weight!!!

[Edited on 25/12/06 by macnab]

omega 24 v6

posted on 25/12/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was having a think about the sideways force that would be generated under say 1G of cornering force. My mechanics/engineering science knowledge has long been past its sell by date so, if 50litres of fuel plus the weight of the rear overhang of the car weighs at least 70kgs, And the force is the mass times accelerqation then 1G is
70kg * 9.81(1G) which is equal to a sideways force of nearly 700 newtons.
Nothing meant by this by the way ,I'm only playing with figures in my head, but perhaps someone will confirm that my line of thought/calculation is basically correct in theory at least.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

tks

posted on 26/12/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macnab

Then again I should have plenty of traction with all that weight!!!

[Edited on 25/12/06 by macnab]

FALSE

more weight on the same rubber surface means less tracion..

only in the wet when the water needs to be expulsed you will be better off...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.