Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra indicator stalk
iiyama

posted on 11/11/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra indicator stalk

Hi peeps!
Im a little unsure as to the common pin on the indicators, (Sierra stalk), I know pins for left and right but need a little pointer to the third!

Ta!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

marcotuinenburg

posted on 11/11/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

It took me a long time to find out what's what.
Don't know how i did it but i did use this picure from someone on the forum.Image deleted by owner

iiyama

posted on 11/11/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Got that already bud, hence knowing the left and right pins. Dosent seem clear to me what the common pin is though?

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

omega 24 v6

posted on 11/11/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean by common?? common positive or common negative.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

dan__wright

posted on 11/11/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
you go from the switches to indicator to ground, two wires go from the switch to the relay

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

iiyama

posted on 11/11/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
The indicator switch is basically a normally open switch. to close it you push it up or down. The common is the wire that goes to the relay, the N/O contacts go to left and right which are shown on the above diagram.

omega 24 v6

posted on 11/11/07 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
the common wire to the FLASHER unit is 49a black and white. Remeber there are 2 differing sierra switchgear depending on age. My take on the matter regarding flasher and hazards using the wiring I have is as follows. The hazard switch has a pos and ign feed to it.
When not in use the ign feed is utilised to feed the flasher unit to pin 49. this in turn feeds up the 49a black white wire to power the indivdual left or right indicators.
When the hazards are used then the pos wire comes into play powering up 49 on the flasher and dropping out the ign feed. At the same time internally on the hazard switch (std sierra one) the left AND right indicator circuits are BOTH powered from 49a.
Hope this makes sense as my notes are 8 months old and although I had them working on the bench they are a long way from being on the car.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

iiyama

posted on 12/11/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Got the stalk out of an F plate car, havent got it in front of me now but I think its a square hazard switch. However Im using a savage hazard not the one of the column.

Looks like the black/white wire is the one Im after so yup! Looks like youve pointed me in the right direction but Ill stick a meter across it later and that should tell me for sure.

Thanks mucka!

iiyama

posted on 12/11/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Got the stalk out of an F plate car, havent got it in front of me now but I think its a square hazard switch. However Im using a savage hazard not the one of the column.

Looks like the black/white wire is the one Im after so yup! Looks like youve pointed me in the right direction but Ill stick a meter across it later and that should tell me for sure.

Thanks mucka!

iiyama

posted on 12/11/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Black/white it is!

Arthur Dent

posted on 16/11/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
This site helped me hugely when wiring my Sierra column.

http://www.colinusher.info/Robin%20Hood/pwswiring.html

of special interest - http://www.colinusher.info/Robin%20Hood/wireap4.html

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

iiyama

posted on 18/11/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the abnove post, but the column I have is not listed on that site!

I now have a new question pertaining to the stalk!

Im wiring in main and dip lights. The switch seems to link pin 56A-56 and 56B-56. All well and good except that pin 56 is -ve. So am I to believe that the sierra switches -ve rather then +ve to the relay? Always thought it was better to switch +ve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.