Builder

Posts 236
Registered 17/11/05
Location Glasgow

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Fiat X1/9 - GRP widebody, Bike carbs, Megajolt

posted on 6/3/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
GRP Panels

Well I know there are some GRP experts on here so I thought I'd give it a shot...

I've just bought a GRP nosecone for the X1/9 (no guesses what happened to the last one!) so the mission for this weekend is to cut the old one out and bond the new one in place, anyone advice on bonding fibreglass to steel?

What materials will I need? I guess its the same idea as fitting fibreglass wings/bodykits, any useful websites with pictures?

Regards,
Iain

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/3/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a GRP expert, but I have repaired more tham my fair share of moncoques. You will beed to weld in a shally V of 1"erw to prevent the inner wings moving and flexing the nosecone up and down in the centre (your old rusty one probably did that, a dead giveaway if you are out to buy one).

I would make up the 'crossmember' first and tack it in before you cut out the steel nose. It will need to be touching the ubderside of the old nose so you will be able to bond the new one to it.

3M structural adhesive is the best, but you will need to clean the remaining steel to a high standard first. It may be easier to weld in a 18g returned lip just inboard of the headlamps and above the star earth connectors (relocate these to the new metal!)

post up some pictures, should be really interesting

Mark
Icsunonove(s) owner 1989-2002

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

panichat

posted on 6/3/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Nose

When I fitted a fibreglass nose to my x1/9 I cut the metal back leaving a 1cm edge, folded it back to make a shelved piece, primed it and bonded it with fibreglass matting and resin to the new nose.
Later I used fibreglass to tidy up the drainage chanels etc.
I don't know if this is the rght way to do it but it has been very secure (for 4 years).
I wish I had taken longer ensuring it was lined up properly though - when i replaced the bonnet I found it was a cople of mm too low ... but I cant see it when I'm driving.
Cheers
Dave

IainB
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 17/11/05
Location Glasgow

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Fiat X1/9 - GRP widebody, Bike carbs, Megajolt

posted on 7/3/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I actually got more useful information here than on the X1/9 forum!! LCB never fails My god Mark, you seem to know your X1/9s inside out, ever thought about scratching the fiat itch again?

I will post up some pictures this weekend of the job, if it goes well maybe i should fit a Dallara kit

Many thanks again,
Iain

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.