Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looks like trouble on Atom Forum
nitram38

posted on 24/11/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like trouble on Atom Forum

After a few atom like cars on their forum (mine included) they have posted this:
The Ariel Atom Owners Club has recently been contacted by the Ariel Motor Company with a complaint regarding the promotion of Atom ‘clones’ on the AAOC Forum. Whilst we are not responsible to the factory in any way, if they believe that the forum is being used for the purpose of promoting or assisting in the production of vehicles which may infringe their rights, it could lead the club into legal action. We have therefore as a club agreed to add a new rule to the Forum rules:

This forum exists for the benefit of those interested specifically in the Ariel Atom. Promoting or assisting in the production of any car that is considered in the eyes of the Ariel Motor Company to be a design copy of the Ariel Atom, could potentially involve the Ariel Atom Owner’s Club in a legal dispute. Any such post will therefore be removed by a moderator. Continued infringement of the rule may result in the poster been banned from the forum.

The club appreciates this means that anyone who wants a DIY Atom will longer be able to discuss their project on the forum.

In the cause of free speech, we will not be deleting any existing posts. This thread will contain all the posts on other threads which discussed Atom ‘projects’ merged into one. Again, with free speech in mind, the Club has no objection to people discussing the rule itself on the thread, however any subsequent posts that contravene the rule above will be removed.

You can read the whole thread here

Hammerhead

posted on 24/11/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Would Ariel motor co be able to successfully sue an internet forum for publishing this kind of stuff?

graememk

posted on 24/11/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
think i might start building one then now

russbost

posted on 24/11/07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
"Would Ariel motor co be able to successfully sue an internet forum for publishing this kind of stuff?"

Very much doubt it, but it's a bit like Caterham & the no. 7 - they have the financial clout & muscle to threaten legal action which could be ridiculously expensive to all concerned.
As mongrooveworkshop (do you have to have such a long name!!!) says, all atom clone builders are welcome here - you can never have too large a knowledge base.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nitram38

posted on 24/11/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think the difference between us and "them" is that they are buyers and we are builders.............

Another thing is I have built my car in the style of, not a copy/clone.
I am surprised that they haven't started legal proceedings towards people who make "atom" clones like the MEV rocket.

[Edited on 24/11/2007 by nitram38]

Jubal

posted on 24/11/07 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Stuff like this really makes me chuckle. As if anyone who is seriously considering an Atom would be swayed by the clones. If anything, the clones will help them sell more Atoms.

But in fairness to the owners club they lose little by banning discussion of clones so the decision is a no brainer. Clone owners/builders would be much better off here I reckon, how many Atom owners actualy get their hands dirty?

donut

posted on 24/11/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
3 words come to mind, 'a' 'Life' & 'Get' !!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 24/11/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
3 words come to mind, 'a' 'Life' & 'Get' !!!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scottc

posted on 24/11/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think the real issue here, is that obviously its a single manufacturer forum and of course they don't want to annoy that manufacturer.
britishtrident

posted on 24/11/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
They never learn --

Caterham got up a lot of potential buyers noses with the litigation against all and sundry -- it must have cost them sales.

Likewise Ferrari damaged their image with the F1 toy throwing this years.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bob

posted on 24/11/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I see an oportunity here for chrisw to open up another area for those guys to debate on, working on this site will cause no offence to the AA owners club.

BenB

posted on 24/11/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
One of the tour organisers on the Sevens list Ireland Tour runs a garage in N. Ireland where he helps all the N. Ireland Cateringvan owners (there isn't an official presense in N. Ireland). He called his garage something like "7th Heaven" and Cateringvan went crazy and threatened a whole load of litigation. Which was pretty mean considering he was part of reason people bought Cateringvans in N. Ireland in the first place and the Irish Tour got the cars loads of free advertising in the local papers, tv etc....

Talk about ungrateful......

Shed loads of us from the Sevens list wrote to the then owner of Cateringvan and in the end he got made an official Cateringvan garage Job done....

Big companies sure know how to wee off the people who allow them to exist in the first place (ie their customers!!!)....

#Rotor

posted on 24/11/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
damn I'm too late.....

only my 2nd PM on that forum and it's mister "freekin driven it all" reading me my rights...

nitram38

posted on 24/11/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
3Rotor, I know two cars he won't be driving !
#Rotor

posted on 24/11/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
well for one I never knew the Atom did not have any proper engine mounts, Now only on their new one, are they using rubber mounts, wonder who is now copying who...

as far as I know the only thing they can sue for is if you try to make people think it is actually an Atom... IE you advertise as such or as an Atom replica.... even that I think can be sued for... it's like BMW taking a Merc badge and stick it onto one of there cars, they do look pretty damn the exact same thing otherwise anyhow.... as for copying it, well that is a pretty damn serious accusation to be tossed about by people who don't even know which way around the sump-nut goes loose, when your upside down with grit in your eyes....

[Edited on 24/11/07 by #Rotor]

nitram38

posted on 24/11/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have an entirely different drivetrain and engine set up for starters!
Also, Air ride suspension so that I can vary my ride height at the flick of a switch (well 2 really front/rear).
I would be surprised if any judge would say it was a copy.

#Rotor

posted on 24/11/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well I can actually built 3 (three) Neo1-300's and have about 100,000 left for fuel and tires and whatnot, for what a turnkey Atom300 will cost me here..... that is including buying new tools, milling machines, lathes and welders for each and every build....

Ok I won't be making the molds again.... that is just way to damn much work....

COREdevelopments

posted on 24/11/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
rotor have you got any more pics of the neo??

#Rotor

posted on 24/11/07 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
some samples...

I just fixed my www button

you can clickit if you dare...

or you can click here

that is our official site, I am not responsible for what is on it though, sometimes it gets stuck, the ISP we are on apparently is not all that clewed up on matters Apache and PHP.

I am on flickr though...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3rotor/

robertst

posted on 25/11/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
In the cause of free speech, we will not be deleting any existing posts. Again, with free speech in mind, the Club has no objection to people discussing the rule itself on the thread, however any subsequent posts that contravene the rule above will be removed.

: I LOVE THAT! we shall not delete any past posts "in the cause of free speech" but any post from now onwards shall be deleted!!!

why not just save the "free speech" remark if you're going to make it a redundant oxymoron?

Tom

#Rotor

posted on 25/11/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
amazing how fast they are to cry copycat, yet they don't even notice one of their fundamental rights, one on which our civilization is based, being brutally decapitated in public.

I guess none so blind as those who don't want to see....

nitram38

posted on 25/11/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Some idiot is ranting on how my "copy" is copyright infringement and that I should be sued!
What an arse

Read Here

t.j.

posted on 25/11/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Looks someone is jealous that you make a fine car.

I wouldn't go to the forum anymore
It's obivius that they don't like home-builders.

In fact every car is a copy off something the designer has learned.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

oadamo

posted on 25/11/07 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Bring it on dickwad

pmsl i spat pop over my laptop and nearly chocked
adam

COREdevelopments

posted on 25/11/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
remember that indian dude on the 206 advert? when he turns his clapped out banger into an even more clapped out banger "a 206" wonder if he would of got treated like this?

And nitram you seem to be posting more pics of your stunning build on the AAOC than here! please post more on here as the pics are more appreciated.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.