Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: He Aint Heavy, He's my Viento
wilkingj

posted on 12/3/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
He Aint Heavy, He's my Viento

Well Its been another long weekend in the Garage. Apart from a good trip out on Sunday to Barton Mills to meet up with others for a quick beer and a natter.

So this is what it all looks like:
Completed 1
Completed 1

Well the Viento Fits just fine.
The Viento Fits!
The Viento Fits!

Ah... Standing on the Runway Waiting for takeoff!!! (Hawkwind) Prepare for Lift Off!
Prepare for Lift Off!

Oh Shite!... He aint heavy... He's My Viento
Looks like I need some extra bracing and more leverage.
He aint heavy, He's My Viento
He aint heavy, He's My Viento

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ecosse

posted on 12/3/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Now that is what I call a set of ramps

Cheers

Alex

BenB

posted on 12/3/07 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Nice ramps!!! Good solution!!
And I bet it kicks ass for knightrider style ramp tricks

MikeRJ

posted on 12/3/07 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'd have put a bit of triangulation into the last section of the ramp though! Scaffold pole seems to be having some trouble as well

[Edited on 13/3/07 by MikeRJ]

dilley

posted on 12/3/07 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
can you make some small extensions on the front, maybe hook on with diagonal brace? if you get it right you should be able to lift it by hand and prop it,.....just an idea
wilkingj

posted on 13/3/07 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have done some "sleep thinking" I usually come up with ideas when I am not thinking about them.

Yes, Its out of square but not that much. Its fairly rigid even with the Viento on it. OK.. I'm not that good a welder, and the frames are a little warped through heat and wee poor measurement. They are not exactly square... But Close enough for gov't work

The problem with the bar is two fold.
1. Its Heavy gauge Gas pipe with a 3mm wall, not scaffold.
2. My Jack is not high enough, so the lift point had to be nearer the pivot / rocking point. This meant less leverage, and has bent the pipe.
The answer is clear, move the pipe mounting further back and get a bigger (higher lift) jack.
I am looking for a simpler solution. I may move the pipe mounting to the extreme rear and use my Land Rover screw jack which will lift to 2 feet plus.

Overall its pretty good. The wheel hubs are at a good working height.
I shall persevere as I have to fix the wife's Fiesta Exhaust as the down pipe has rotted through, and the Viento suspension crush tubes are too short giving me squeeky stiff suspension, and I have some Bigger front brakes to fit.

I have had enough of kneeling and lying on the cold concrete doing cars... I am getting too old for doing that any more

Cost so far £76 for the steel, and a bit of CO2, and mig wire. Three 1mm cutting discs for the Angry Grinder. Oh and much more time that I thought!

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 13/3/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I like it

Tell me you not nervous when you drive your car up into the air like that though

G.Man

posted on 13/3/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Would put some diagonals in, just to stiffen the whole structure...

Otherwise

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Humbug

posted on 13/3/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
it looks like it should be "He IS Heavy, AND He's my Viento"

[Edited on 13.03.2007 by Humbug]

matt_claydon

posted on 13/3/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Great idea, those ramps will make working on the car much more pleasant. Any reason why you didn't put the pivot further back so that the ramps would tip forward by themselves when the car went passed the balance-point? No need for a jack at all them, just a prop at the rear end for safety. I'm pretty sure this is how the ones you see at car dealerships work.

Edit: You might consider a bit of triagnulation in the frames to protect against them collapsing.

[Edited on 13/3/07 by matt_claydon]

ecosse

posted on 13/3/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
How about using one of these to lift it, plenty height and pretty quick too? Rescued attachment RAL_HIGH_LIFT_RATCHET_JACK_.jpg
Rescued attachment RAL_HIGH_LIFT_RATCHET_JACK_.jpg

zetec7

posted on 13/3/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I concur - extend the front of the ramps a foot or so, and the weight of the car will tip it forward to where you want it. No jacks required, and a lot less stress on the whole thing that way, too.

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

andyps

posted on 13/3/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for extending them fowards and putting a support under them just in case - just take it slow over the "tipping point"

Great idea though, whenever I have seen these at dealers I hav ethought how useful they would be, but also how much space they would take up.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

wilkingj

posted on 13/3/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
The Square and Triangular sections are bolted together. Footprint it 3 pieces of 65cm x 44cm the two squares will stack easily. I have them down the side of my car port. Also I use my little Black and Decker Sack barrow to move them. Easy like that.
Just need to sort the jacking out as my jack is too small ie only lifts between 170mm and 400mm.
I need a BIGGER Jack. Will probably use my jack off my Land Rover, which will be big enough to jack from the very rear of the ramps.

Also need to get some Scaffold pole instead of the gas pipe which was just lying about.
Then I will build a jacking beam that rests across the top of the ramps so I can jack the car whilst on the ramps to work on the suspension and hubs / brakes.

I'm getting there!

Best Regards
Geoff

wilkingj

posted on 13/3/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ecosse
How about using one of these to lift it, plenty height and pretty quick too?

Already have one of those... Jackall 8000 or the High Lift Jack, are Excellent jacks. However, damn dangerous if you do not follow the rules, as its a single point jack, and can topple in any direction if you dont chock the vehicle correctly, and think about how you are using it.

IMHO - I didnt like the cheapo Chinese Farm Jack... there appear to be quality differences. I looked at all three jacks before buying, and did not like what I saw, again just my opinion.

I am thinking of the Std Landy Jack which I can use with an Air gun to raise up and down, and also dont need to get it from the Landy everytime I need it.

Best Regards
Geoff

wilkingj

posted on 13/3/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I like it

Tell me you not nervous when you drive your car up into the air like that though

No.. not in the least. Its only about 30degrees. I'm a Landy Driver and have done 50 degree slopes up and down. Off road, and on mud, and wet grass... Now they do give me Involuntary Rectal Exercises

EDIT: Winching is a good idea.. It gives much more control. I have a chain winch, but need to weld on some anchor points, as well as the "X" bracing.

[Edited on 13/3/2007 by wilkingj]

Best Regards
Geoff

Simon

posted on 14/3/07 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Extend the front, and mount two 45 gallon oil drums (with balance pipe), then fill with water from hose.

Locost POWER LIFT

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.