Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: old duffers and rover k.
sarahjane

posted on 10/5/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
old duffers and rover k.

hello from a pair of old duffers,the brother in law[smart alec]and I are rebuilding our locost,out goes 1300 crossflow and in rover 1.4 k mpi,so far so good.now we have all the bits from 1994 mpi car,we also have 1 set of 600 gixer tbs.he says if rover mems ran mpi,why not gixer tbs,[it's got 4 squirty bit similar says he] B*****s,says I things dont happen like that,this is 2007 not 1967.or do they ? any way many thanks for all the info we oldies have picked up from this site yes you can teach old dogs new tricks,ray+alec.
Macbeast

posted on 10/5/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Learning new tricks every day

How to undo the hub nuts on a Sierra ? Blowtorch until the plastic threadlock oozes out (you're going to replace the nuts anyway, aren't you?)

Good luck and race you to the pensions counter.

UncleFista

posted on 10/5/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Being "of a certain age" is no excuse for being a bit slack

Check out Chippy's photo archive, I hope I'm not upsetting him by pointing out he's older than the average builder but I've not been as impressed by anyone as much as I have by him. He's done everything in the "proper" locost style, from designing the chassis and building it, to bodywork and megasquirt !

I hope I'm half as open to new stuff when I'm his age

BTW I don't suppose you're Sarah Jane from cbeebies channel are you ? *dribbles*....

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

nitram38

posted on 10/5/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Will you gain much in the way of bhp by using bike TB's on the 1.4 ltr engine?

rustybits

posted on 11/5/07 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
u have u2u

The big hammer artiste formerly know as skodaman

sarahjane

posted on 11/5/07 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
your user name is not always your own name,as we are old duffers we got one of the kids to set it up:ray+alec.p,s need space more than horsepower,but would not say no to afew more gee gees,and tb,s look the watsits,with bells on.

[Edited on 11/5/07 by sarahjane]

[Edited on 11/5/07 by sarahjane]

britishtrident

posted on 11/5/07 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Mems works mainly on the MAP sensor signal (manifold absolute pressure), on the standard Rover manifold this signal is fairly well damped by the manifold volume with seperate throttle bodies even if you tee all four together the pressure signal is going to have much higher amplitude pulses than he Rover setup.

In short I don't know it might work it might not.

If going to throttlebodies I would go for Megasquirt, however other easier tweaks are around for the K.
If you can find one the early Mpi 1.4 used a cast alloy inlet manifold which is worth a few horsepower at 1994 your engine might already have one, if it has the downside is it will have a much less sporty cam profile than the later K engines, easy to fix with a cam transplant.

Another simple mod is to raise the fuel pressure by "adjusting" the fuel pressure regulator in a vice.

sarahjane

posted on 11/5/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that bt,ray.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.