Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Pump Location
Colnago_Man

posted on 28/2/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Pump Location

Evening...
Just been trying to figure out the best location for the fuel pump for the bike engine. I've read all the discussion as to weather it should at the tank end of the car or by the engine. I've pretty much decided to try and mount it near the tank.
My initial idea was to try and fit in next the tank in the very far corner in the quarter circle part formed by the chassis rails. Trouble is there isnt enough room between the tank and pump to fit the filter.
Would it be a disaster to fit the filter after the pump?
Where else have you BEC guys put you pumps? Pics would be great.
Thanks

nitram38

posted on 28/2/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
My build is not a 7 but I am using an R1 inj engine. The pump is from the bike and will go in the bottom of my fuel tank.
The level indicator (reserve) will be wired to an led on my dash to let me know when to refill.

BenB

posted on 28/2/08 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a pump right next to the engine with the fuel filter immediately after...

No problems with fuelling so far....

bassett

posted on 29/2/08 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've just spent my evening making brackets for my r1 fuel pump and attaching it to the chassis. Ive put it in line with the diff, attached to the chassis so that the left drivshaft will be above it and held down with 2xm6 bolts. As for the filter im mounting it after the pump and near the engine as thats what MNR recommended and you can see if fuel is flowing when the engines running

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

britishtrident

posted on 29/2/08 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Only fit a screen (ie coarse) before the pump --- any paper filter should be fitted after the pump.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nitram38

posted on 29/2/08 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I have looked at the R1 manual and there isn't any filter between the pump and the inj system.
I think that it is built into the pump.

badding

posted on 1/3/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I mounted mine..zx9r to

pics tell everything Rescued attachment ok.JPG
Rescued attachment ok.JPG

nitram38

posted on 1/3/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Are you running an injection engine?
If you are then I don't think that the filter in your picture will last long and it could even disintergrate.

badding

posted on 1/3/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
No it's no injection, just plain carbs
Guinness

posted on 2/3/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Badding's solution. Mine is almost the same, but mounted vertically in front of the tank, but between the chassis rails.

I had significant lack of top end performance at the last track day I did. Traced it to either the fuel pump (then located under the bonnet) or the spark plug leads (home made). I moved the pump to the boot and fitted original ZZR leads (which meant relocating the coils). Cured the problem, but I can't identify which one it was, or if it was a combination!

Mike

badding

posted on 2/3/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yooohooo badding for president

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Another vote for Badding's solution. Mine is almost the same, but mounted vertically in front of the tank, but between the chassis rails.

I had significant lack of top end performance at the last track day I did. Traced it to either the fuel pump (then located under the bonnet) or the spark plug leads (home made). I moved the pump to the boot and fitted original ZZR leads (which meant relocating the coils). Cured the problem, but I can't identify which one it was, or if it was a combination!

Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.