Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why can't we use the Zetec EFI bits?
scotty g

posted on 14/4/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
why can't we use the Zetec EFI bits?

hi,
i remember reading in PPC a while back about a guy who put a Zetec into a modified Ford Anglia and instead of spending hundreds on an engine management system he re-used the Mondeo engine loom and ECU.
Most people tell me this cannot be done but it clearly can, i just don't know how!
How about some of you more electronical types work it out so we can all save loads of money, got to be a business opportunity going begging here!

MkIndy7

posted on 14/4/07 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Why wouldn't it work...

If you duplicated the setup from the Donor and installed all the relevent parts etc.

I'm sure it could be done but it might be awquard for our sort of car.
Things like the ignition immobilier and keylock all the engine sencors, Lambda cutting into the exhaust etc are the obvious things.

Possibly things like the Airbags might be included in the ECU as well i've no idea, can't see why they can't be fooled to or the basic electonics of them hidden under the dash somewhere.

b184

posted on 14/4/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
air bags

The air bag ecu is in the centre consol according to my auto data cd so that should not be a problem.
The rest should be straight forward enough to work out, only problems are when the ecu uses can-bus systems, this is a signal or pulse rarther than a voltage.
As per MKINDY7 you would have to use the original key as the imobiliser dose go through the ecu and cuts everything off.

mark-wiring

posted on 14/4/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
hi,
i remember reading in PPC a while back about a guy who put a Zetec into a modified Ford Anglia and instead of spending hundreds on an engine management system he re-used the Mondeo engine loom and ECU.
Most people tell me this cannot be done but it clearly can, i just don't know how!
How about some of you more electronical types work it out so we can all save loads of money, got to be a business opportunity going begging here!

You can use the early mondeo ecu and engine loom as they dont have the PATS system in them what your looking for is a mk1 mondeo without the chip in key and then rob the ecu and engine loom from it then its just a case of wiring up the lives and earths easy done with a bit of thought

mark-wiring

posted on 14/4/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
oh and if you can't get a loom and ecu from a non PATS there is a way of using the PATS one without having the key etc as you just move the ecu pins around and it bypasses the PATS not done this myself but i have been told it works
whitestu

posted on 14/4/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger did an Avon with standard EFI - it stuck through the bonnet a lot and looked fairly crap.
UncleFista

posted on 14/4/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
The loom needs cutting off at the three plugs on the car side on the engine-loom.

Supposedly really simple to wire into another car loom. Like 6 wires !

Standard Zetec engine into Cortina link

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

stevebubs

posted on 14/4/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
How hard it is depends on the age of the car it was taken out of.

Early cars are supposedly easier.

Been discussed before, and wiring diagrams uploaded.

Search is your friend...

stevebubs

posted on 14/4/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=35337
StevieB

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Tiger did an Avon with standard EFI - it stuck through the bonnet a lot and looked fairly crap.

I seem to recall something on the luego website about doing the same thing, but it detailed how to cut dorn the manifold so that it fits under the bonnet properly

Schrodinger

posted on 15/4/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

They use a Weber Alpha ECU though, not so locost

bob

posted on 15/4/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

A few years back chrisw had a mk2 fiesta with a mondeo 2 litre zetec in,the engine had a 1.6 zetec plenem with the 2 litre throttle body bolted to it. ITs a slightly smaller plenum chamber and might not stick out of the bonnet like terminal 5 like the tiger one i saw last year, not sure what the size difference is but just a thought.

Rudy

posted on 15/4/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
My engine is running with mondeo 1995 (without immobilizer on the key) engine management system . It can work also without EGR, MAF ecc.

Sorry about my English

Rudy

posted on 15/4/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have left hand drive, I do not know if intake manifold (very big) will cause interference in rhl car.

Sorry about my English

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.