Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota brake discs & pads (now a dealer whinge!)
David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota brake discs & pads (now a dealer whinge!)

My Yaris was serviced today, and they pointed out that the front pads and discs need to be changed. I can see that the discs are a bit ridged (not grooves, raised ridges) but the pads look to have a decent bit of meat on them.

What are likely to be the consequences of carrying on with them for a while, e.g. until the pads are more worn?

The reason for asking is that they wanted £185 to fit new ones! The parts alone are over £150, so they're probably only quoting for 1/2 hour labour charge.

I know this is an easy job and I'll probably do it myself, but I'm struggling to find another source of brand-name brake parts just now. There are some on ebay, but they are definitely not brand names!

Can anyone suggest a good supplier?

cheers,
David

[Edited on 26/3/07 by David Jenkins]

[Edited on 27/3/07 by David Jenkins]

froggy

posted on 26/3/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
most factors will stock blue print parts which cover most jap cars, discs and pads for a 2000ish yaris are about £65 trade
COREdevelopments

posted on 26/3/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
you shouldnt really have a problem getting mintex or blue print. see your local motorfactors.

locogeoff

posted on 26/3/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Give Brakes International a try, been good for me, fast delivery and reasonably priced
britishtrident

posted on 27/3/07 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
BuyPartsBy have the pads at £13.67+vat or £25.08 + vat depending on caliper type and the discs at 2x £15.08+vat

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/brake-pads-display.php?txtemail=1.3&Submit=Submit&txtmake=TOYOTA&txtmodel=Yaris

Because of much longer service intervals most manufacturers have a policy of recommending new pads at 50% thickness wear.

[Edited on 27/3/07 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 27/3/07 by britishtrident]

David Jenkins

posted on 27/3/07 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
A few good leads there...

...many thanks.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Magic!

Got a few prices off the interwebbie, then went down to the local Unipart with a few important dimensions and an outline of the brake pad.

Gave me their first quote, saw me wince, and took sympathy and a fair chunk of the price off! Worked out slightly dearer than the cheapest on-line quote (BuyPartsBy) once delivery charges had been included, and a fair bit cheaper than the next one up. Best bit is that if I've got the wrong bits, it's just a quick drive across town to sort it out.

Happy bunny me!

Bonus! I got the wrong pads - got them changed with no pain, and got £7.60 back as the replacements were cheaper!

[Edited on 27/3/07 by David Jenkins]

David Jenkins

posted on 27/3/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Erm - Maybe they did need changing...

I'm rather less than happy with Ipswich Toyota, who've serviced my car for the past few years. Last time I went for a service they couldn't do an MOT so I went to a garage I know. According to my mate, the wheels hadn't been off for months!

Yesterday I took it to Colchester Toyota. 20 minutes after leaving it with them I get a phone call saying that my discs and pads need replacing. If you look at the piccy below you'll see why they reported a problem. Both outsides were reasonably OK, but the backs were in a dreadful state. The only way to check the back of the discs is to swing the caliper out of the way, which I presume Colchester did, and Ipswich didn't (ever).

I don't believe that they could have got this bad in one service interval - or am I wrong?

One good point is that it was astonishingly easy to change the pads and discs in this car.

DJ Rescued attachment DSCF0002.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0002.JPG

David Jenkins

posted on 27/3/07 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Close-up Rescued attachment DSCF0003.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0003.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.